All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)
WC qualifiers begin in Europe today and the next batch of CONCACAF games as well. US-Jamaica at 8PM tonight!

Ireland beat Kazakhstan with a miraculous comeback. PK in the 89th minute and a winner in stoppage time gave them a 2-1 victory

Too bad the US game isn't on half the cable systems out there, but I guess it's better than PPV like last time. A victory would be nice, although I believe they have drawn every previous qualifier in Kingston.

Poland ties their first match @ Montenegro. Can't complain about a road draw, but gonna have to win a few away from home to qualify.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
WC qualifiers begin in Europe today and the next batch of CONCACAF games as well. US-Jamaica at 8PM tonight!

Ireland beat Kazakhstan with a miraculous comeback. PK in the 89th minute and a winner in stoppage time gave them a 2-1 victory

That comeback keeps their slim hopes alive.

Sigh, not a devastating loss since the top 2 advance to the hex and that's when it really gets fun, but you hate to lose at Jamaica after leading early. Conceding two set piece goals is harsh on the US though. One was an unlucky deflection and one was a wonder goal the US couldn't do anything about.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 10:02 PM)
Very lackluster effort tonight. Just sloppy all around.

Missed Landon and Bradley big time. Glad I dont have to hear the Jamaican commentator anymore. And is beIn TV carrying the road games of the Hex too? If so, ugh.

I don't know if those have been bought and sold yet because the teams aren't finalized, but certainly the production quality was amateurish at times. The halftime show was embarrassing and the camera work was inconsistent. Why did it take so long for replays of the goals (or anything)?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 10:42 PM)
I don't know if those have been bought and sold yet because the teams aren't finalized, but certainly the production quality was amateurish at times. The halftime show was embarrassing and the camera work was inconsistent. Why did it take so long for replays of the goals (or anything)?

I believe the contract has been finalized, they will televise all away games except for Mexico.

Sucks to lose to Jamaica, but still in full control of their destiny, even if they tie Tuesday. For a second I thought, Guatemala may slip up at home to Antigua, but they are gonna win.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)
Sucks to lose to Jamaica, but still in full control of their destiny, even if they tie Tuesday. For a second I thought, Guatemala may slip up at home to Antigua, but they are gonna win.

Yeah, it's not all that devastating. I'd be far more concerned if the US dropped points at home and even then, like you said a draw isn't a big deal on Tuesday. That's defeatist in a way, but it's true. If you can't beat Guatemala at home and Antigua on the road you don't belong in the World Cup anyway. The two toughest fixtures of this round are over with and the US got one point out of those two matches. Now to get the job done.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 09:09 PM)
Probably deserved more than the 1-0 but its all about points right now. Get the win at Antigua and let Jamaica and Guatemala take points from one another.

Two of the easier (on paper) games remain, playing Guatemala at home and at Antigua. Hopefully they have Bradley and Donovan for those games and they won't be a big problem. It's amazing the difference Cherundolo made.

Also this: trollface.gif

Danny Williams at the defensive mid spot was fantastic as well. Johnson also was good pushing forward. Really liked what I saw out of Zusi as well. Dempsey actually played pretty poorly. Lots of his touches weren't crisp and he just looked rusty, which is not surprising.

I'm hoping Klinsmann substitutes Donovan and Bradley (assuming they are healthy) in for Zusi and Torres and see how that lineup fares. Win at A&B by at least a couple goals and that should do it.

• 2 weeks later...

2-0 win for Celtic today. Good to get back to winning ways after recent league under-performance.

Got a Champions League point on the board during the week also in what was actually not a bad game, despite the 0-0 scoreline. Injuries did't help though, plus lining out with something like ten CL rookies against last year's quarter finalists. Biggest downside was the total lack of scoring attempts created.

Got this picture taken in Dublin with a few of the troops before we started the journey over for the game:

Edit - Posting from my phone. Not sure if it came through in a mad size for the rest of you. Apologies if it needs to be resized, mods.

20120919075337.jpg

Edited by Joxer_Daly

• 3 weeks later...

A win's a win, but that was just an awful game to watch. The bar had various South American qualifiers on other TVs and it seemed like they were playing a completely different sport. Just get a tie on Tuesday and worry about improving next year. But man, Klinsman was a few minutes from possibly getting fired already.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 12, 2012 -> 11:00 PM)
A win's a win, but that was just an awful game to watch. The bar had various South American qualifiers on other TVs and it seemed like they were playing a completely different sport. Just get a tie on Tuesday and worry about improving next year. But man, Klinsman was a few minutes from possibly getting fired already.

The field was in horrible shape, the size of the playing area was smaller than normal and basically the entire Antigua team plays together on their USL team.

Wasnt a good performance at all but just take the 3 points and try to finish it off Tuesday. Then you have a few months to figure it out going into the Hex.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 12, 2012 -> 11:22 PM)
The field was in horrible shape, the size of the playing area was smaller than normal and basically the entire Antigua team plays together on their USL team.

Wasnt a good performance at all but just take the 3 points and try to finish it off Tuesday. Then you have a few months to figure it out going into the Hex.

The Hex has the potential to be US, Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Panama, & Honduras. Holy Central American road games there. It would be nice if Canada can manage a tie @ Honduras, Toronto is a bit friendlier place than Tegucigalpa is.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 13, 2012 -> 09:14 AM)
The Hex has the potential to be US, Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Panama, & Honduras. Holy Central American road games there. It would be nice if Canada can manage a tie @ Honduras, Toronto is a bit friendlier place than Tegucigalpa is.

Jamaica and Canada both have a good shot to get through. Not that Jamaica was a friendly place last time, but we could just as easily see two Central American teams. I'd consider that pretty low. There's been three Central American teams in the last two hexs so two would be an upgrade. I'd certainly much rather see Trinidad, Jamaica and Canada get their s*** together than deal with all those Central America road games, no question.