Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:23 PM)
Probably that he likes to be home in CA and really doesn't need to work, but if you want to make it worthwhile..........................

Yeah, it's not like he's desperate for a job. His leverage is "ok, I'll stay at home with my millions of dollars and my family"

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)
He could have said, 'Thanks but no thanks"

You act like Ventura needs money, he made over $60mil in his playing career. Dave Martinez needs the money, Ventura doesnt. Ventura could buy Ozzie guillen.

uhhh

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:18 PM)
He also thinks we're not in rebuild mode and that he expects a solid offseason and competing next year, TTFWIW.

Am I missing something? Why do people think this? If we are "All-In" again next year, we hire the most unproven commodity there is to manage the ball club? (I'm not against his hiring) What about Kenny's comments that he doesn't expect Ventura to hit the ground running, and that he will have to grow into the job over the years? The reiteration that there won't be a marquee signing this offseason? The comments about reining it in and playing the kids because of always trying for that knockout punch? Maybe I'm completely off-base, but it seems to me that they are hiring a younger green manager (which I'm okay with) to go along with the younger inexperienced roster of this year and perhaps next.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:24 PM)
He could have said, 'Thanks but no thanks"

You act like Ventura needs money, he made over $60mil in his playing career. Dave Martinez needs the money, Ventura doesnt. Ventura could buy Ozzie guillen.

Ventura may not need money, I am willing to go out on a limb and say he is one of the 3 lowest paid manager's in the MLB when the money part of the contract comes out Friday. That is why people say he was hired on the cheap.

I guess this is ok, but very cheap..

As long as he is liked by the players and doesn't make stupid decisions I don't see how this is any different from anyone else who could have been here.. its not like you have to be a genius to be a winning manager..

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:45 PM)
Or perhaps not. Manager salaries are not as available as player salaries, we may never know for sure what they are paying him.

I'd really be shocked if it's not around $500,000

One thing he did say...which I like...but remains to be seen and is a stark contrast:

"I ran the gamut on different styles and smart baseball men," he said.

His style? Yet to be determined. He said he wants players who care and are accountable.

It's not about the money. It's about the opportunity. If Robin wanted to manage he knows he either accepts this job or he's in for a LONG road to become one. No organization other than the Sox would hire Robin. It would be a rather simple negotiation.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 03:42 AM)
He was???? :wacko:

yep. glib. entertaining. candid. willing to say whatever he wanted to say regardless of consequence. all things that are loved by the folks you hold a conference call/press conference for.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:45 PM)
Or perhaps not. Manager salaries are not as available as player salaries, we may never know for sure what they are paying him.

I am sure with a little research you could find out any manager's salary, nobody keeps a secret anymore. I know OG salary there is one off the list. Thing is I really like Ventura the player and the person and hope he is not being used in a JR/KW chess game.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:56 PM)
What exactly has he done to earn the players respect? Worked his way up? Gained experience? Done anything to establish himself as wanting this job?

Played the game honest and hard?

What bothers me is that there probably was no interview set up with Francona, La Russa, Dave Martinez or Sandy Alomar, Jr. That probably wasn't released at the conference call today but that would be interesting to know. Because La Russa might only jump ship when Pujols leaves, Francona is taking a year off to play with his nuts, Alomar just got promoted and Dave Martinez will command a large salary. And the other thing that weirds me out is that Ventura has no experience anywhere. Was he that good of an athlete to get these guys on base, keep them from striking out, light a fire in Dunn's ass when he's hitting .150 in April and win 85+ games?

Clearly Batman and Robin are running this show now. Screw it, let the Sox be mediocre for the next three years and bring up some kids. That will definitely put asses in the seats: Come see Gilligan manage this club.

Maybe I will go to SoxFest and boo Kenny Williams each time he answers a question at Q&A. I'm glad someone got employed, but I am stunned it is Ventura.

Archive

Florida Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen's contract for 2012 will be $250,000 less than the amount he would have made managing the Chicago White Sox next season. Guillen will make $10 million over the life of his four-year deal (for an annual base of $2.5 million) to lead the newly named Miami Marlins, major league sources told ESPNChicago.com.

The same sources confirmed that Guillen made $2.5 million with the White Sox in 2011 and was scheduled to make $2.75 million in 2012.

I'm excited that the new manager is a smart person instead of a loudmouth dumb person like we've had for 8 years.

I'm psyched that the new manager was a hitter in his playing days unlike our previous manager.

This can only be an improvement.