All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 04:47 PM)
It's impressive how civil American sports fans are compared to soccer fans all across the globe.

This makes ZERO sense. How civil were the fans for the Pacers/Pistons brawl at the palace? American sports are on a much smaller scare compared to, you know, THE REST OF THE WORLD. There's hundreds of soccer leagues in the middle of the season right now, and this one riot is supposed to make it seem like a frequent occurrence? Yes, it happens, but it's also because it's the top sport in most countries around the world and the pure volume of soccer matches outnumbers anything that happens in the US.

EDIT: After reading some other articles, it looks like this group of hooligans is notorious in Egypt.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
This makes ZERO sense. How civil were the fans for the Pacers/Pistons brawl at the palace? American sports are on a much smaller scare compared to, you know, THE REST OF THE WORLD. There's hundreds of soccer leagues in the middle of the season right now, and this one riot is supposed to make it seem like a frequent occurrence? Yes, it happens, but it's also because it's the top sport in most countries around the world and the pure volume of soccer matches outnumbers anything that happens in the US.

You have to know that soccer matches in general can get really rowdy; before, during, and after the game......Now obviously there have been ugly incidents for all sports including throughout America but typically soccer fans are on another level than anything close to football fans in America.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 12:07 AM)
This makes ZERO sense. How civil were the fans for the Pacers/Pistons brawl at the palace?

They didn't kill each other.

Seriously though, you would never see the crap that goes on at certain soccer games in the US. Obviously, the US has their fair share of awful fans everywhere, but yeah, soccer hooligans can take it to another level in comparison.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 06:10 PM)
You have to know that soccer matches in general can get really rowdy; before, during, and after the game......Now obviously there have been ugly incidents for all sports including throughout America but typically soccer fans are on another level than anything close to football fans in America.

The problem, and I guess you can say the main difference, is that there are far bigger fan clubs throughout the world than there are in the US. And too often, the fan clubs are pretty much tied to some sort of criminal activities.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 06:12 PM)
They didn't kill each other.

Seriously though, you would never see the crap that goes on at certain soccer games in the US. Obviously, the US has their fair share of awful fans everywhere, but yeah, soccer hooligans can take it to another level in comparison.

America is a very young country with little history. If soccer ever got as popular here as it did in the rest of the world, there is no doubt that you'd see similar things happen. Soccer is a religion. And with how often nationalistic and government issues get involved, it's liable to boil over. Lord knows it's still going on in the Balkans, and of course it's going to happen in places that have undergone such incredible governmental changes like Egypt has.

EDIT: After reading some other articles, it looks like this group of hooligans is notorious in Egypt.

How many American fans have died as a result of violence at sporting events??

In America, you can sit anywhere you want at an opposing team's stadium. In many European stadiums, you have to sit in a certain away section guarded up from the rest of the fans for protection. I know that in Poland, there are groups of fans that follow their team around specifically to fight the other team's fans, not even to watch the actual game.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
How many American fans have died as a result of violence at sporting events??

In America, you can sit anywhere you want at an opposing team's stadium. In many European stadiums, you have to sit in a certain away section guarded up from the rest of the fans for protection. I know that in Poland, there are groups of fans that follow their team around specifically to fight the other team's fans, not even to watch the actual game.

Brian Stow nearly died at a baseball game? How many fights have you seen at Cubs/Sox games? Raiders/49ers? Hell, look what happened in Vancouver last year.

They really aren't that similar though. How many instances of fan violence can you think of in the US where people have died? Even something like in LA where a guy ended up in a coma was huge news, and that is levels less than some of the soccer riots that happen outside of the US.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 06:11 PM)
Brian Stow nearly died at a baseball game? How many fights have you seen at Cubs/Sox games? Raiders/49ers? Hell, look what happened in Vancouver last year.

OK, one person nearly died. Those are a few fights between drunken idiots, not entire sections of fans storming the pitch/field. That's not entire groups of fans trying to get to another section, causing the stadium to collpase, trapping tons of fans. The idiots of Vancouver are an opposite example, but they also weren't attacking opposing fans. Plus, they are Canucks fans, they don't really count.

I get all your other points about how much larger & more important soccer is to the rest of the world, and I agree. In fact, that's my point. We see the occasional fistfight at a Cubs/Sox game or people talk about how Philly fans are so rough if you go to a game there. Fact is, soccer fandom is way more intense, which does lead to more hooliganry & criminal activity, and unfortunately more tragedies.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 07:18 PM)
OK, one person nearly died. Those are a few fights between drunken idiots, not entire sections of fans storming the pitch/field. That's not entire groups of fans trying to get to another section, causing the stadium to collpase, trapping tons of fans. The idiots of Vancouver are an opposite example, but they also weren't attacking opposing fans. Plus, they are Canucks fans, they don't really count.

I get all your other points about how much larger & more important soccer is to the rest of the world, and I agree. In fact, that's my point. We see the occasional fistfight at a Cubs/Sox game or people talk about how Philly fans are so rough if you go to a game there. Fact is, soccer fandom is way more intense, which does lead to more hooliganry & criminal activity, and unfortunately more tragedies.

Then I think we're on the same page to an extent. The pure passion displayed by fans of soccer teams around the world is unparalleled. Now, I'm not saying you can't be passionate about a sport without being a dumbass, but watch an NBA game and then watch just about any European basketball game and then compare what the atmosphere in the stadium is like. American sports fans are incredibly tame. Hell, look at Japanese baseball fans compared to the MLB. I wish American sports teams had some of the same rituals, intensity and passion as the rest of the world displays.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 06:23 PM)
Then I think we're on the same page to an extent. The pure passion displayed by fans of soccer teams around the world is unparalleled. Now, I'm not saying you can't be passionate about a sport without being a dumbass, but watch an NBA game and then watch just about any European basketball game and then compare what the atmosphere in the stadium is like. American sports fans are incredibly tame. Hell, look at Japanese baseball fans compared to the MLB. I wish American sports teams had some of the same rituals, intensity and passion as the rest of the world displays.

You see it more in college sports. With free agency in pro sports, it is much harder to have that attachment to teams, as players move around a lot more.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 07:27 PM)
With free agency in pro sports, it is much harder to have that attachment to teams, as players move around a lot more.

That reason couldn't be further from the truth. There's an incredible amount of activity in star players going from team to team in soccer and it doesn't effect the fans one bit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 06:27 PM)
You see it more in college sports. With free agency in pro sports, it is much harder to have that attachment to teams, as players move around a lot more.

Yeah, you always see players stay in college for a decade or so.

American sports are on a much smaller scare compared to, you know, THE REST OF THE WORLD. There's hundreds of soccer leagues in the middle of the season right now, and this one riot is supposed to make it seem like a frequent occurrence? Yes, it happens, but it's also because it's the top sport in most countries around the world and the pure volume of soccer matches outnumbers anything that happens in the US.

To be honest, the atmosphere is way overrated in a lot of these leagues. The Serie A plays in half full stadiums. EPL can have great atmosphere for the derbies, but the big clubs charge way too much for the drunken idiots to be a majority. I'm not saying the passion isn't amazing and I'm not saying you need hooligans to have a great atmosphere, but great atmospheres aren't everywhere for every game in international football.

Plus, I'll take college football against anything in the world in terms of pure volume. In terms of stadium size the US is unmatched. The US has 48 stadiums (says wiki) of 70k+ capacity for pro/college football. That's more than the entire planet does for soccer stadiums. NFL doesn't always have a great atmosphere, but many college venues do for every game and they fill these places.

I love soccer and I love the passion the rest of the world has for the game. I played it, loved it and then discovered a whole different world to the sport. The drama involved in promotion/relegation and a minnow taking on a big name in Europe is something we don't have the way our sports work. That doesn't mean we don't have the same passion for sports in this country. It's just that we don't have that passion for soccer unfortunately.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 12:42 AM)
To be honest, the atmosphere is way overrated in a lot of these leagues. The Serie A plays in half full stadiums. EPL can have great atmosphere for the derbies, but the big clubs charge way too much for the drunken idiots to be a majority. I'm not saying the passion isn't amazing and I'm not saying you need hooligans to have a great atmosphere, but great atmospheres aren't everywhere for every game in international football.

Plus, I'll take college football against anything in the world in terms of pure volume. In terms of stadium size the US is unmatched. The US has 48 stadiums (says wiki) of 70k+ capacity for pro/college football. That's more than the entire planet does for soccer stadiums. NFL doesn't always have a great atmosphere, but many college venues do for every game and they fill these places.

I love soccer and I love the passion the rest of the world has for the game. I played it, loved it and then discovered a whole different world to the sport. The drama involved in promotion/relegation and a minnow taking on a big name in Europe is something we don't have the way our sports work. That doesn't mean we don't have the same passion for sports in this country. It's just that we don't have that passion for soccer unfortunately.

You seem to have misunderstood a couple of my points.

When I said pure volume I meant in regards to how many soccer leagues and matches are going on at any given point in the world compared to how many professional events happen at any given point just in the United States.

And the atmosphere I'm arguing about is in regards to all sports, not just soccer. Watch some of the top tier basketball leagues in the world and compare that to an NBA game. NBA fans are comatose in comparison.

And college football doesn't count in this argument for two reasons: 1, it's not a professional sport. 2, they have a built-in fan base of students that will always be there. Look at the top college football stadiums by capacity, look at what town it's in, and then see if there are any professional teams there.

Of all the entertainment events going on all over the world, at what event are you more likely to get killed?

Concert? Baseball game? Soccer game? Play? Church Revival? and where are you most likely to get killed? US? Europe? Africa? Asia?

We (US) like our violence in smaller numbers and with guns. We don't need no stinking sports event to kill some people.

• 3 weeks later...

Dempsey is having a hell of a year.

Bradley played well. Back line needs to still do some work on not biting on the attacker running up the middle. Nice goal by Dempsey in the 55th minute.

1-0 USA over Italy

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)
Dempsey is having a hell of a year.

Bradley played well. Back line needs to still do some work on not biting on the attacker running up the middle. Nice goal by Dempsey in the 55th minute.

1-0 USA over Italy

Yeah, if the Italian forwards timed their runs better it could have been 3 or 4 to 1 for them. That said, the US d deserves some credit for drawing the offsides. It's not really a big win though. It's just a friendly. For all the people that overreacted to the earlier losses, they shouldn't be overreacting to this win either.

Yeah, if the Italian forwards timed their runs better it could have been 3 or 4 to 1 for them. That said, the US d deserves some credit for drawing the offsides. It's not really a big win though. It's just a friendly. For all the people that overreacted to the earlier losses, they shouldn't be overreacting to this win either.

How many of Italy's best players played? If it was most of them, then it's a pretty big win even though just a friendly.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 01:57 AM)

First win in 11 tries vs. Italy & on the road? I don't care if it's a friendly, it's still a pretty big victory.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 07:42 AM)
How many of Italy's best players played? If it was most of them, then it's a pretty big win even though just a friendly.

Italy had several players out, notably Giuseppi Rossi, Simone Pepe, Alberto Gilardino and Mario Balotelli. They were very young up front, which probably contributed to their numerous off-sides penalties. That being said, the US also played without Donovan, Jermaine Jones and Gooch so they weren't at full strength either.

It was in Italy, Italy fielded a strong team, and the US won. Italy looked the better side but the US got the result. It was only a friendly, but Italy is still ranked 7th in the world, and beating a team like that on the road is a tremendous step in the right direction for the USMNT program. They had never defeated Italy anywhere, ever, so this is a great result for American soccer. Hopefully this is a spark and a sign of the direction we are headed in and not just an aberration

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 01:57 AM)

The defense definitely got lucky. I watched them bite over and over and see a guy get sent free. They really need to work on making this a more cohesive defense.

Now the offense looked pretty decent. Starting to see a bit more of organization and build up. Instead of the traditional, long ball, long ball, awkward shot. Or counter attack lucky goal.

The entire goal of these friendlies are to evaluate for the qualifying teams. And I think we got a slight taste of some good things to come. Hopefully our defense tightens up.