2012 AL Central Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)
SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman

derek lowe was traded to the indians

5 minutes ago

If the Braves didn't toss in at least half of the $15 million owed Lowe next year then this was a severe butt-f***ing.

Nevermind.

Edited by Jordan4life

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Atlanta is absorbing all but $5 million of the money owed to Derek Lowe in this; second-line player return going from CLE to ATL.

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman

braves getting minor-league pitcher (but mostly getting some financial relief) in lowe deal

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/10/31/2527532...oney-twins-reds

Oct 31, 2011 - The Cincinnati Reds haven't said anything, officially.

The Minnesota Twins haven't said anything, officially.

But who needs officially when we've got Twitter?

@mo56maloney

Matt Maloney thanks for everything reds.....but i am now a Minnesota Twin!!! looking forward to a great new opportunity!!

Oct 31 via webFavoriteRetweetReply

I guess he'll be changing that background pretty soon, huh?

This isn't exactly a high-profile move, but Matt Maloney might wind up playing a key role for the Twins.

Maloney turns 28 this winter and has the grand total of 80 innings in the major leagues. But he might well have gotten more chances to pitch in another organization. He's been stuck for the last few years in an organization blessed with a surfeit of young(er) starting pitchers and little need for a reliever who rarely hits with his fastball.

In 516 triple-A innings, Maloney's got a 3.57 and (more impressively) four times more strikeouts than walks. There's a fine chance that he's simply a 4-A pitcher ... but there's also a small chance that he's the next Rick Reed, and the Twins have a fondness for pitchers with good control.

He might never start a game for Minnesota. But everybody can use a little rotation depth, and Maloney gives them a little.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/twin..._medium=twitter

Twins Claim Jeff Gray

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [October 31, 2011 at 3:52pm CST]

The Twins announced that they claimed right-hander Jeff Gray off of waivers from the Mariners. They also confirmed that they claimed left-hander Matt Maloney off of waivers from the Reds.

jonmorosi Jon Morosi

Rival exec: “I’m not sure any team lost as much talent to free agency as the #Twins.”

jonmorosi Jon Morosi

... And I agree. At present, their outfield is Benson, Span, and Revere. They don’t have a DH, closer, or RH setup man. Suspect rotation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 04:48 PM)
jonmorosi Jon Morosi

Rival exec: “I’m not sure any team lost as much talent to free agency as the #Twins.”

jonmorosi Jon Morosi

... And I agree. At present, their outfield is Benson, Span, and Revere. They don’t have a DH, closer, or RH setup man. Suspect rotation.

Which of course means...miracles will happen next year.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)
If Mauer and Moreanu are MVP candidates and and some pitcher pulls a Cy Young type season out of their ass

And a few of their kids will somehow stun.

That's just how it works for that franchise.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)
Which of course means...miracles will happen next year.

For the first time that I can remember in a long time, the Twins were bad last year. Even past the injuries, the guys they brought up were awful. They didn't even play decent fundamental ball.

jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick

#Tigers could also trade for leadoff man, but their prospect stockpile was thinned out by the Doug Fister trade in July.

Jose Reyes is the dream candidate. Other potential lower-cost free agent targets include David DeJesus and Kelly Johnson. #Tigers

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 4, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick

#Tigers could also trade for leadoff man, but their prospect stockpile was thinned out by the Doug Fister trade in July.

Jose Reyes is the dream candidate. Other potential lower-cost free agent targets include David DeJesus and Kelly Johnson. #Tigers

With the money they have coming off the books, there's every reason to expect they'll make a run at Reyes. Only question is whether someone else outbids them if the Tigers get nervous about his health.