2012 Cubs thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think Epstein will have an open checkbook, especially in his first year. That is how Hendry put the Cubs into the situation they currently find themselves in. Saber guys usually work better on limited funds too (Tampa Bay is exhibit A). Interesting dynamics this offseason. You have two first baseman on the market and a shiny new hire by the Cubs. Instinct tells you to make an even bigger splash and get one of these once in a lifetime guys (Pujols/Fielder) away from another team in your very division nonetheless, but the right guy for the job may be the one who was already there this year (Pena). I think Epstein should put his focus and resources elsewhere on the roster. I also think you let Quade ride out his deal and then let him go next year.

Monday, they declined the $3 million option of pitcher Jeff Samardzija.

The Cubs can cut Samardzija's $2.8 million salary by as much as 20 percent, paying him $2.24 million in 2012.

Samardzija signed a five-year, $10 million deal on the day of the 2007 Cubs Convention, with options in 2012 and 2013. He has a $3.5 million option in 2013, when he'll be arbitration-eligible.

Link

The Cubs also must work out a deal to pay the Red Sox compensation for the Epstein signing. Commissioner Bud Selig gave the two teams until Tuesday to cut a deal, threatening to become the sole arbiter if they could not get anything done.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
I can think of a Chicago team that could really use Samardzija right about now.

Eh, that ship has sailed. I cant really see him being much more than a Brian Finneran at this point in his career, it wasnt like he was blessed with amazing speed

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 11:16 PM)
Paul Sullivan talking today about Cubs wanting to sign Buehrle if he lowers his price.

That actually doesn't fit well with the supposed Theo et al. motto of "Focus in bringing in players with prime years left" that they keep stressing.

Basically, that would have to be Mark! giving the Cubs a better home town discount than the Sox and the Sox deciding they don't want him. Craziness.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 08:15 AM)
That actually doesn't fit well with the supposed Theo et al. motto of "Focus in bringing in players with prime years left" that they keep stressing.

Basically, that would have to be Mark! giving the Cubs a better home town discount than the Sox and the Sox deciding they don't want him. Craziness.

the only way that flies is if Mark totally bought into Guillen and is pissed at the way he got treated.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
holy crap the coverage of this thing is not slowing down

The SCORE covered it for an hour and a half this morning

You talking about Theo or Buehrle? The Buehrle-Cubs talk has been on the radio a lot this morning. I still say I'd be STUNNED, as I can't see someone like Buehrle signing with the rival of his two beloved teams.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 07:44 AM)
holy crap the coverage of this thing is not slowing down

The SCORE covered it for an hour and a half this morning

No hoops. Hockey? Yuck. Bears talk usually gets going Thursday through Saturday. And the White Sox just signed Jeff Manto. It's somewhat understandable.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)
You talking about Theo or Buehrle? The Buehrle-Cubs talk has been on the radio a lot this morning. I still say I'd be STUNNED, as I can't see someone like Buehrle signing with the rival of his two beloved teams.

My entire attitude towards Buehrle will swing as far is it possibly can in the blink of an eye if he does that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
@PWSullivan

Theo says next manager "must have managerial or coaching experience at the major league." That rules out Ryno.

I was going to see here comes Ryno, but now who knows. Just another retread I'm guessing unless Theo has Tito in the fold already.