All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 03:39 PM)
A perfect day for Leicester today, wow.

I can understand West Ham beating Spurs, but how the hell did Arsenal lose to a near-relegation zone Swansea team?

If Arsenal lose the North London derby next week, they're probably out of the race.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 08:34 AM)
First half was miserable. Not too worried, though. City and Arsenal dropped big points and I don't think any Spurs fans had three points written in for this fixture.

Yep, pathetic effort for Tottenham. They were clearly looking ahead to Arsenal. Going in, I felt they would leave Upton Park with a draw. They did not deserve a draw at all. Must play much better on Saturday. Cech has been ruled out so that's actually a big blow to Arsenal

Leicester escape with a 1-0 win against Watford. Mahrez got hurt about 70 minutes in. Hope it's nothing serious. 5 points up with 9 games left. Next week against Newcastle should be a win, but you never know.

Edited by chw42

Mahrez is basically Leicester's offense. He's their guy who can advance the ball when they're not countering. If teams decide to sit back and just let Leicester possess the ball (which Norwich and WBA did), they're nowhere near as effective even with Mahrez. Imagine them without him.

Edited by chw42

I'm excited for MLS starting up. Might not be as entertaining as the other leagues but I have zero emotional ties to those clubs so I don't really care who wins or loses.

So anyone else into MLS?

I used to be when 1) I lived in Chicago and could go to games and 2) The Fire were actually good, but neither of those things have been the case for quite a while now.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 10:14 AM)
I used to be when 1) I lived in Chicago and could go to games and 2) The Fire were actually good, but neither of those things have been the case for quite a while now.

Yep. I do watch the Galaxy and I do feel the overall league is in a better place, but Chicago has sucked hard for awhile now.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)
Tottenham give up a goal when Arsenal was down to 10 men. Could of been on top of the table. Unreal.

That was so disappointing. They were completely dominating at that point in the game and could have had 3 or 4 goals at that point and then out of nothing that happens. Wasn't the easiest of saves but Lloris probably wants that one back.

Leciester has to finish with West Ham, Swansea, Man Utd, Everton and Chelsea so that's a rough way to end the season. Up 5 points now though is gonna make it tough for Spurs to get them.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 07:07 PM)
I'm excited for MLS starting up. Might not be as entertaining as the other leagues but I have zero emotional ties to those clubs so I don't really care who wins or loses.

So anyone else into MLS?

I've moderately cared for the past few years but I plan on making more of an effort this season and this first weekend did not disappoint. Some great games, great finishes and great goals (f**undez, Higuain, Piatti). Definitely a good look for the league that's for sure.

I've never quite gotten into MLS--I've been a couple of times, and these days with all of the Fire games on TV it'd be easier, but it really just comes down to the fact that my summer months are so taken up by baseball, not to mention it's the meat of pro tennis season. Then there's also the international summer tournaments that I'm obviously going to prioritize over MLS--between the Euros AND Copa America (managed to get a hell of a deal on a venue pass for Soldier Field), I don't know how much attention I can pay to MLS this summer when it's third on the rung of soccer events, not to mention the other sports.

I am going to the Fire-Crew game in a couple of weeks, though. Looking forward to it.

Edited by 3GamesToLove

QUOTE (OnlyGillis @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 11:43 PM)
Nice job by the Fire to come away with a draw being down to 10 men for much of the game. Accam hit the post when they were short handed and the way he is playing, I would have expected him to score in the second half if they were 11 vs 11.

Pretty embarrassing by Orlando City. Hit the post twice but Molino was terrible out there. Getting Kaka back soon is really needed.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
Anyone see Okazaki's bicycle kick goal yesterday? Leicester's just coming up with crazy ways to win.

One of the guys I follow on Twitter was trying to compare Leicester winning the Premiership to an American "upset" championship and it's hard to compare. The Devil Rays were similar with how they beat the big money Red Sox & Yankees but they never won it all and the division was only 5 teams. Butler winning the basketball title could have matched it but winning a single elimination tournament is so much simpler than a full round robin like Leicester.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 10:26 PM)
One of the guys I follow on Twitter was trying to compare Leicester winning the Premiership to an American "upset" championship and it's hard to compare. The Devil Rays were similar with how they beat the big money Red Sox & Yankees but they never won it all and the division was only 5 teams. Butler winning the basketball title could have matched it but winning a single elimination tournament is so much simpler than a full round robin like Leicester.

The Rays winning a WS might be the closest thing.

Baseball doesn't have a salary cap, just like European soccer. So you get these huge discrepancies in talent and resources. But we don't have a relegation system like soccer. So you'll never get AA teams making their way up the ladder and winning a World Series or anything. It's very hard to compare.