Sox officially hire coaches

southsider2k5

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
MDGonzales Mark Gonzales

Sox make it official with hirings of McEwing, Manto and Parent as coaches.

whitesox Chicago White Sox

News: #WhiteSox have named Jeff Manto as the club’s hitting coach, Joe McEwing as third base coach and Mark Parent as bench coach

I all the sudden want to head to the liquor store for some Manto Malt Liquor

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)
fwiw, only Parent irks me. I'm glad McEwing is getting a promotion, and I like Manto. but Parent's hiring is terrible.

It started with the Ventura hiring being terrible. But with hiring a guy with no experience whatsoever, they absolutely needed to bring in a veteran major league coach/former manager to be the bench coach. Again, they went with a guy with no major league experience whatsoever.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)
It started with the Ventura hiring being terrible. But with hiring a guy with no experience whatsoever, they absolutely needed to bring in a veteran major league coach/former manager to be the bench coach. Again, they went with a guy with no major league experience whatsoever.

Posted by someone who has zero idea what it takes to be a bench coach or manager in the major leagues right? Since you also have no experience.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
In other words, everything put on this board by everyone ever is complete nonsense

No, thats overgeneralization.

In this particular case the only negatives anyone can come up with about the coaching staff is that they have no idea how to do their job because they have never done that particular job. If experience is a prerequisite to understanding what it takes to do that job well then nobody on this board actually knows what it takes to do that job successfully. I would like to see the statements made being critical of the new coaches to at least have the understanding that if you are taking that position then you yourself are also talking completely out of your ass based on your argument.

I would rather play the wait and see card. Clearly Robin has more experience at the major league level in the clubhouse than most of the managers that are being hired today. Since he also had direct influence on who his coaches were I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, especially before a single f***ing game has been played.

Lots of crabby people today. :) I'm more of the mindset to wait and see what happens. On the surface, one has to wonder why the Sox went the way they did with the lack of experience. But we will not know how this will turn out until the season starts. And even then it'll be a while before we can really make a good judgement.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)
Yes, if you dont actually read my post. Otherwise, good one.

But then we can't judge a rookie for failing, or any hitter for underperforming, because we don't know the skills it takes to reach that level. We have never even made it to minor league ball, let alone the majors, so we can't even begin to understand how much talent you truly need.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
So...Pirates hitting coach. Did he have his hands on McCutcheon?

Only in Spring Training, if ever. 2006 and 2007.

On Jose Bautista - "If we can get him to replicate his swing three days in a row, Jose Bautista could hit 25 homers a year. In fact, I think he could hit 40. He is just so easily frustrated when it doesn’t go right that he blames himself and forgets what he’s learned. Or ignores it. But of all these guys I have, if you want one of them who will eventually do something special in this game, I’d pick him. I wouldn’t be very surprised."

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)
But then we can't judge a rookie for failing, or any hitter for underperforming, because we don't know the skills it takes to reach that level. We have never even made it to minor league ball, let alone the majors, so we can't even begin to understand how much talent you truly need.

Yes, if thats the platform you are taking to criticize the coaching hires. I dont think thats the case as people with zero experience working jobs can definitely succeed if they have the right tools and motivation.

Once again, in this particular case if your only argument is that they are going to suck because they dont have experience you are basically arguing against your argument.