Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 08:52 AM)
This is the most important part. Right now I am pissed beyond all belief. I have been this mad with the organization twice. Once with the Brandon Mccarthy deal, and once when they let Robin walk away by offering a joke of a contract. Maybe he will turn out OK, but if you really want Ventura to manage, make him the bench coach for a few years next to someone with at least some coaching experience. Or let him manage in the minors. Don't make him the manager from day one. This is just awful.

You remember how much of the season we spent complaining about the seeming complete lack of professionalism coming from the front office? The lack of respect for the people watching the games, paying their bills, etc.?

I thought we'd gotten rid of most of that when we got rid of Ozzie...but this move reeks of the same ethos. I feel like this is a giant middle finger at me.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:56 PM)
NYY

Manager & Coaches

# Name Position

28 Joe Girardi Manager

54 Kevin Long Batting Coach

58 Larry Rothschild Pitching Coach

50 Mick Kelleher First Base Coach

59 Rob Thomson Third Base Coach

56 Tony Pena Bench Coach

57 Mike Harkey Bullpen Coach

88 Roman Rodriguez Bullpen Catcher

Detroit Tigers

Manager & Coaches

# Name Position

10 Jim Leyland Manager

8 Lloyd McClendon Batting Coach

51 Jeff Jones Pitching Coach

61 Tom Brookens First Base Coach

22 Gene Lamont Third Base Coach

59 Mike Rojas Bullpen Coach

99 Scott Pickens Bullpen Catcher

17 Rafael Belliard Coach

AZ Diamonbacks

Manager & Coaches

# Name Position

23 Kirk Gibson Manager

25 Don Baylor Batting Coach

50 Charles Nagy Pitching Coach

7 Eric Young First Base Coach

9 Matt Williams Third Base Coach

3 Alan Trammell Bench Coach

53 Glenn Sherlock Bullpen Coach

80 Wilson Valera Major League Coach

82 Jeff Motuzas Bullpen Catcher

Jerry Krause Special assistant :)

Brewers

Manager & Coaches

# Name Position

10 Ron Roenicke Manager

29 Dale Sveum Batting Coach

39 Rick Kranitz Pitching Coach

35 Garth Iorg First Base Coach

6 Ed Sedar Third Base Coach

36 Jerry Narron Bench Coach

53 Stan Kyles Bullpen Coach

55 Marcus Hanel Bullpen Catcher

31 John Shelby Coach

Phillies

Manager & Coaches

# Name Position

41 Charlie Manuel Manager

18 Greg Gross Batting Coach

30 Rich Dubee Pitching Coach

2 Sam Perlozzo First Base Coach

12 Juan Samuel Third Base Coach

22 Pete Mackanin Bench Coach

17 Mick Billmeyer Bullpen Coach

81 Jesus Tiamo Bullpen Catcher

Get ready for the svelt Gene Lamont to be the bench coach, fellas.

I could get with Pena or Lamont as a bench coach. Those guys have years of managerial experience.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 06:03 PM)
Why does everyone think Ventura is going to be a yes man?

To the best of my knowledge the guy has refused every coaching job hes been offered, wouldtn that suggest hed only take the job if he was allowed to do what he wants?

Yeah I don't think Robin will be a pushover. He might not scream and rant in public, but that doesn't mean he will stand quietly into the night. I know for a fact he was a presence in the locker room during his playing days, despite his on the field demeanor.

QUOTE (SouthSideTeacher @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 06:07 PM)
AGREED. Initially, I thought the hire was a decent move. After the first 2 minutes of Robin's portion of the call I thought "Oh... wait a sec...."

A good manager isn't worried about the impression you have of him.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 06:16 PM)
So would the Sox need permission to speak to a special assignment scout? I assume so since he's likely under some sort of contract. Jim Riggleman was Jim Tracy's bench coach in 2003 and 2004 when Robin played for the Dodgers. He would be my guess.

I'd be OK with that too. At least having an ex-manager on the bench would balance things out a bit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 07:58 AM)
I could get with Pena or Lamont as a bench coach. Those guys have years of managerial experience.

Lamont makes perfect sense, because he's a former manager with ties to the Sox & Robin. Plus he's currently not a bench coach, which means his current team is much more likely to grant permission.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:28 PM)
According to his Wikipedia page, Nossek was a member of the White Sox organization until 2003. And if I recall correctly, he left during the season. He wasn't on the bench for Guillen.

He was for a short period of time.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:42 PM)
The way to look at this is ....

1) KW has zero control over who the manager is...

OR

2) KW is risking his GM career with this move because of the obvious risks of hiring a manager (someone who it will be incredibly embarassing to fire, especially after the way he left the organization the first time)...

OR

3) KW already knows he's going to the executive upstairs position in 2013 or 2014.

4) They know the team is going to suck for a few years, so why pay a good manager a lot of money to come in here.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:58 PM)
And before anyone says anything, we DO NOT want The Big Hurt as our hitting coach. Trust me.

Please no. Remember this was a guy who was himself completely uncoachable. He had to have his own hitting coach flown in for him personally.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:16 PM)
Question #2, which direction will Cowley take off in with Ventura?

Or will he just mysteriously slink out of town like Mariotti...

He will kill Robin. It doesn't matter who replaced Ozzie, he is going to be a complete ass to him. It is all he has left.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:40 PM)
Cowley saying that Cooper is a problem. He says Cooper being around is why any big name would say no to the Sox. What happened to Daryl Boston, or the Sun Times breaking the story of Dave Martinez, who didn't even interview? Of course, Oney re tweeted it. I read either Laker or Manto as the hitting coach and they are seeking permission from another team to bring in a bench coach. Supposedly the entire staff should be in place Tuesday.

He is full of s***. Cooper was trying to get Francona hired, so there goes that theory.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:00 PM)
You are right Dick.

The reality is Ventura has been on Chairman Reinsdorf's managerial short list since the day he retired. He knows exactly what he has in Ventura.

I don't doubt this at all. They have been trying to get him back into the organization for a decade now.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:04 PM)
Or pull a pitcher without one having warmed up.

Ventura was actually the person who gave Bevington the solution to that one. They brought in a cold pitcher to intentionally walk a guy thus not stressing his arm, while they had another warm up in the pen.

Heh. I didn't know that. Interesting.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:06 PM)
Layoff the booze.

Players could give a s*** about earning your stripes as a manager. What they most often care about is whether or not you played the game.

I am sure that players respect ex-player more than non-players. Hell just about any job I have ever dealt with that is the truth. If you bring in outside management, people resent them because they have no idea about the situation the regular employees are in.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:11 PM)
Ventura said they brought this up to him last week. I wonder if Cowley will call him a liar. Funny Joe wrote months ago Daryl Boston would be the replacement, then a couple days ago said it would be Dave Martinez, now he says its been Ventura for months and he'll have a timeline. He's a joke.

Exactly. And if he knew it, he would have published it to try to either save Ozzie, or screw Kenny over.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 02:46 AM)
I just read all the Trib articles and Lamont's quotes and this is a scary hire.

Yes I believe Cowley. If he's wrong, he's putting his job on the line. What Cooper did is really sleazy.

Nobody likes a backstabber. It's WRONG. If this was the 1950s, Ozzie would beat his ass.

But nowadays he'll spend time in prison for smashing Coop a good one in the nose.

(I'm assuming the article is true; if not, my bad).

He didn't put his job on the line. The Sun Times is a tabloid. They love this kind of s***.