Sox officially hire coaches

southsider2k5

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)
Yes, if thats the platform you are taking to criticize the coaching hires. I dont think thats the case as people with zero experience working jobs can definitely succeed if they have the right tools and motivation.

Once again, in this particular case if your only argument is that they are going to suck because they dont have experience you are basically arguing against your argument.

There's a reason these things don't happen in the real world. It would make sense if Ventura had some management experience. It's like an owner of a business deciding to make his son, who had previously worked in the mail room for about 15 years and has since been backpacking across Europe for about 8 years, the VP of his company. It would help if the guy had even been a manager of a handful of employees at some level of the company beforehand. And instead of making his right-hand man someone who had experience with a high level of authority in another similarly-sized corporation, he picks his buddy who was the night manager of a White Castle. I don't have to have run a Fortune 500 company to know that this is a mistake. It might work out down the line somehow, but the guy should have at least put in some effort to get where he is.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)
I'm taking the wait and see approach, but I sure would have felt a lot better if there was an experienced guy sitting on the bench next to Ventura.

And who else beside Coop speaks fluent Spanish?

Man if this doesn't go right, US Cellular field is going to be empty an awful lot next year.

Barring a miraculous turnaround from a lot of players, the Cell will be empty a lot next year.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
There's a reason these things don't happen in the real world. It would make sense if Ventura had some management experience. It's like an owner of a business deciding to make his son, who had previously worked in the mail room for about 15 years and has since been backpacking across Europe for about 8 years, the VP of his company. It would help if the guy had even been a manager of a handful of employees at some level of the company beforehand. And instead of making his right-hand man someone who had experience with a high level of authority in another similarly-sized corporation, he picks his buddy who was the night manager of a White Castle. I don't have to have run a Fortune 500 company to know that this is a mistake. It might work out down the line somehow, but the guy should have at least put in some effort to get where he is.

So, Robin Ventura = Billy Madison?

whitesox Chicago White Sox

Mark Parent: cont... we're not afraid to throw our hat in the ring & go for it

Jeff Manto: I am extremely grateful to have been asked to do this job

Jeff Manto: I know videos are an important part of baseball, but that's not my first priority. My first priority is to communicate.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
So, Robin Ventura = Billy Madison?

I don't believe Billy ever worked at all. But using that scenario, it's like having Billy almost be in charge (taking KW into account) and where he should have chosen Carl as his advisor/second-in-command, he chose Norm MacDonald.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 01:21 PM)

Mark Parent: Robin isn't afraid to fail. A lot of people don't understand that when players are done playing we're still the same people

That's a good mindset, I guess. I have a feeling that they'll be seeing a lot of what they're not afraid of in 2012.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 01:18 PM)

Do you honestly think what you wrote applies to this situation at all? If you do then it's probably not worth even trying to explain to you how terrible your reasoning is. In your example Robins illustrious MLB career is equal to working in the mail room. Lol.

Jeff Manto: If you look at the staff makeup, we're all the same type of players. We're all grinders.

Jeff Manto: As we walk into this the past is the past. We want to move forward but we're happy to learn from it and see what we can do...

Robin Ventura: I don't worry as much when people bring up the experience...I look at our experience as a positive

Robin Ventura: This isn't a manufactured thing. They're qualified, and I totally trust them to be able to do what we've asked them to do.

MDGonzales Mark Gonzales

Mike Gellinger and Kevin hickey will remain part of Sox staff

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
Do you honestly think what you wrote applies to this situation at all? If you do then it's probably not worth even trying to explain to you how terrible your reasoning is. In your example Robins illustrious MLB career is equal to working in the mail room. Lol.

I'm just picking a level of a company. You can say that he was just a salesman in a company then, if that helps you swallow it. You watch The Office? It's like Andy getting promoted from being salesman, past Regional Manager, to David Wallace's job.

1) Bob Brenly - 2001 Arizona Diamondbacks

2) Ralph Houk - 1961 New York Yankees

3) Eddie Dyer - 1946 St. Louis Cardinals

4) Bucky Harris - 1924 Washington Senators (was a player/manager)

Does Ventura have the players and coaches to be #5?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
I'm just picking a level of a company. You can say that he was just a salesman in a company then, if that helps you swallow it. You watch The Office? It's like Andy getting promoted from being salesman, past Regional Manager, to David Wallace's job.

Yikes, part of Robin's duties as the new manager will be taking over for the CFO? I bet Tim Buzzard SVP of administration is not happy about losing his duties.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)
I'd have preferred BIG HURT BEER!

jk. I swear I've never heard of Manto, but hopefully he's better than Walker!

Manto better pray that Adam Dunn performs to his career numbers because that will make him look like a god.

Raines, given that Ventura and his staff have NO experience, on what basis exactly ARE we supposed to evaluate this decision at this point?

What about draft picks? They've never played at the ML level before, and management must see something in them, so there's no point in evaluating those either.

I'm sure you've taken a "wait and see" attitude with every draft pick the white sox have ever made, right?

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)
Raines, given that Ventura and his staff have NO experience, on what basis exactly ARE we supposed to evaluate this decision at this point?

What about draft picks? They've never played at the ML level before, and management must see something in them, so there's no point in evaluating those either.

I'm sure you've taken a "wait and see" attitude with every draft pick the white sox have ever made, right?

The bolded has absolutely nothing to do with my posts. Go back and re-read what I said.

And Robin has a TON of experience in an MLB clubhouse, McEwing has both playing experience and managerial experience and was also named the top managerial candidate in the Southern league. In 2009 he was named the manager of the year in that league as well. Parent has 4 years of managerial experience as well as 474 games of MLB playing experience. So I take it that NO experience was either based on NO research or based on him not having held the title of manager at the MLB level, kind of like TLR when he was hired by the Sox.

If you were going to name the top MLB managers in the modern era: TLR, Torre, Bobby Cox, Sparky Anderson you have less than 10 years of minor league managerial experience between them before they became MLB managers, and roughly 2 years of MLB coaching experience total (other than manager).

Edited by RockRaines