2011 World Series Thread

Milkman delivers

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
So, I'm betting Carp starts if there's a game 7, whaddya think?

You have to think so. Washington has said Holland won't pitch, but how can you do that considering it's on normal rest and he's coming off a gem.

My problem with Holland is that he's acted like a fool since Sunday doing every interview, doing hack comedy acts, etc.

Maybe he's mentally cashed out of this now, and that's why Wash doesn't want to change the plan. Just a thought.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
I'm betting that this move was also about getting a game on Friday (possibly). I'm sure it wasn't the entire basis, but when someone said there is a good chance for rain on Wednesday, I think they jumped at the opportunity to move it back.

Friday's generally aren't good ratings nights. I think it's all about starting the games on time, and not having delays that turn the competition into a joke.

And why would they want a trophy ceremony at 2am? That's just not good for the game.

They made the right call.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
Friday's generally aren't good ratings nights. I think it's all about starting the games on time, and not having delays that turn the competition into a joke.

And why would they want a trophy ceremony at 2am? That's just not good for the game.

They made the right call.

I agree that they made the right call, but I'm saying that possibly having a game on Friday came into play. Yes, Fridays might not be the best for ratings, but for a Game 7 of the World Series, I would have to believe that more people would have the ability to and would tune in.

The think that the rainout helps the Cards more than the Rangers. Rangers had the momentum and were looking to clinch it as soon as possible. Waiting just makes it worse for a team that wants to finish off the series. And this allows the Cardinals to turn to Carpenter if the series goes to 7.

Edwin Jackson could be used a reliever for either game 6 or game 7. I believe that he relieved some games with TB before coming a starter. Thus it wouldn't be new territory for him.

Ranger could start Holland in a game 7 and use Harrison now as reliever in game 6 or possibly game 7.

I don't know. Slight edge to Cardinals more so if series goes.7..but Rangers can make this point moot with a win in Game 6.

Texas manager Ron Washington maintained Wednesday that lefty Matt Harrison will follow Game 6 starter Colby Lewis if a decisive Game 7 is necessary on Friday night.

"Harrison has been a big part of this team all year," Washington said. "I am not changing the things that I've been doing all year. That's why we are where we are and that's why I'm saying Harrison."

Game 6 was postponed Wednesday because of an accurate wet forecast, making Derek Holland potentially available on regular rest in Game 7. The Game 4 star, however, agreed with his manager's decision.

"There's no need to change anything," said Holland, who will be available in the bullpen if needed. "Harrison's been pitching good for us all year, so why change anything now?"

The Cardinals will throw Jaime Garcia against Lewis on Thursday, but as for Game 7, St. Louis manager Tony La Russa was noncommittal. La Russa playfully mentioned the great Bob Gibson, but ace Chris Carpenter on three days' rest looms as a possibility.

"It's already been asked about Carp," La Russa said Wednesday. "I was told by Carp that he would be ready to go."

Sounds like it'd be Carp vs. Harrison if it goes 7.