2011 ALCS: Detroit Tigers vs. Texas Rangers Thread

Milkman delivers

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)
Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Jim Leyland just announced that Valverde and Benoit will not pitch today.

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Leyland hopes to get through today with Verlander and Coke.

Leyland now looks like he is playing for the long term future of the organization.

His stance should have been we will see what happens during warm-ups. Benoit and Velverde are having career years pitch them for all they have got left.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 06:45 PM)
Fans should be cheering a good-bye, cuz they ain't gonna see another Tiger game in Detoilet until next spring.

You might be right but Scherzer and Fister have been pitching well as of late.

Both of these teams can go f*** themselves for all I care but I'm rooting for the Tigers to go get pummeled in the WS.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

This media slurping of Verlander's game last night is making me sick. The guy gave up four runs. His postseason ERA is 5.33. I don't care how many pitches he threw, if C.J. Wilson didn't suck it up, the Tigers season would be over. It was a gutsy start by him which their bullpen needed, but it still wasn't some all-time epic performance. A Cy Young winner should do much better with his team's season on the line.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 08:15 AM)
This media slurping of Verlander's game last night is making me sick. The guy gave up four runs. His postseason ERA is 5.33. I don't care how many pitches he threw, if C.J. Wilson didn't suck it up, the Tigers season would be over. It was a gutsy start by him which their bullpen needed, but it still wasn't some all-time epic performance. A Cy Young winner should do much better with his team's season on the line.

A Cy Young winner should also start 3 times in a 7 game series, but that aint happening because of Verlander's precious "routine". I can not believe there's not more criticism of that written this post season.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 12:20 PM)
A Cy Young winner should also start 3 times in a 7 game series, but that aint happening because of Verlander's precious "routine". I can not believe there's not more criticism of that written this post season.

He's been mediocre this postseason, but let's not criticize Leyland for only using him twice in a 7-game series. Statistically, pitchers are better on four days rest. It takes a team to win these series. I think the teams that panic and go to short rest with pitchers that aren't used to it, are hurting their teams more than helping them.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
He's been mediocre this postseason, but let's not criticize Leyland for only using him twice in a 7-game series. Statistically, pitchers are better on four days rest. It takes a team to win these series. I think the teams that panic and go to short rest with pitchers that aren't used to it, are hurting their teams more than helping them.

True, but there are a few teams that won it all because they forced their pitchers to go on short rest. 09 Yankees, 03 Marlins.

Isn't it just assumed that your ace should go 1-4-7* in any 7 game series to give you the best chance to win?

All the pundits out there were saying it'd be tough to beat the Tigers with Verlander starting 3 games in a 7 game series etc.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
Isn't it just assumed that your ace should go 1-4-7* in any 7 game series to give you the best chance to win?

All the pundits out there were saying it'd be tough to beat the Tigers with Verlander starting 3 games in a 7 game series etc.

That's not always the best way to go especially when your pitcher has never done it before. It's really nothing to blame Leyland or Verlander for.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 04:09 PM)
That's not always the best way to go especially when your pitcher has never done it before. It's really nothing to blame Leyland or Verlander for.

I'm just grasping at straws cause I hate the Tigers mostly haha

Only way this helps the White Sox next year is that the Tiggs continue to tire themselves out. lol! Maybe a couple of extra innings games would be nice. With Texas winning Game 7.

Cannot believe that Valverde doesn't have a blown save this year. Unlikely he can do that again next year.lol I hope !

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 15, 2011 -> 09:05 PM)
If there is one person I want to punch in the face solely because of their commenting on a game, it's Tim McCarver. Everything he says is awful. Simply awful.

I always get into an argument with people about McCarver. I don't get the ire...I think he is a bit hokey, but for the vast majority of the viewing audience, I think he makes excellent points.

I've listened to just about everyone else they've had doing these games, and with the exception of maybe Brenly, I find McCarver to be infinitely more listenable.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 15, 2011 -> 09:08 PM)
I always get into an argument with people about McCarver. I don't get the ire...I think he is a bit hokey, but for the vast majority of the viewing audience, I think he makes excellent points.

I've listened to just about everyone else they've had doing these games, and with the exception of maybe Brenly, I find McCarver to be infinitely more listenable.

The level of obviousness to his analysis is absurd, he makes absurd points and says absurd lines at all times, and I honestly don't like the sound of his voice. He seems to interject at weird times too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 15, 2011 -> 09:13 PM)
The level of obviousness to his analysis is absurd, he makes absurd points and says absurd lines at all times, and I honestly don't like the sound of his voice. He seems to interject at weird times too.

I like his voice and his little bit of southern charm...I dunno, I guess maybe he reminds me of watching a game with an old-timer or something.

You have to remember though, what most of the viewing audience needs is the obvious. There is a reason Fox brings him back again and again and again.

Guys that drive me crazy are the former coaches they bring in, like for instance, when Tito was filling in for McCarver because McCarver was having a medical procedure. Francona said the equivalent, or some close derivative of "this guy is one of the best in the game at _____," over and over until his opinion means nothing because he applies precisely the same sentiments to so many different players. Then whenever the umpire would call a pitch a strike that the pitch tracker thingy said was a ball, Francona would interject "I know the Foxtracker didn't like that pitch, but that was a good pitch, right around the plate." Well no s***, Tito, we all have eyes. The point is that while it was close, it was not a strike, it was a close pitch that should have been called a ball.

I guess it's to each their own though. There have certainly been many on this forum alone that have panned McCarver as Captain Obvious.

Edited by iamshack

Oh, and Elvis Andrus, why are you bunting for hits when up by 5 and trying to steal bases when up by 6? I don't care that it's the playoffs, that's still pretty bush, especially the stealing, and it's stupid too because all you are going to do is cost your team outs, which is what he did.