Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Dave Martinez, Terry Francona, Ryne Sandberg, Sandy Alomar, Bobby Valentine, Bob Brenly, and Tony LaRussa were some how all wiped out of existence I would STILL be mad about this choice.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:12 PM)
Are you f***ing KIDDING ME?!?! Did Dave Martinez punch Kenny in the face during the interview? Did he even GET an interview????

I was so excited once Ozzie was gone... now I'm FURIOUS!

I don't think so. An article today mentioned something about Martinez being surprised that he was high on their list and that an interview hadn't happened yet.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:23 PM)
And who the f*** are you to say that? How the f*** do you know already how this is going to turn out?

the guy was f***ing retired enjoying life, and now he's qualified to be a manager? again, cut the BULLs***

What I want to know, in this time of modern technology, "sources" everywhere with access to anything... HOW DID EVERYONE MISS THIS?!?!

EVERYONE, EVERYONE!!!! had Martinez as the top Candidate. Ventura was never even mentioned once.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:12 PM)
I won't. This has failure written all over it.

Exactly. Why do they deserve the benefit of the doubt? They've made nothing but incorrect moves for years now, and we're supposed to just give them the benefit because they hired a guy with no experience whatsoever when there were about 5 guys with experience and/or credentials available?

I don't understand how some of you don't understand why many of us are angry. There are quite a few excellent choices for a replacement so they decided to interview none of them and stick with a complete question mark? Idiocy.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:21 PM)
And I really couldn't care less about any of that. If he can manage then he can manage, I don't know if he can but I'm going to wait before I get pissed off about it. Robin is clearly an intelligent baseball person but that doesn't mean he's going to be a good manager but it certainly doesn't mean he's going to be a bad one either. I do agree that this is a very White Soxish(ya I'm making s*** up) hire but there's no reason to completely overreact about it at this point.

Great post...I'm not too upset. It's not like Martinez is a sure-thing anyways. I do have to laugh when Dwyane Wade said last offseason that JR is not loyal.

QUOTE (Real @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
his qualifications? you know his f***ing qualifications, don't sugar coat what you "know" to make the move seem less volatile, it's a s***ty move, let's be f***ing honest here and cut the bulls***

Experience isn't the most important thing to manage baseball. At least not manager experience. It isn't like NFL or the NBA where you are writing plays and doing tons of stuff. An MLB manager's biggest job is just managing the personalities and the clubhouse. Whether Robin will be good at that, hell if I know. Sure, there are other components to managing (scouting reports to read, etc) but a big part of it are skills that Ventura could have (I don't know whether he does or doesn't).

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:13 PM)
Steve,

NBA and MLB are apples and oranges. Im pretty sure that Robin can read stat sheets and make better decisions than Ozzie.

I kinda typed that exact statement in the post you are replying to... had you used the QUOTE feature it'd be easy for people to read that.

Robin was my guy. I was crushed when he turned his ankle backwards. I like him.

I just wanted someone with experience and to feel like the team was headed in the right direction.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:13 PM)
Steve,

NBA and MLB are apples and oranges. Im pretty sure that Robin can read stat sheets and make better decisions than Ozzie.

Im pretty sure that in a year or 2 people are going to wonder why they ever questioned Robin. The guy is legit, he just never wanted to be a coach before, otherwise hed have a ton of useless experience.

I'm glad you can question the uproar when there's exactly as much evidence to support it as your bold statement.