2012 Cubs thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 10:38 AM)
The Cubs are interviewing Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin for their Managerial job. He interviewed with the Red Sox on Monday.

Moral of the story? Theo's a dick.

They've also added Dale Sveum, who is on the Red Sox list, and Rangers pitching coach Mike Maddux.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm Red Sox or Cubs, which one would be the preference for a candidate. If I was up for all three, I would pick the Cards hands down.

And I had this conversation with a Cubs fan last night. If the Cubs were to win a WS, it wouldnt be under this manager, I think the first guy is gone within 3 years and then they start winning a bit.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
Theo traded Hanley Ramirez for Beckett. Even taking on a boatload of contracts (Beckett and Lowell) he still gave up a premier SS talent.

Ive never been a big Epstein fan, so I think the Cubs and him are a good match.

Actually, Theo didn't make that trade, but it did get them a championship.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 07:38 PM)
Actually, Theo didn't make that trade, but it did get them a championship.

How did Theo not make that trade? That's one of his better ones other than the ones where his former employees helped him out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 07:31 PM)
How did Theo not make that trade? That's one of his better ones other than the ones where his former employees helped him out.

Because he wasn't employed by the Red Sox when that trade was made. He resigned in Oct 2005. The trade was made in Nov 2005. Theo came back in Jan 2006.

Edited by Dick Allen

ARamlink.

Third baseman Aramis Ramirez' tenure with the Chicago Cubs is officially done, according to his agent, Paul Kinzer.

Kinzer, who is attending this week's general managers meetings, said he will meet with other clubs this week about Ramirez's future, but that he does not plan to speak to the Cubs.

"That ship has sailed," Kinzer said. "We have a lot of interest in Aramis from different teams. But the Cubs will not be one of them."

According to a major league source, Kinzer had a meeting with Milwaukee Brewers general manager Doug Melvin on Monday afternoon. If Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder leaves as expected through the free-agent process, the club will be looking to replace his production. Fielder hit .299 and slugged 38 homers and 120 RBIs for the Brewers in 2011.

Fielder's agent Scott Boras, who is also in Milwaukee, said Monday that he will schedule meetings with Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer to get a feel for where the Cubs stand under their new management.

"Prince has hit well at Wrigley Field and he's done well in that division," said Boras, who also represents Cubs free agent Carlos Pena. "(The Cubs and I) haven't talked yet, but we will."

Zambrano link.

Chicago Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein met face-to-face with Carlos Zambrano on Monday afternoon and said the starter will get a chance to return to the team in 2012.

It was the first meeting between the new Cubs executive and the volatile pitcher since Epstein was hired on Oct. 21."We met today at his request," Epstein said. "It went well. He expressed a strong desire to be a Cub (again) and an even stronger desire to have a strong 2012 season. He's in great shape. He's working out twice a day, pitching down in Venezuela. I told him that we'd let him earn his right back to being a Cub.

"We said he'd have to work hard and that we aren't welcoming him back unconditionally. We said he'd have to earn his way back."

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 11:03 PM)
I rule?

Congrats, you win a cookie. This whole time I had no idea he was a 3rd base coach for Boston. I enjoyed this from Wikipedia:

Sveum was the third base coach for the Boston Red Sox from 2004–05, working under manager (and former Brewers teammate) Terry Francona, and was part of the 2004 World Series championship team. In Boston, he was known for being aggressive with sending runners, though this often led to runners being thrown out at home plate.