Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
I will say this...well nevermind i have nothing to compare it too, but the baseball execs and former players all seem to like it. But maybe he's just a nice guy?

He was a very smart player who was well liked. I'm willing to give him a chance.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Milkman,

How do I know hes legit?

Id say its because Ive read and watched a few things about Robin Ventura in my day.

(edit)

Really, because I havent met/watched/seen Ozzie versus Robin?

A lot of you guys are going to look silly for yelling about Robin without even letting him manage a game.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)
How about go f*** yourself and read some more posts of mine. I already stated this reeks of Vinny del Negro. Go watch replays of the Heat.

Terrible comparison.

Vinny was a placeholder who Pax, Gar, Reinsdorf, etc. didn't know nearly as well as the Sox know Robin. VDN was a shot in the dark, Robin is not.

Whoa. Last year I was saying he'd probably start a coaching career on the South Side at some point, he said he wanted to do that after his kids finished high school. But I was NOT expecting he'd vault straight to manager.

The good... he's considered by a lot of people to be very baseball-smart, has leadership qualities, and played the game right. And he knows how the organization works, which is a benefit here.

The bad... zero managing experience, as far as I know. That's a little scary.

But... Ozzie hadn't managed either, he was a damn base coach before he started. Some folks mentioned handling pitchers... Ozzie didn't know a damn thing about that either, but he ended up being reasonably good at it his first few years, because he leaned heavily on Cooper for input. Ventura is likely to do the same.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
Frank Thomas - hitting coach. Great move! This made my day.

This is just your guess, right? Has it been reported somewhere?

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
Me too...as I just told a friend, this isn't like college athletics where you have to bring in a head coach that you know can recruit as well as manage a game. Ventura will get his chance, and if he tanks, he won't be here very long.

I hope the Sox hire an experienced bench coach. However, I guess Cooper brings some solid experience as well. Or is Harold the bench coach now?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:35 PM)
Answer this seriously...

Who would you rather have been named today? Steve Stone or Robin?

I'd say Stoney.

I think Stoney knows he'll be broadcasting a bad team for a few years.

Ventura over Stone, no question about it. Stone is more of a GM type anyways

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
Yes, I've heard that joke before. When enough people get fed up with an organization, like they did in 2011, they feel it.

Geez...give the man a chance. Bet the Cubs wished they had kept Girardi around. Not saying Robin will be that guy but I will root for his success.

I like it. If it was football I might not, but MLB managers just don't have as much of an effect on the game as football and basketball coaches. It might not work out, but Dave Martinez might not either.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)
Whoa. Last year I was saying he'd probably start a coaching career on the South Side at some point, he said he wanted to do that after his kids finished high school. But I was NOT expecting he'd vault straight to manager.

The good... he's considered by a lot of people to be very baseball-smart, has leadership qualities, and played the game right. And he knows how the organization works, which is a benefit here.

The bad... zero managing experience, as far as I know. That's a little scary.

But... Ozzie hadn't managed either, he was a damn base coach before he started. Some folks mentioned handling pitchers... Ozzie didn't know a damn thing about that either, but he ended up being reasonably good at it his first few years, because he leaned heavily on Cooper for input. Ventura is likely to do the same.

This is just your guess, right? Has it been reported somewhere?

I bet Ventura is even more willing to listen to Coop than Ozzie. I'm just guessing, but he seems more open.

Honestly, I think that the Sox players were sick of Ozzie and his circus, his family and the whole Ozzie-Kenny thing. Especially, veterans like Konerko.

I think a lot of the players will relax now and playe better like Beckham. Ventura and Frank have opposite styles than Ozzie and that's what this team needs now after the Guillen family circus.

Still, the talent is what wins and no manger or coach is going to make Jake Peavy healthy or make Adam Dunn decide to have a work ethic.

But, all in all, these are great moves and should pay dividends down the road as the Sox transition into a younger team.

You know what this reminds me of? Alan Trammel and Kirk Gibson getting hired becuause they used to be Tigers in 2003. How'd that work out?

Edited by Cali

Also gotta love the typical hyper reactions on the board. No one knows if he will be a good manager, which by the way isn't much different than if it had been Alomar, for example. Francona and LaRussa were the only candidates talked about who actually managed in the majors, and I suspect they were never really on the table anyway.

I'm happy to give Robin a season to see what he brings. Writing off 2012 because of this is just hilariously overreacting.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 10:36 PM)
You know what this reminds me of? Alan Trammel and Bob Gibson getting hired becuause they used to be Tigers in 2003. How'd that work out?

Those teams were just atrocious, talent-wise though. Absolutely awful.