All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 09:57 PM)
Anyone watchinv Mexican fans be completely classless? Throwing stuff at Costa Ricans on three corner kicks. Hit the guy a couple times.

I honestly dont know what the CR player's problem was, usually those bottles are filled with piss.

He should be thankful...

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 12:17 AM)
US looked solid tonight. Given the remaining schedule the US should win the hex even if Mexico gets it together. US just needs to care of business at home to win the hex again.

A win next week and the US will be up 4-6pts on 4th place with 4 to play.

It would be really nice to have a berth wrapped up with 1-2 games left.

That was probably the best 90 minutes I've seen the national team play since the 2009 Confederations Cup semi vs Spain.

Michael Bradley is officially a world class player. And Jozy is playing himself (and AZ) into a pretty lucrative transfer deal this summer I believe. It will be interesting to see what JK does with Jones and Cameron. Cameron played a great game in the middle there alongside Bradley.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 08:05 AM)
That was probably the best 90 minutes I've seen the national team play since the 2009 Confederations Cup semi vs Spain.

Michael Bradley is officially a world class player. And Jozy is playing himself (and AZ) into a pretty lucrative transfer deal this summer I believe. It will be interesting to see what JK does with Jones and Cameron. Cameron played a great game in the middle there alongside Bradley.

Agreed with everything you just said.

Cameron's performance, I think, allows JK to be extra cautious with Jones coming off a concusion. I also think Fabian Johnson heads back to LB (the Beasley yellow late was the only blemish on an otherwise great performance) with Eddie Johnson getting the start at the left side against Honduras.

Jozy was just beastly last night. The turn where he was denied a penalty was spectacular. And Jozy and Dempsey finally appear to be on the same page. The backheel by Dempsey to Jozy freeing him for space to rocket one on net that led to Dempsey hitting the bar on the rebound was great stuff.

The US has really struggled to create chances in the JK era. They created them in spades last night. Credit Cameron and Bradley who owned the midfield. Keep the momentum going and get three more points next week in Utah (against a good Honduras side). 5 up on Mexico with 4 to go would be an absolute dream...

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 06:05 AM)

Great game. They truly controlled the whole game. Jozy playing like he should. I hope he continues to build on this. Bradley played fantastic! Still...it was a crappy squad...so they have to keep it up and continue to get better!

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 08:57 PM)
Anyone watchinv Mexican fans be completely classless? Throwing stuff at Costa Ricans on three corner kicks. Hit the guy a couple times.

Standard operating procedure at Azteca. It is pathetic that CONCACAF hasn't reprimanded or penalized Mexico for their fans behavior.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 06:48 PM)
It sure is going to be tough to go from these Confederations Cup matches to watching the US labor through a home match against a Central American team.

Long live CONCACAF Bunker Ball!

This Confederations Cup appears to be a waste of time for Spain. I cant imagine any team giving them the slightest of scares. I cant wait for the Tahiti vs Spain match haha.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 06:26 PM)
This Confederations Cup appears to be a waste of time for Spain. I cant imagine any team giving them the slightest of scares. I cant wait for the Tahiti vs Spain match haha.

Italy and Brazil could pose threats, but Spain should romp the group phase.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 06:26 PM)
Long live CONCACAF Bunker Ball!

If Spain doesn't put up double digits, it will be an upset.

I like how I'm sitting at this hotel in South Florida and when I turn to ESPN to watch the game, FSN Florida is in its place to show the Marlins game. Of course ESPN2 is up and running and showing some college world series game.

Love how the hotel decided to get rid of ESPN instead of ESPN2. And I cant watch it on ESPN3 b/c its blacked out since I'm in an ESPN market. unbelievable...

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 09:39 PM)
I like how I'm sitting at this hotel in South Florida and when I turn to ESPN to watch the game, FSN Florida is in its place to show the Marlins game. Of course ESPN2 is up and running and showing some college world series game.

Love how the hotel decided to get rid of ESPN instead of ESPN2. And I cant watch it on ESPN3 b/c its blacked out since I'm in an ESPN market. unbelievable...

You didn't miss much. The US dominated possession, but didn't create much and when they did couldn't finish. Then they finished one.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 06:54 AM)
Next matchday is September 6. If the US beats Costa Rica and Mexico/Honduras tie, the US is qualified with three games to spare.

The US never plays well in Costa Rica and they are playing the game at that hellhole Saprissa, so doubtful US qualifies then, but it's nice to have them in such a good position already.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 07:54 AM)
Next matchday is September 6. If the US beats Costa Rica and Mexico/Honduras tie, the US is qualified with three games to spare.

Qualifying before the last set of match days would be huge so we can send some younger players (Boyd, Shea, Corona etc) to Panama

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 08:09 AM)
The US never plays well in Costa Rica and they are playing the game at that hellhole Saprissa, so doubtful US qualifies then, but it's nice to have them in such a good position already.

This.

With two of the most difficult matches ahead in the next set of qualifiers, it is very nice for the US to be sitting 5 points clear of third and six clear of 4th. Get any points in the next set (@Costa Rica, home Mexico), and they will still be in great shape as far as qualifying goes.

Jozy Altidore with just a beastly June. Will be interesting to see what happens with his club career because, between his club form (31 goals this year), his recent international form (4 goals in 4 games), and his age (23), there will be a lot of clubs with interest. Hopefully he lands in a good spot because there is not much (any) depth behind him at striker as of today, and the year before a World Cup is not an ideal time for Jozy to be trying to find playing time somewhere...

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 09:09 AM)

Costa Rica did not get approval to use it so the match will be played at their new national stadium, so that's a definite plus for the US

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 09:52 AM)
This.

With two of the most difficult matches ahead in the next set of qualifiers, it is very nice for the US to be sitting 5 points clear of third and six clear of 4th. Get any points in the next set (@Costa Rica, home Mexico), and they will still be in great shape as far as qualifying goes.

Jozy Altidore with just a beastly June. Will be interesting to see what happens with his club career because, between his club form (31 goals this year), his recent international form (4 goals in 4 games), and his age (23), there will be a lot of clubs with interest. Hopefully he lands in a good spot because there is not much (any) depth behind him at striker as of today, and the year before a World Cup is not an ideal time for Jozy to be trying to find playing time somewhere...

Jozy is in for a big move this summer and this past month did nothing but help that. I've read that several EPL teams are interested and have also heard rumors about Schalke, Fiorentina and Lazio. Wherever he goes, hopefully he earns a spot in the first XI. We need him playing on a regular basis

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 09:33 AM)
Costa Rica did not get approval to use it so the match will be played at their new national stadium, so that's a definite plus for the US

Nice. I'm sure they wanted to play there as payback for the snow game.

That was one crazy game last night between Japan and Italy. Some very nice goals, 2 bs penalty calls, and an own goal. Japan looked really good. Italy pulls out the win despite looking a bit tired.