Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
Why is Cooper the problem?

I think his signing an extension with the Sox was seen as not being loyal to the almighty Guillen in Joe's world, and I guess Cooper really has never thought too much of Cowley, so Joe likes to take shots whether there is any validity to them or not, every chance he gets.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
Why is Cooper the problem?

Probably no control over a major part of the team. The guy will get all the blame, and none of the credit, for the pitching staff.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)
ChrisDeLuca Chris De Luca

More Ken Williams on Robin Ventura: "With the current roster, and our future roster, he is just the guy that we have to have." #whitesox

3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

I have no idea what this means. He's cheap?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:54 PM)
Wow. A lot of overreaction here, in my opinion. I think the guy knows baseball, and it seems like he has the respect of the players. We'll have to wait and see.

What exactly has he done to earn the players respect? Worked his way up? Gained experience? Done anything to establish himself as wanting this job?

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:55 PM)
I can't wait until Robin resigns in a year and half after realizing the stresses of managing are a lot more than he anticipated.

If you can't wait for that, why are you wasting your time on a White Sox fan message board?

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:17 PM)
I'm willing to give him a chance. Everyone here knows he's going to be the worst manager ever. But remember, a poll here showed that a majority of posters said they managed better than Oz, all Robin has to do is be as good as the average poster here and it's a major upgrade.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81618

Which is exactly why it is a huge joke that people here seem to think they know what kind of manager Robin will be.

I can accept the criticism in regards to the lack of experience. But there is so much to managing that includes working with people and egos, and as far as that goes, almost none of us know how skilled or unskilled Robin is.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)
Can someone please tell me what Robin Ventura could have learned waving guys in from the 3rd base coach's box or holding elbow pads in the first base coach's box or sitting next to a manager telling him what he would do, that he in no way could have picked up all those years he played? What makes Ventura a worse candidate than Martinez or Alomar? Steve Phillips was on the radio and he was talking Dave Martinez. He said he would never hire him as a manager because he thinks he lacks presence. That's his opinion and could be way off, but Martinez has interviewed for a couple of jobs and apparently didn't do so well.

No one is a guarantee, but I like Ventura's chances.

You are right Dick.

The reality is Ventura has been on Chairman Reinsdorf's managerial short list since the day he retired. He knows exactly what he has in Ventura.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:56 PM)
What exactly has he done to earn the players respect? Worked his way up? Gained experience? Done anything to establish himself as wanting this job?

He's a pretty good guy who had a real nice career. Mike Quade worked his way up and that team walked all over him. I doubt that happens to Ventura. Do you really think Alex Rios would respect Dave Martinez more because he was a bench coach?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:57 PM)
If you can't wait for that, why are you wasting your time on a White Sox fan message board?

Because I'm indifferent on the hire. The manager is going to make little difference in this organization as constructed right now.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:59 PM)
...none of us know how skilled or unskilled Robin is.

Including the Sox organization. Can anyone really say how he will work with players? He's never been in any type of role to teach, mentor, coach or anything. Seems like a huge gamble to let him start now. What if he has huge issues communicating to players or getting them to follow his lead.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:27 PM)
I sure hope Ventura doesn't try to pull a pitcher and signal for a lefty instead of a righty...oops!

Or pull a pitcher without one having warmed up.

Ventura was actually the person who gave Bevington the solution to that one. They brought in a cold pitcher to intentionally walk a guy thus not stressing his arm, while they had another warm up in the pen.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:59 PM)
Which is exactly why it is a huge joke that people here seem to think they know what kind of manager Robin will be.

I can accept the criticism in regards to the lack of experience. But there is so much to managing that includes working with people and egos, and as far as that goes, almost none of us know how skilled or unskilled Robin is.

But there's a degree of experience going into how to prep different guys in the offseason and the spring to get different guys ready. Our last manager towards the end started refusing to adapt. Now we have a guy who hasn't been involved in the game since the steroid/amphetamine era. No way he has any way to adapt his preparation style to other guys. It's a roll of the dice about whether whatever style he has will break through to these guys before April.

Look...I'm not pissed about Robin Ventura in general...he may turn out to be a very good manager at some point down the road. But we're not in complete rebuild mode. I think what pisses me off is the blatant "cronyism" that this friggin organization has turned into...loyalty to a fault. This is almost like a bad remake of a Blues Brothers movie "we're gettin' the band back together"....or not to bring politics into this but Obama appointing his under qualified cronies to posts. Like a said...I'll give him a chance...but would it have killed Kenny "The Genius" Williams/JR to at least go thru the goddamn interview process and at least give the appearance of doing due diligence instead of some knee jerk hiring it seems the entire baseball world is scratching their head over.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:56 PM)

Layoff the booze.

Players could give a s*** about earning your stripes as a manager. What they most often care about is whether or not you played the game.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:58 PM)
He must have done something as the rover this year to impress the Sox.

He's been a spring training instructor in the past. Face it, the Sox love him. It was shocking he got the job. I never even considered him a candidate and from the report, neither did he. But he is accepting the challenge. If the players feel the same way about him his teammates over the years did, they are going to really want to play for him, but as he said, good players come ready to play everyday.

The only thing I'm upset about with the hire is that the Sox are not getting someone with something to add to the organization, in terms of a different perspective. Martinez would have at least added aspects that have proven to be successful in a first class organization.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 10:06 PM)
Layoff the booze.

Players could give a s*** about earning your stripes as a manager. What they most often care about is whether or not you played the game.

Seriously, a player doesn't care whether the stuff the manager is preaching has worked before? I don't buy that.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:04 PM)
Including the Sox organization. Can anyone really say how he will work with players? He's never been in any type of role to teach, mentor, coach or anything. Seems like a huge gamble to let him start now. What if he has huge issues communicating to players or getting them to follow his lead.

He was a spring training instructor for a couple of years. I've never met him, but supposedly he's impossible not to like. I never liked him as much as most as a player, but I'm kind of giddy about this.

Balta,

Why do people keep saying Ventura must have been the cheapest solution?

I would have to imagine Dave Martinez or Sandy Alomar would have come cheaper. Why? Because they are both already willing to work for a bench coach salary. Any job is going to be an increase in salary, and if anything it stands to reason the Sox may have had to overpay Ventura to convince him to actually pay the job. He has consistently turned down coaching jobs, so you have to expect that his paycheck was part of the reason he said yes.