Steve9347

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.

My first impression = shock.

My second... I love this move.

Ventura will be a player's manager who isn't going to make himself a distraction. He'll take pressure off the team when he needs to and will almost certainly rely on Coop for pitching decisions and probably a veteran ex-manager as a bench coach when it comes to in-game decisions.

Look, the main problem here with Ozzie hasn't been his in-game decisions (which were at times pretty poor decisions) it has been his attitude, ego, and his total absolute fail when it comes to getting the players to play for him. If Ventura brings the right attitude, checks his ego at the door, and gets his players to take the field then he's exactly what we need.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:29 PM)
Steve Stone: "Very nice guy and good third baseman. Had wonderful career."

LOL

This says it all. He might as well have stated that Robin has a nice family and isn't a bad golfer.

QUOTE (Real @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
if you're a fan of this, you don't know s***, and i'm being as honest as i can be.

How about go f*** yourself and read some more posts of mine. I already stated this reeks of Vinny del Negro. Go watch replays of the Heat.

Yow. I was as surprised as anybody and disappointed that one of the commonly mentioned choices wasn't choses. Came to read other thoughts and am overwhelmed by the anger. Come on! It is not worth this level of angst. There's no question he does know the game. It's reasonable to be skeptical and to wonder what happened to the other candidates, but this is a board for White Sox fans. The hatred and assumption that he'll fail is neither warranted nor useful.

Do you people ever not act like a bunch of children?

Robin hasn't left the game, he's been doing various announcing jobs all over the place, most prominently at the CWS.

He's very intelligent, very personable, and was a great ball player.

Calm the f*** down.

White Sox Baseball: Remember the 90's? Cause that's all we're hiring....

When I go to a concert, I love hearing the greatest hits. When I watch White Sox baseball, I want a manager with experience in modern coaching with statistical analysis and not managing my one's gut...

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 10:30 PM)
The more I think about this, the more I like it.

Me too...as I just told a friend, this isn't like college athletics where you have to bring in a head coach that you know can recruit as well as manage a game. Ventura will get his chance, and if he tanks, he won't be here very long.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:26 PM)
What I want to know, in this time of modern technology, "sources" everywhere with access to anything... HOW DID EVERYONE MISS THIS?!?!

EVERYONE, EVERYONE!!!! had Martinez as the top Candidate. Ventura was never even mentioned once.

That's Kenny's MO. Rarely do we hear what's happening, and rarely are rumors true.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:29 PM)
Steve Stone: "Very nice guy and good third baseman. Had wonderful career."

and stoney followed that up with "And that's about all I can say." haha, nice praises.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
LOL

This says it all. He might as well have stated that Robin has a nice family and isn't a bad golfer.

you forgot that he's a Cancer by sign, loves the outdoors and likes to travel.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:20 PM)
Well Robin as a player was the antithesis of Ozzie, so unless he drastically changes who he is, you have to expect he will coach the same way as he plays.

In fact, how do you know how Dave Martinez would coach, hes never managed before.

Of all sports, baseball is the one where the manager needs the least amount of experience. Its such a simple sport to manage.

Again, the only thing you know is that he's quiet. You can't say he's the antithesis based solely on that.