Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

I am not saying I'm right. Appearances can be misleading.

But I can't get over the vision of watching Ventura as color announcer at the College World Series this year when they interviewed Bush.

It was neat cause Bush kept asking Ventura questions.

But Robin seems like such a nice, proper guy in his impeccable suit and tie.

Man he does not seem like a big league manager.

Managers get all worried and uptight and weirded out. Watching Leyland worries me almost.

Ventura is Mr. Cool. Mr. Class.

I just can't see him managing.

Not a rip. He just seems like he should have a suit and tie on at all times while speaking in a low voice to people at business meetings.

He's the antithesis (sp) of Yogi Berra/Earl Weaver I guess is what I'm trying to say.

Welcome to a modern era manager I guess.

I guess he'll study Sabes all the time and hopefully it'll work.

Hope I made my point clear. Like every Sox fan, I like the guy but I can't picture him managing for some reason.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 05:23 AM)
Is there actually such a thing as a Sox fan anymore? By that I mean, is there anyone out there who hopes the team does well, and who would rather be positive about the future? I find it kind of strange that coming off one of the most disappointing Sox seasons in history that there are still people out there who not only think we can do much worse, but also seem to hope we do worse, and appear to be eager to see the team fail so they can be "right" rather than enjoy a future season of competitive baseball.

I don't think any of us hope we'll do worse.

It may seem that way. It's not the case in my opinion.

I'd like nothing better than Robin open 20-10 the first few weeks.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:23 AM)
Is there actually such a thing as a Sox fan anymore? By that I mean, is there anyone out there who hopes the team does well, and who would rather be positive about the future? I find it kind of strange that coming off one of the most disappointing Sox seasons in history that there are still people out there who not only think we can do much worse, but also seem to hope we do worse, and appear to be eager to see the team fail so they can be "right" rather than enjoy a future season of competitive baseball.

I don't know about anybody else, but I hope the Sox lose every game next season and that all of the players get AIDS. That's just me, though. Oh, and I will be especially happy if I'm right about all of this.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:28 AM)

I actually don't mean you so much, greg. You have a love for Ozzie that I don't understand but I don't think you're a hater, just a pessimist.

BTW in your other post I think you were doing a good job of illustrating why Robin would be a good manager, not a bad one. I don't think we need someone who exudes emotion at every turn, we just (mainly) need someone to get the players on his side. Even you would have to admit that Ozzie was a much better manager in his earlier years here, and also that it seemed pretty clear (without assigning fault to anyone in particular) that during the last couple of seasons Ozzie lost the players.

My favorite thing about Ventura is that when no one thought he could cut it at 3B, he worked hard and transformed himself into a gold glove third baseman. I really hope he does the same thing as manager for the Sox.

I really don't understand the outrage about this hire. Surprising? Yeah, but there were worse moves you could have made. There is no doubt that Ventura knows baseball as well, if not better, than the other candidates. There is no doubt that Ventura is a good person and hard working. The only doubt there is about Ventura is how well he can manage a clubhouse and players. But I feel that Ventura is such a respected and smart player that he might be able to learn quick.

Will he succeed or fail? I don't know, but I think he has decent odds. One thing I know for sure though, he will be easy to root for because he is a great person who loves baseball and hopefully won't make a full out of himself and bash the whole fan base when things don't go right.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:23 AM)

I don't hope the team does get worse. I just see NO reason to not expect them to, based on the people in charge. And the future season of competitive baseball is in the distant future. Certainly beyond 2012.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:30 AM)
I don't know about anybody else, but I hope the Sox lose every game next season and that all of the players get AIDS. That's just me, though. Oh, and I will be especially happy if I'm right about all of this.

:lolhitting That's how the average sox fan feels.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 01:06 AM)
My favorite thing about Ventura is that when no one thought he could cut it at 3B, he worked hard and transformed himself into a gold glove third baseman. I really hope he does the same thing as manager for the Sox.

I really don't understand the outrage about this hire. Surprising? Yeah, but there were worse moves you could have made. There is no doubt that Ventura knows baseball as well, if not better, than the other candidates. There is no doubt that Ventura is a good person and hard working. The only doubt there is about Ventura is how well he can manage a clubhouse and players. But I feel that Ventura is such a respected and smart player that he might be able to learn quick.

Will he succeed or fail? I don't know, but I think he has decent odds. One thing I know for sure though, he will be easy to root for because he is a great person who loves baseball and hopefully won't make a full out of himself and bash the whole fan base when things don't go right.

the outrage is that he was hired, without anyone else even given the opportunity of an interview, the outrage is that there were highly praised, better qualified options available and none of them were even an afterthought unless Ventura declined Kenny's offer

this was Kenny getting his yes-man, and he couldn't have that with LaRussa, Francona, Martinez, or Alomar. that's all this is, and thus outrage

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:28 AM)

I hope he's opening as manager is better than his opening as player...yikes

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 11:30 PM)

Aids was sooooo a few years ago. It's all about cancer now.

QUOTE (Real @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 01:17 AM)
the outrage is that he was hired, without anyone else even given the opportunity of an interview, the outrage is that there were highly praised, better qualified options available and none of them were even an afterthought unless Ventura declined Kenny's offer

this was Kenny getting his yes-man, and he couldn't have that with LaRussa, Francona, Martinez, or Alomar. that's all this is, and thus outrage

So you'd rather they wasted all the other potential managers time and their time after they decided they wanted to go this way? Its obvious that they've been planning this or at least hoping for it, for a while, if kenny is telling the truth. So why interview those people? I don't think its an effective use of time. I don't think its fair to interview people for a position that is already filled.

Everything else you said was conjecture and not worth responding to (like so much else that has been said in this thread).

QUOTE (Real @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 11:17 PM)

So much the truth right here.

Anyone know of any early reports on the 2013 Draft cause I'm seeing 90+ losses next season...

QUOTE (Real @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 01:17 AM)

Not you, nor anyone else on this messageboard can speak to which candidate is "better qualified" to manage this team. There is no way in hell anyone here could possibly have any sense of what would qualify someone to

hold that title, with these players, for this franchise. Ever. But so many here believe they can and thus feel compelled to outrage. Hilarious.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)
This is obviously a "We're going to suck for 3 to 5 years so who cares" move.

Of course!!! WE ARE A REBUILDING FRANCHISE PEOPLE............ Dave Martinez is going to manage the Red Sox. For what we have, this is awesome!!! I also called it a year ago. Love it.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 01:06 AM)

"There were worse moves you could have made." High praise, and I (for some reason I'm not even sure of anymore) hope for a higher standard.

As to the bold part, I don't know how you can say such things, especially that there is "no doubt" about it. We don't know that, as we don't know that he knows less than the other candidates.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:04 PM)
Including the Sox organization. Can anyone really say how he will work with players? He's never been in any type of role to teach, mentor, coach or anything. Seems like a huge gamble to let him start now. What if he has huge issues communicating to players or getting them to follow his lead.

You might want to look into the fact that Ventura has worked with several past and present players both in the minors and on the current 40-Man roster in recent seasons as teacher, mentor and coach in AZ before each season.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 06:06 AM)

It's not so much outrage, but in my mind it's sadness because to me this signals the Sox know we are going to suck for some time to come.

So Robin is the perfect manager to manage a team that has no chance to win.

I would look for Buehrle be the first domino to fall the wrong way.

He will soon announce he's looking elsewhere.

Then I feel AJ will be dealt. Somebody will take him.

Those will be 2 fairly significant cost cutting moves (even AJ's contract is money they'll be happy to dump with Flowers/Castro taking over) to go with the money they save in trading Robin for Oz.

After that, once the winter rolls around I look for CQ to be dealt and one of Danks/Floyd, maybe both.

Then our team will REALLY be in rebuilding mode and I look for about 104 losses next year.

It's just too obvious a move. It signals the dreaded rebuild.

I think most of us like Robin Ventura a lot. It's sadness for me. Rebuilding has begun. No hope of pennant next year.

I hope Jerry likes the end of his days on earth (the odds are nobody lives to 90/100) will be with the White Sox's home ballpark about 1/3 full on a nightly basis.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)
Amazing column by Cowley.

Wow. Cooper was THAT MUCH of a snake?

Wait til the players read this. Horrible joke of a franchise.

I just knew KW was sucking up and this proves it. And Cooper? The people who have said what a rotten personality he has? This just makes sense he'd look out for No. 1. I LOVE Ozzie's text to Coop. It's Ozzie's way of letting him know bout Judas.

If this is true, Cowley deserves a sports Pulitzer for the scoop.

And to think I today was thinking Coop deserved the job over Ventura.

Coop sounds like he may ruin the clubhouse next year when this story is made public to the players. Nobody likes a backstabber. Nobody!

Seriously, I know other people have already commented on this post probably but I just got to it and have to comment.

You are seriously going to believe a word Cowley writes? It's almost sick how much you love Ozzie. Cooper is a much better coach then him, and he was just looking out for himself knowing Ozzie was probably getting close to being done. Cooper lives in Chicago he was just trying to make sure had a job where he lived and has coached forever.

I'm honestly shocked you are not a marlins fan right now with how much you love Ozzie. He's a worthless manager with a much too big ego. Ventura has not even coached a game yet and he's already better.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 08:33 AM)
Seriously, I know other people have already commented on this post probably but I just got to it and have to comment.

You are seriously going to believe a word Cowley writes? It's almost sick how much you love Ozzie. Cooper is a much better coach then him, and he was just looking out for himself knowing Ozzie was probably getting close to being done. Cooper lives in Chicago he was just trying to make sure had a job where he lived and has coached forever.

I'm honestly shocked you are not a marlins fan right now with how much you love Ozzie. He's a worthless manager with a much too big ego. Ventura has not even coached a game yet and he's already better.

I just read all the Trib articles and Lamont's quotes and this is a scary hire.

Yes I believe Cowley. If he's wrong, he's putting his job on the line. What Cooper did is really sleazy.

Nobody likes a backstabber. It's WRONG. If this was the 1950s, Ozzie would beat his ass.

But nowadays he'll spend time in prison for smashing Coop a good one in the nose.

(I'm assuming the article is true; if not, my bad).

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 08:33 AM)

I'm not a Marlins fan because this is like when one of your favorite players is traded.

It sucks big time but you don't become a fan of that other team.

Hey for whatever reason Rios might decide he wants to impress Robin Ventura for some reason and might have a great season.

Dunn might like the guy after meeting him and decide to put in a little more work this winter and try some different things to make an adjustment or two and actually hit .270 with 44 home runs.

Youneverknow.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (MAX @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 01:29 AM)
So you'd rather they wasted all the other potential managers time and their time after they decided they wanted to go this way? Its obvious that they've been planning this or at least hoping for it, for a while, if kenny is telling the truth. So why interview those people? I don't think its an effective use of time. I don't think its fair to interview people for a position that is already filled.

Everything else you said was conjecture and not worth responding to (like so much else that has been said in this thread).

Martinez and Alomar both stated they weren't interviewed, Alomar even went so far as to say he wasn't contacted at all

conjecture?

your logic about "wasting their time", that's a ridiculous way of looking at it, and I laugh at a professional sports team that goes into the process of hiring a new mgr with the full mindset on getting a guy less qualified than others available, and thus not even bothering to interview other potential candidates

what a joke