All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 11:01 PM)
Didnt look comfortable the entire game but got a point on the road. Should have gotten the 3 though.

Did anyone watch it? What was up with the ref calling the foul instead of letting the play continue since Altidore got the ball cleanly. It would have been 2-0 and that wouldve sealed the deal.

It wasn't bad. It's what you get in Central America, bad officiating and no breaks. Hard to get too upset.

I like the idea above about global qualifying in theory, but I quite like the regional rivalries that develop.

Portugal just won despite Cristiano Ronaldo. I would have bet on not being able to say that. One because who would expect such a garbage showing from Ronaldo and two because how can Portugal beat anyone in this tournament while Ronaldo was so poor?

That's not bad, although the travel could become a big pain in the ass. If you have a group with Indonesia, Honduras, Norway, & Ghana, you have teams travelling across the whole world for one game. That would lead to some interesting culture clashes as well.

Well, instead of playing two matches every other month for 6-9 months, have the top-ranked team in the group host and get it all over with in 17 days.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)
Well, instead of playing two matches every other month for 6-9 months, have the top-ranked team in the group host and get it all over with in 17 days.

Well that just makes it completely unfair

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 04:43 PM)
Ugh, Poland dominated the first 30 minutes, couldn't score, then just sucked balls. Oh well, didn't expect them to advance anyway.

Pretty awesome that Greece pulled the upset on Russia.

Nice for the emotions now but it will suck that Greece won when they go against Germany. Not that Russia had a chance to beat the Germans but atleast Russia doesnt suck the life out of the game.

Who would've thought that Russia would be going home and the Czechs would win the group after the first match?

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 03:47 PM)
Nice for the emotions now but it will suck that Greece won when they go against Germany. Not that Russia had a chance to beat the Germans but atleast Russia doesnt suck the life out of the game.

Who would've thought that Russia would be going home and the Czechs would win the group after the first match?

Well I hate Russia, so it's good either way. But don't forget Euro 2004...

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)
Ugh, Poland dominated the first 30 minutes, couldn't score, then just sucked balls. Oh well, didn't expect them to advance anyway.

It's funny because usually in this tournament I wonder where the US stacks up and realize they have a long way to go to catch up with most of the teams that make Euro. That said (and I know Poland didn't have to qualify) the US could take that team. They tied in a friendly at Soldier Field a couple years ago if that means anything, but Poland just didn't have the quality.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 07:26 PM)
It's funny because usually in this tournament I wonder where the US stacks up and realize they have a long way to go to catch up with most of the teams that make Euro. That said (and I know Poland didn't have to qualify) the US could take that team. They tied in a friendly at Soldier Field a couple years ago if that means anything, but Poland just didn't have the quality.

Actually forgeting about the FIFA rankings and all I think Poland and UMNT are pretty even, on the same level I'd say.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 10:43 PM)
Actually forgeting about the FIFA rankings and all I think Poland and UMNT are pretty even, on the same level I'd say.

That was basically my point. That said, the US did win a World Cup group that featured the team ranked 6th (England) so I don't think they'd be totally outclassed. Poland's 2 draws show they weren't either I guess. As for the rankings (which are meaningless), Poland sits 62 partially because they didn't have to qualify so they didn't have as many matches to rank them.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 11:21 PM)
That was basically my point. That said, the US did win a World Cup group that featured the team ranked 6th (England) so I don't think they'd be totally outclassed. Poland's 2 draws show they weren't either I guess. As for the rankings (which are meaningless), Poland sits 62 partially because they didn't have to qualify so they didn't have as many matches to rank them.

Agreed!

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 03:20 PM)
The goal line technology argument will probably come up again, but at the same time, he was offside to start and the flag didn't go up.

It has to come up again. Goals don't come frequently enough to have them taken away wrongly.

That said, Sweden was probably the most dangerous team in this group. They led in the 2nd half in all 3 games and only came away with 3 points. Hard to do that.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
It has to come up again. Goals don't come frequently enough to have them taken away wrongly.

That said, Sweden was probably the most dangerous team in this group. They led in the 2nd half in all 3 games and only came away with 3 points. Hard to do that.

Do you agree he was offside in the first place?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
I really don't give a s***. Generally speaking, you can't miss a call that involves the ball going over the line.

I totally agree with you.

This has nothing to do with the play being offsides, it has everything to do with putting a ref at the goal line and still getting the call wrong.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 07:51 PM)
I totally agree with you.

This has nothing to do with the play being offsides, it has everything to do with putting a ref at the goal line and still getting the call wrong.

I don't think anyone ever said that putting a pair of eyes on the goal line meant that every single call would be correct. In real time, it would be extremely hard for anyone to be 100% sure that the entire ball crossed the line. And even with the replays provided, there is not conclusive evidence the entire ball was over the line.

Do I think it was a goal? Yes. Should he have been called offside anyway? Yes. They didn't deserve the goal, they didn't get the goal. All is well as far as I'm concerned.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 12:41 PM)
I don't think anyone ever said that putting a pair of eyes on the goal line meant that every single call would be correct.

Link

Platini said Monday that if an official had been beside the goal that day, he would have spotted that Lampard's shot crossed the line.

"Of course, because it's his job to see if the ball is inside the line," Platini said.

Two days later, those words are coming back to haunt him.

You keep bringing up the offside, but I don't care about this play. I care about the one that happened to the Fire on Sunday (that seemed more obvious and was also blown) and the others we've seen in time. It keeps happening and we can stop it, so let's stop it. They've got all kinds of weird s*** in and on the balls, what's a chip to tell you when it crosses.