All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 12:36 PM)
In other news, New Caledonia defeated New Zealand in the OFC cup semis so in the Confed Cup next year the OFC representative will be either New Caledonia or Tahiti lol

LOL, that is hilarious. Since Australia moved to the Asian group, the OFC should not have an automatic bid to that tourney.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
LOL, that is hilarious. Since Australia moved to the Asian group, the OFC should not have an automatic bid to that tourney.

I'm actually fine with it. It is not that highly regarded in international football. They only have the .5 bid to the WC, which I think is right. This way they do get a guaranteed spot in one international tourney

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 12:57 PM)
I'm actually fine with it. It is not that highly regarded in international football. They only have the .5 bid to the WC, which I think is right. This way they do get a guaranteed spot in one international tourney

I see your point, but if one of those sides faces Brazil, somebody might get killed on the pitch! Absolute beatdown.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
I'm pretty sure it applies. What the hell did the keeper do to get a RC?

A Greek got in the box alone, and the keeper took him down with a trip. So the keeper got a red card, but the backup came in and saved the PK.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 03:29 PM)
Yup. He's easily their best all-time player.

That was incredible to see him score those goals. Unbelievable story. Group D just became the most interesting one in the tournament IMO. All four teams are capable of advancing with the standings as they are.

Didnt look comfortable the entire game but got a point on the road. Should have gotten the 3 though.

Did anyone watch it? What was up with the ref calling the foul instead of letting the play continue since Altidore got the ball cleanly. It would have been 2-0 and that wouldve sealed the deal.

Why not just have a true global WC qualification?

209 teams in FIFA. Host automatically qualifies, reinstate automatic qualification for defending champion. 207 teams qualifying for 30 spots.

First round - Teams ranked 33-207 are drawn into 43 groups of four plus 1 group of three. Top two teams in each group (88 teams total) advance to second round.

Second round - Teams ranked 1-32 along with teams advancing from first round are drawn into 30 groups of four. Top two teams in each group (60 teams total) advance to final round.

Final round - Teams advancing from second round are drawn into 15 groups of four. Top two teams in each group qualify.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
Why not just have a true global WC qualification?

209 teams in FIFA. Host automatically qualifies, reinstate automatic qualification for defending champion. 207 teams qualifying for 30 spots.

First round - Teams ranked 33-207 are drawn into 43 groups of four plus 1 group of three. Top two teams in each group (88 teams total) advance to second round.

Second round - Teams ranked 1-32 along with teams advancing from first round are drawn into 30 groups of four. Top two teams in each group (60 teams total) advance to final round.

Final round - Teams advancing from second round are drawn into 15 groups of four. Top two teams in each group qualify.

That's not bad, although the travel could become a big pain in the ass. If you have a group with Indonesia, Honduras, Norway, & Ghana, you have teams travelling across the whole world for one game. That would lead to some interesting culture clashes as well.