2011 World Series Thread

Milkman delivers

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 04:24 PM)
Thanks, fathom for the answer. Reasonable discussion.

I just think it may be hard to bunt a ball thrown that hard. Even if he bunts it, it coulda been right to the pitcher.

Kylie IMO you should know better as a mod than to start your post by blasting me like that. How does that add to discussion on a website by blasting me? Then I respond and it's a war that you started, not me. Your first paragraph is an invitation to a fight. Sad.

I am assuming u are referring to my polling my friends in KC a few times about WhiteSox matters. If not, my bad.

For what it's worth, perhaps LaRussa never would refer to him as his "closer" for that reason. That he knew there might come a time the former catcher might not have it and he might have to yank him. I am not a LaRussa hater. I think he's good baseball mind.

To say the very least. Tony La Russa is one of the greatest baseball minds and managers in the history of the game.

If, as you say, Ozzie is a sure-fire Hall of Famer, they should create a Tony La Russa Hall of Fame specificially for himself made entirely of gold and diamonds.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 09:53 PM)
invitation to a fight? a war? with you? lmao greg, please. listen, i know my job as an admin here(not a mod), and it is to try and make sure that conversation goes as smoothly as possible, argument or not. if you think that all of us dont see what you are doing and trolling threads like this and constantly questioning other managers decisions in an attempt to somehow justify Ozzies numerous bad decisions, you are wrong.

its amazing thatyou can generate so many reactions to that statement and you pick mine as the fighting words. lol

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 11:39 PM)
To say the very least. Tony La Russa is one of the greatest baseball minds and managers in the history of the game.

If, as you say, Ozzie is a sure-fire Hall of Famer, they should create a Tony La Russa Hall of Fame specificially for himself made entirely of gold and diamonds.

1.) I don't troll threads. I read them and comment like everybody else. I still can't believe after 10 years on here u say I am a troll. I'm a fan. Probably my lowest moment ever was when Jerry Dybber made that horrific blunder on the basepaths costing LaMarr Hoyt a chance to pitch Game Five and win game five. Sad, sad day. Would a troller remember that moment as such a downer??

2.) Tony's great, but even the great ones can be second guessed. You must admit his decisions in Game Two look bad right now?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 09:54 PM)
1.) I don't troll threads. I read them and comment like everybody else. I still can't believe after 10 years on here u say I am a troll. I'm a fan. Probably my lowest moment ever was when Jerry Dybber made that horrific blunder on the basepaths costing LaMarr Hoyt a chance to pitch Game Five and win game five. Sad, sad day. Would a troller remember that moment as such a downer??

2.) Tony's great, but even the great ones can be second guessed. You must admit his decisions in Game Two look bad right now?

What a "troller" remembers of any team is pretty irrelevant.

Greg, you ruin every thread for me that you post in.

I don't get involved in the discussions you participate in the majority of the time because they become so incredibly ridiculous and inane that I can't tolerate the level of stupidity for more than a few seconds at a time.

Sometimes I even play a game where I try to find a reason to support your argument, just for the challenge of debating a position that is virtually impossible to defend, but I ultimately give up every time because I then realize I will never get those precious moments of my life back.

I even debated whether it was worth it to waste the time it has taken me to type this post, but every time someone writes a post like this to you I have a slight glimmer of hope that it will knock some sense into you.

I guess this is my attempt.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 06:48 PM)
I'd like to know this as well because I always thought fastballs were the easiest to bunt.

As I recall from my limited playing time and just listening to old timey players talk about it, fastballs are actually the hardest pitch to bunt. They're coming in extremely fast and because they don't have downward movement and instead stay generally flat, the tendency to pop them up increases extraordinarily, especially when they are above the belt. On top of that, major leaguers are great at locating pitches so they can put them generally wherever they want and you will see players jabbing at it, which also makes it difficult as well.

It's not always an easy task which is why even a fundamentally sound player like Punto can f it up pretty easily like that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
As I recall from my limited playing time and just listening to old timey players talk about it, fastballs are actually the hardest pitch to bunt. They're coming in extremely fast and because they don't have downward movement and instead stay generally flat, the tendency to pop them up increases extraordinarily, especially when they are above the belt. On top of that, major leaguers are great at locating pitches so they can put them generally wherever they want and you will see players jabbing at it, which also makes it difficult as well.

It's not always an easy task which is why even a fundamentally sound player like Punto can f it up pretty easily like that.

That seems a bit counterintuitive to me.

Every pitch a mlb pitcher throws is extremely fast. It seems as though one thrown generally straight would allow one to position his bat to hit the top half of the ball a bit better than it would be to hit a ball that is sinking or swerving at a much greater rate, despite it's relatively decreased velocity.

I think more of what we're witnessing is a lack of fundamentals brought on by the $ that can be potentially earned by doing the much more sexier things, like hitting home runs and driving in runs. The fundamentals simply aren't instilled the way that they used to be back before the salaries went through the roof, and that includes baserunning, bunting, advancing runners, etc. Combine that with the position taken by followers of advanced metrics who have very outspokenly argued against the bunt in all but the most limited of situations, and you have far less organizations emphasizing the bunt and far less players learning how to effectively do it.

All that being said, I am sure it is hard as s*** to bunt a 98 mph fastball in 40 degree weather in a huge situation in the WS.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)
It seems like the location of the pitch is more of a factor than the speed.

Well, when you're bunting in that situation you're simply trying to advance the runner from 1st to 2nd. You've got to know that a walk accomplishes the same thing. So even if you're going to bunt, you've got to make him throw strikes, which are generally in an area which makes the pitch easier to bunt.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
I think it was kind of funny that Punto blew that bunt when Buck spent the entire at bat admiring Punto for learning the fundamentals under Gardenhire.

To be fair though, despite not getting that bunt down, Punto has played well in the first two games.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)
Well, when you're bunting in that situation you're simply trying to advance the runner from 1st to 2nd. You've got to know that a walk accomplishes the same thing. So even if you're going to bunt, you've got to make him throw strikes, which are generally in an area which makes the pitch easier to bunt.

I remember he popped one up foul, don't know if it would have been called a strike or not.

The bunt call by LaRussa was definitly the right call but you can tell the whole AB Punto was uncomfortable against Nefti or however you spell his name, horrible hack he took at that last pitch.

As much as I disliked Punto when he was with the Twins, I've always liked his fundamentals.Unspectacular but an effective player that does the little things.

I wouldn't mind a guy like that on the White Sox roster...

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
To be fair though, despite not getting that bunt down, Punto has played well in the first two games.

agreed, i totally expected theriot or schumaker to get the PT at second base and Punto has made them into subs

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 04:18 PM)
What a "troller" remembers of any team is pretty irrelevant.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
The bunt call by LaRussa was definitly the right call but you can tell the whole AB Punto was uncomfortable against Nefti or however you spell his name, horrible hack he took at that last pitch.

As much as I disliked Punto when he was with the Twins, I've always liked his fundamentals.Unspectacular but an effective player that does the little things.

I wouldn't mind a guy like that on the White Sox roster...

1.) I love the White Sox and don't troll.

2.) Good post.

3.) I love the White Sox.

4.) Wow did Craig hit that ball. 1-0 Cards.