2011 ALCS: Detroit Tigers vs. Texas Rangers Thread

Milkman delivers

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 15, 2011 -> 10:08 PM)
I always get into an argument with people about McCarver. I don't get the ire...I think he is a bit hokey, but for the vast majority of the viewing audience, I think he makes excellent points.

I've listened to just about everyone else they've had doing these games, and with the exception of maybe Brenly, I find McCarver to be infinitely more listenable.

I'd rather have Edwin jackson in the booth :).

Seriously, i find it so much easier to follow the game with other color men. When Francona was in there you got legit strategy, discussions of the managers and players thoughts...the stuff I like best about Stoney. McCarver in the booth is like Hawk except without te clear bias and rooting interest on my side. And no good catch phrases. And a nasty habit of being proven instantly wrong (see October 23, 2005).

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 15, 2011 -> 08:23 PM)
I'd rather have Edwin jackson in the booth :).

Seriously, i find it so much easier to follow the game with other color men. When Francona was in there you got legit strategy, discussions of the managers and players thoughts...the stuff I like best about Stoney. McCarver in the booth is like Hawk except without te clear bias and rooting interest on my side. And no good catch phrases. And a nasty habit of being proven instantly wrong (see October 23, 2005).

Well, there you have it. I thought Francona added very little, including analysis just as obvious as McCarver...honestly, when managers and coaches come on and do these things it really disappoints me because I envision them having a lot more interesting knowledge, and then it turns out they seem to know pretty much the same as you or I...

I like when they what the origin of the word "cheese" was, when used in the context of someone's fastball. First, Francona says he thinks he knows who coined the term, and cites Dennis Eckersley. Then, when Joe Buck tells him it was first used in the mid-19th century, Francona says "oh, I guess I was only 40 years off." :)

The best part of his two nights was when Joe asked him if it was harder than he thought. Francona responded by saying "I really want to chew, and I really want to curse at will. "

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 15, 2011 -> 10:31 PM)
Well, there you have it. I thought Francona added very little, including analysis just as obvious as McCarver...honestly, when managers and coaches come on and do these things it really disappoints me because I envision them having a lot more interesting knowledge, and then it turns out they seem to know pretty much the same as you or I...

I like when they what the origin of the word "cheese" was, when used in the context of someone's fastball. First, Francona says he thinks he knows who coined the term, and cites Dennis Eckersley. Then, when Joe Buck tells him it was first used in the mid-19th century, Francona says "oh, I guess I was only 40 years off." :)

The best part of his two nights was when Joe asked him if it was harder than he thought. Francona responded by saying "I really want to chew, and I really want to curse at will. "

See, that whole middle paragraph...that's so like Hawk except he's not rooting for my team and has no catch phrases or quirks.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 15, 2011 -> 09:13 PM)
The level of obviousness to his analysis is absurd, he makes absurd points and says absurd lines at all times, and I honestly don't like the sound of his voice. He seems to interject at weird times too.

(read with appropriate twang)

"When a runner slides in safely, it's because the umpire has ruled him safe."

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 16, 2011 -> 03:02 PM)
What's Texas' secret?

The amazing hitting coupled with nice bullpen?

What has made them the blueprint for a WS team? No coincidence 2 years in row.

Finding a couple key, undervalued players through a variety of means. Hamilton from Cinci, Ogando out of a whole human trafficking case mess, Nelson Cruz from the Brewers as a throw-in along with Carlos Lee (He literally cleared waivers a couple years ago after running out of options, Colby Lewis a 1999 Rangers draft pick who departed for Japan for 2 years, Napoli an absolute gift from Toronto, a couple guys who were drafted in the early 2000's who had to endure the Tommy John procedure, and then the big haul from the Braves (Andrus, Feliz, Harrison) in the Teixeira trade.

You look at this team, there are very few key parts that are guys they drafted and developed in a short time solely through their system in the past couple years.