All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 15, 2012 -> 06:31 PM)
Sucks but I cant really be upset at him too much. Young kid who is German and wants to keep his options open. He just needs tor realize Germany might not have any intentions of calling him up and he might see his international career pass by. Only get so many opportunities to play in a World Cup...

Oh I agree, can't get too upset with him. He grew up German essentially so this is unlike the Giuseppe Rossi situation. But it definitely sucks as he would be almost certainly a lock for our starting XI for the next decade

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 19, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
Chelsea beats Munich, pretty good last 60 minutes.

Good drama regarding Bayern's late goal and Chelsea's answer (and to some extend Robben's blown PK), but Chelsea is boring. They aren't good enough to play with good teams so they just defend and pray. Napoli's lack of experience cost them against Chelsea when they had them dead to rights. Chelsea put 9 in the box to defend Barca and got away with it. Against Bayern they got lucky while Munich flubbed chance after chance until PKs. This is like the 06 Cards winning the World Series. They weren't a good team, but have the crown somehow.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 20, 2012 -> 04:15 AM)
Good drama regarding Bayern's late goal and Chelsea's answer (and to some extend Robben's blown PK), but Chelsea is boring. They aren't good enough to play with good teams so they just defend and pray. Napoli's lack of experience cost them against Chelsea when they had them dead to rights. Chelsea put 9 in the box to defend Barca and got away with it. Against Bayern they got lucky while Munich flubbed chance after chance until PKs. This is like the 06 Cards winning the World Series. They weren't a good team, but have the crown somehow.

After the first 60 minutes, I figured Chelsea was going to fluke their way into a goal because Bayern had too many chances. Just couldnt get a shot past the wall of defenders in the box. Seemed like Chelsea was hoping to get this to PKs from the start. Even in AET, Chelsea had no intentions on scoring.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 20, 2012 -> 03:15 AM)

LOL, solid comparison. I think their 6th place finish is one of the worst ever for a champion. Kind of ridiculous how their title knocks Tottenham out of the CL next year, that costs them huge bucks.

So anyone watching some of the friendlies?

The US just dismantled Scotland the other night. Nice debut for Landon under Jurgen. Torres looked really good and looks like Fabian Johnson is going to secure a spot on the back line. I know Scotland isnt some world beater but it was refreshing to see our team play with some creativity.

Brazil and at Canada this week before WCQ begins on the 8th.

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 28, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
So anyone watching some of the friendlies?

The US just dismantled Scotland the other night. Nice debut for Landon under Jurgen. Torres looked really good and looks like Fabian Johnson is going to secure a spot on the back line. I know Scotland isnt some world beater but it was refreshing to see our team play with some creativity.

Brazil and at Canada this week before WCQ begins on the 8th.

Scotland is not one of the elite teams of Europe, but they would still be a legitimate threat in the CONCACAF. The fact that the US didn't just beat them, but thoroughly dismantled them is a great sign. They played really well all around. And Jozy and Dempsey did not even play. We still need another player in the back four to replace Chandler. Would have loved to see Lichaj or Gatt get a look there.

Brazil will be a better test for us and I believe they are bringing a good portion of their 'A' team in for the match.

*Edit - Well they are bringing some potent offense but their back four and GK are young and suspect so we should have some chances in this one

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 30, 2012 -> 09:56 PM)
US playing Brazil pretty well in the final 20 minutes or so.

Not getting the results, but still good to have Brazil playing defense.

Atleast we look decent attacking. Could have been 4-3 but it also could have been 6-1.

Gooch is done. Nothing good happens with him out there. Seems like he plays a big part in every goal allowed a lthough that was a pretty weak penalty awarded.

Herc getting more time will be nice. Looked really good out there.

Its always hard to tell when the US doesnt put their full line up out there to start (I think Dempsey only played 2nd half), they arent nearly as deep as a team as Brazil.

That being said, there were moments where the US squad actually looked faster/more fit than Brazil. Obviously US isnt going to compete with a team like Brazil on the ball, so if they can be more athletic, at least it gives them a shot when they play EPL style (long over the top attacking).

Fabian Johnson was a major bright spot, he looked really good. Gomez looked dangerous up top as well. I really like when we play with 2 forwards. Hopefully JK tries that with him and Jozy next week. Disappointing to lose with a score line like that, but there really were quite a few positives in the that game, especially at the offensive end where we actually looked dangerous on several occasions.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 31, 2012 -> 08:21 AM)
Fabian Johnson was a major bright spot, he looked really good. Gomez looked dangerous up top as well. I really like when we play with 2 forwards. Hopefully JK tries that with him and Jozy next week. Disappointing to lose with a score line like that, but there really were quite a few positives in the that game, especially at the offensive end where we actually looked dangerous on several occasions.

Johnson was man of the match for the US and it wasn't even close. Chandler who?

Gomez needs to work on his first touch though. He knows where to be, which the US doesn't have enough of at forward, but he doesn't quite have the skill to be dangerous at the international level.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 31, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)
Johnson was man of the match for the US and it wasn't even close. Chandler who?

Gomez needs to work on his first touch though. He knows where to be, which the US doesn't have enough of at forward, but he doesn't quite have the skill to be dangerous at the international level.

Chandler would look very nice at RB across from Johnson at LB... though I think Lichaj has a great future at RB if he can stay healthy.

Johnson and Bradley were the two best Americans to me. I thought it was very odd that JK dropped Bradley deep and played Edu in a more advanced role, especially since those were reversed with great effect against Scotland.

Excited to see a full American squad with Jozy and Dempsey on the field.

Need to get younger at CB. There's no way Gooch and Boca are playing at a high enough level in 2014. Hopefully Ream, Cameron, George John, Goodsen, Gonzalez, et al can become international quality in the next 2 years.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ May 31, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
Chandler would look very nice at RB across from Johnson at LB... though I think Lichaj has a great future at RB if he can stay healthy.

Johnson and Bradley were the two best Americans to me. I thought it was very odd that JK dropped Bradley deep and played Edu in a more advanced role, especially since those were reversed with great effect against Scotland.

Excited to see a full American squad with Jozy and Dempsey on the field.

Need to get younger at CB. There's no way Gooch and Boca are playing at a high enough level in 2014. Hopefully Ream, Cameron, George John, Goodsen, Gonzalez, et al can become international quality in the next 2 years.

Agree on Lichaj. I think he'll be comparable to Chandler soon enough.

I think Klinsmann knows Bradley is his best two-way midfielder so against a team like Scotland he used him in the attack. Against Brazil when you know you're going to be on the defensive, Bradley drops back more. I think it was just a matter of making sure Bradley was involved in the play as much as possible.

As for the CBs, I think Boca can make it through 2014. He probably retires from international play right after that World Cup, but I think he's quality enough to last that long. As for who plays with him? That's the new hole for the MNT. Someone has to step up or that will be the new LB.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 12:36 AM)
Super-duper epic fail at the end of the Bosnia/Mexico match, and Chicharito capitalized.

lol, if the Bad News Bears were a soccer team that play would have been written into the script.

The guy had so much time that he whiffed twice on the same play.

Euro 2012 starts Friday. Just hoping that Poland doesn't embarass themselves on the field with their relatively easy group or on the big stage as host of the tourney. Although with regards to the latter, Ukraine has jumped in the lead with all the stories of awful rampant racism.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 07:08 PM)
Euro 2012 starts Friday. Just hoping that Poland doesn't embarass themselves on the field with their relatively easy group or on the big stage as host of the tourney. Although with regards to the latter, Ukraine has jumped in the lead with all the stories of awful rampant racism.

I don't see Poland advancing in that group.

Russia/Czech Rep (A)

Netherlands/Germany (B) - but holy s*** Group of Death, Portugal or Denmark could just as easily advance

Spain/Croatia © - Italy is going to have problems scoring

Sweden/England (D)

And in a completely non out-of-the-box prediction, the winner will be Spain

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 08:04 AM)
I don't see Poland advancing in that group.

Russia/Czech Rep (A)

Netherlands/Germany (B) - but holy s*** Group of Death, Portugal or Denmark could just as easily advance

Spain/Croatia © - Italy is going to have problems scoring

Sweden/England (D)

And in a completely non out-of-the-box prediction, the winner will be Spain

Unfortunately, I concur about Poland not advancing. Group B is ridiculous, stuck between picking Holland & Portugal. My only major difference is I think France will escape Group D instead of England. Not having Wayne Rooney for the first two matches will be too much to overcome. Unluckily for themm, Ukraine is their final match.

I don't follow terribly closely, but I can make bad predictions just as well as anybody:

A: Russia/Greece

B: Netherlands/Germany

C: Spain/Croatia

D: France/England

QF: Germany over Russia, Spain over England, Netherlands over Greece, Croatia over France

SF: Spain over Germany, Netherlands over Croatia

F: Spain over Netherlands

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 07:08 PM)

Poland got in the act by taunting members of the Dutch team today. Awesome selection here UEFA.

Group A: Greece and Russia. Weak group and I wouldnt be shocked if Poland played inspired at home and did enough to move on.

Group B: Germany and Netherlands

Group C: Spain and Croatia. I think Italy will be what France was in South Africa. Ireland may have a shot here if they can get a point from Croatia in the first match. Should be a tight race for second place.

Group D: France and Sweden.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)
Holy crap, major swing there. Red card on the Polish keeper resulting in a penalty, than the backup saves it cold off the bench.

Wow!!! That was intense. That would have been a disaster, especially since Greece had been playing with 10 men the whole half.

Edited by LittleHurt05