All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)
As a Spurs fan who studied in Leicester in fall of 2010 (saw Spurs six times and the Foxes twice when they were in the Championship), this season is amazing.

This season's been great to watch from the outside looking in. I don't really have a horse in this race, I just want to see chaos. Leicester City winning the Prem would be the largest dose of chaos in decades. Hasn't it been 20 some odd years since someone outside the big 4 (+ Man City) have won the Premier League? Now there's 2 non big 4 teams at the top of the table, including one that was in the Championship not too long ago.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
This season's been great to watch from the outside looking in. I don't really have a horse in this race, I just want to see chaos. Leicester City winning the Prem would be the largest dose of chaos in decades. Hasn't it been 20 some odd years since someone outside the big 4 (+ Man City) have won the Premier League? Now there's 2 non big 4 teams at the top of the table, including one that was in the Championship not too long ago.

Blackburn Rovers won in 94-95, but they spent a lot of money and even broke the English record transfer fee for Alan Shearer. They had finished 2nd and 4th the past two seasons. So even that team was a big team at the time.

Leicester is a total underdog so you'd have to go further back to match it.

I don't have a rooting interest in the EPL, I just watch for entertainment, but damn do I root against Diego Costa. Everytime Chlesea is on, he complains and complains when another player touches him, yet he will always give cheap shots of his own. He's gotta be the dirtiest player, right?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 10:10 AM)
I don't have a rooting interest in the EPL, I just watch for entertainment, but damn do I root against Diego Costa. Everytime Chlesea is on, he complains and complains when another player touches him, yet he will always give cheap shots of his own. He's gotta be the dirtiest player, right?

Him and Suarez are a class of their own. I do agree that Costa might be the most loathsome player at the moment. Nigel de Jong could be counted as being in their class as well.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)
Him and Suarez are a class of their own. I do agree that Costa might be the most loathsome player at the moment. Nigel de Jong could be counted as being in their class as well.

Suarez has been on good behavior ever since the World Cup incident though.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 09:10 AM)

I completely agree about Costa. He is just really annoying on the field. Not to mention he looks like he's 45, not 27.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)
Suarez has been on good behavior ever since the World Cup incident though.

Always been a fan of Suarez despite his antics.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 07:27 AM)
Arsenal with a last second winner and Spurs with a late winner over City make this a lot more interesting now. This has been the best title chase since I started following English football

Did you miss the year Man City won on an extra time goal in the last match of the season?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 10:44 PM)
Did you miss the year Man City won on an extra time goal in the last match of the season?

I'm not sure how an exciting last match day deciding the fate of the two largest spending clubs who had been the only two contenders for months is the same thing, but ok.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 11:10 PM)
Maybe he wasn't following English soccer then lol

I was and had been.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 07:21 AM)
I'm not sure how an exciting last match day deciding the fate of the two largest spending clubs who had been the only two contenders for months is the same thing, but ok.

It's not the same thing, but it was definitely exciting. I love this Leicester team, both in strategy and the story. Watching them press so efficiently is a special thing to witness. They were driving Arsenal crazy before the red card. Arsenal was never comfortable on the ball.

Still, that Man City finish is truly unbelievable. Throw in the rivalry dynamic, that Man U was top of the table when they finished their match only to see Man City score after the United game was over and that Man City hadn't won a title in forever. The whole season of Leicester is better if they win, but that finish was truly remarkable.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 10:02 PM)
It's not the same thing, but it was definitely exciting. I love this Leicester team, both in strategy and the story. Watching them press so efficiently is a special thing to witness. They were driving Arsenal crazy before the red card. Arsenal was never comfortable on the ball.

Still, that Man City finish is truly unbelievable. Throw in the rivalry dynamic, that Man U was top of the table when they finished their match only to see Man City score after the United game was over and that Man City hadn't won a title in forever. The whole season of Leicester is better if they win, but that finish was truly remarkable.

I don't think you can top the finish to that season. What was funny was that QPR fans celebrated with City fans afterwards since they had just learned QPR would stay up in the BPL seconds before Aguero scored the winning goal.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 11:02 PM)

There will probably never be a finish like that again. I hate Man U so it was a great and exciting day. But it was a two team race for months. No surprises anywhere. Right now you have a legitimate 4 team race with a truly remarkable underdog, an "evil" new money big club and two teams that hate each other from the same London borough. It's a truly remarkable race right now. This is really fun for impartial fans and you can make a case for either of the 4 teams right now. It's great.

NBC must be loving this too. Just paid a boat load for EPL rights, a race like this should help attention in the states. And it's not even featuring 3 of the established fan bases around the world.

This Leicester team is a lot of fun to watch. I caught the end of the game today and they had me on the edge of my seat. It's too bad Morgan and Ulloa couldn't convert their two chances in front of goal. Tottenham can leap Leicester tomorrow with a win.

Better than the alternative. Probably helps our chances of getting the World Cup in 2026 as well.

US has to be a slam dunk for 2026. Asia and Europe probably don't even submit bids after hosting in 18 and 22. Can't see any potential African or South American country beating out the US. It's not out of the question that there isn't even formal competition for the US in 2026.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 07:50 PM)
US has to be a slam dunk for 2026. Asia and Europe probably don't even submit bids after hosting in 18 and 22. Can't see any potential African or South American country beating out the US. It's not out of the question that there isn't even formal competition for the US in 2026.

Asia can't bid (2022 - Qatar) and that includes Australia since they moved to the AFC 4 years ago. Under the old rules, Europe would not have been able to bid (Russia - 2018), but it appears they have changed the rule to only affect one cycle and not two now. Still, they don't appear to be favorites. Uruguay and Argentina are lining up a joint bid for 2030 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the first world cup (held in Uruguay). And Africa won't be getting it again for a while. Kenya wants to host but even they have acknowledged that is a goal for 20 years down the road. Outside of maybe Morocco, I can't see any other country capable of hosting this event right now. It really does seem that it is CONCACAF's "turn" (1994).

Mexico is probably out and Canada doesn't have a realistic chance outside of a joint bid with the US that used 1-2 Canadian cities with no automatic bid. With Infantino wanting to expand the World Cup to 40 teams, that means more games. With all the controversy surrounding the last 2 World Cups, plus the upcoming two World Cups in regards to spending, infrastructure, human rights etc, you'd think FIFA would take a safe bet. Also, a 40 team World Cup in the US in 10 years would basically make FIFA all of the money.

I think the schedule is going to look something like this:

2026 - USA

2030 - Uruguay/Argentina

2034 - England

2038 - Australia

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 04:05 PM)
This Leicester team is a lot of fun to watch. I caught the end of the game today and they had me on the edge of my seat. It's too bad Morgan and Ulloa couldn't convert their two chances in front of goal. Tottenham can leap Leicester tomorrow with a win.

A perfect day for Leicester today, wow.