All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 12:18 AM)
ESPN was showing the laser pointers all over Howards chest as the "fans" were trying to shine it in his eyes during a free kick. Classy.

In the end the US wins. Good job.

Lasers in the eyes is the least of the worries for the players in Azteca.

Mexico dominated the game, but was pathetic in the final third. Hernandez finally got a couple got shots, but Howard made superman saves to keep the lead. Amazing result.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 07:41 PM)
Van Persie to Man U. Can't wait to hear the transfer fee on this, but Rooney and RVP together? Holy s***!

Judging by friends, Arsenal fans are in meltdown over this.

Edited by Joxer_Daly

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 12:18 AM)
ESPN was showing the laser pointers all over Howards chest as the "fans" were trying to shine it in his eyes during a free kick. Classy.

In the end the US wins. Good job.

You sound surprised. This is a stadium where the fans routinely throw piss on the opposing players.

I know it was just a friendly in a half-empty stadium, but that was still an awesome win. Hopefully it leads to them winning a WCQ down there sometime in the near future.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 07:18 AM)
You sound surprised. This is a stadium where the fans routinely throw piss on the opposing players.

I know it was just a friendly in a half-empty stadium, but that was still an awesome win. Hopefully it leads to them winning a WCQ down there sometime in the near future.

yep.. and ive seen fans there force themselves to puke in a bucket and then try tossing it at whichever American player is taking the corner kick. People that come to that stadium as a USA fan have major cojones. They might not try to kill each other like they do in select european stadiums, but these guys still make philadelphia sports look like an elton john concert.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
You guys think the Mexican fans are bad? Have you seen what happens in European and South American soccer stadiums?

Congrats on the win.

In Europe, matches are then abandoned & teams are forced to play without a home crowd. Not that CONCACAF would have the balls to do something like that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 09:07 AM)
In Europe, matches are then abandoned & teams are forced to play without a home crowd. Not that CONCACAF would have the balls to do something like that.

I agree with you, fans acting like douche bags is unneccesary, I'm just saying that overall Mexicans fans are hardly close to being the worst. US crowds are among the best, you hardly hear of any violence in sports stadiums (Philly fans and Raiders/Lakers fans being the exception :lolhitting ).

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
You guys think the Mexican fans are bad? Have you seen what happens in European and South American soccer stadiums?

Congrats on the win.

When it comes to the US playing in the Azteca, yes, they are atrocious.

That is also what we see and experience. We don't draw the animosity over in Europe or South America so the USMNT doesn't experience that.

Obviously, when matches are abandoned and people are killed like what happens in eastern europe, south america and africa, that is much worse.

The crowd control isn't the best in Mexico but I think it is even worse in Guatemala. That place is a disaster to play in.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 11:55 AM)
I agree with you, fans acting like douche bags is unneccesary, I'm just saying that overall Mexicans fans are hardly close to being the worst. US crowds are among the best, you hardly hear of any violence in sports stadiums (Philly fans and Raiders/Lakers fans being the exception :lolhitting ).

Don't forget about Dodgers fans in that group. <_>

It does put into perspective how tame US sporting events are. Which turns out to be a very good thing in the long run.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 12:26 PM)
Don't forget about Dodgers fans in that group. <_>

It does put into perspective how tame US sporting events are. Which turns out to be a very good thing in the long run.

The atmosphere in stadiums in the US also doesn't compare at all to the atmosphere in the rest of the world at pro sporting events. The OKC Thunder are the only pro team I can think of in the US that has an absolutely nutty atmosphere during the entirety of their games.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
The atmosphere in stadiums in the US also doesn't compare at all to the atmosphere in the rest of the world at pro sporting events. The OKC Thunder are the only pro team I can think of in the US that has an absolutely nutty atmosphere during the entirety of their games.

College sports.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)
When it comes to the US playing in the Azteca, yes, they are atrocious.

That is also what we see and experience. We don't draw the animosity over in Europe or South America so the USMNT doesn't experience that.

Obviously, when matches are abandoned and people are killed like what happens in eastern europe, south america and africa, that is much worse.

The crowd control isn't the best in Mexico but I think it is even worse in Guatemala. That place is a disaster to play in.

Well, that's understandable, Europe and SA don't feel a rivalry. Mexico's national past time is soccer and the only sport besides boxing where they can hang with their mighty gringo neighbors. I am not defending those rotten Mexican fans who do all that extra sports crap, I'm just saying that overall they aren't nearly as bad as other country's fans where fans of the other team have been beaten or killed.

BTW, Klinsmann thanked the Mexican Soccer Federation for the overall hospitality they recieved...we aren't all bad ;)

I also want to add that as a Mexican American, I root for the USA in every sport except soccer (only when it's against Mexico) and when it's a Mexican fighter vs an American fighter in boxing (except if it's against a fellow Mexican American) :usa Michael Orozco, a Mexican American scored the US goal so I guess it wasn't so bad. :D

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)
College sports.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)

• 2 weeks later...

Celtic got Barcelona, Benfica and Spartak Moscow. :headbang Gonna be tough as bejaysus, but hey, we're there.

Would love to make the trip to Moscow, but probably won't swing it. Seriously looking at doing the Barca and Benfica away trips. #havingapartyintheChampionsLeague e14427.gif

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
How are the Spanish champ (Real Madrid), the English champ (Man City), the German champ (Borussia Dortmund) and the Dutch champ (Ajax) in the same group. That's criminal. UEFA needs to sort this out better.

Yeah that was a joke that Dortmund was in Pot 4. And how Arsenal was placed into Pot 1 ahead of Man City was also absurd