All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

The fake bomb at Old Trafford was actually left there by a security company that had a training session there a few days. That's ridiculous. (Of course it was the right move to evacuate)

Quite the late season fade by Tottenham. They still get the Champions League bid, but fans can't be happy about getting past by Arsenal.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 15, 2016 -> 08:56 PM)
Quite the late season fade by Tottenham. They still get the Champions League bid, but fans can't be happy about getting past by Arsenal.

:( :crying :angry:

I'm not crying...you're crying...

Trying to figure out if a summer full of soccer with the Euros and Copa America will make the end of the season easier or tougher to swallow.

Edited by 3GamesToLove

QUOTE (bmags @ May 16, 2016 -> 11:23 AM)
Was watching Bundesliga on Saturday, which I never really find time for. Was interesting watching the shock of Stuttgart falling to relegation.

Yeah that was sad for me. We lived there for a few years growing up when my dad was sent there on business. Always had a soft spot for them.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ May 25, 2016 -> 02:14 PM)
International tournament season!

Anyone going to the Copa America? Due to a StubHub listing error I was able to get venue passes (tickets to all four matches at Soldier Field) for a fraction of the price. I'm pretty pumped.

I'm going to the USA-Paraguay match in Philadelphia. Super excited!

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 25, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
I'm going to the USA-Paraguay match in Philadelphia. Super excited!

That could be a pretty critical match!

I've never seen the USMNT in person. I've followed them since early '09 and was SO excited when it was announced they'd play Honduras in a WCQ at Soldier Field that summer...until I learned my cousin was getting married in Kansas that day. Then I was in England when they played the friendly against Poland, and was never brave enough to pull the trigger for any of the Gold Cup semis or finals here. This'll be awesome, though. If anything, better than a WCQ. Should be a hard-fought match with Costa Rica, too.

I'm also lucky enough to get to see Messi and Argentina, plus a semifinal........and Jamaica/Venezuela.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ May 25, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)
That could be a pretty critical match!

I've never seen the USMNT in person. I've followed them since early '09 and was SO excited when it was announced they'd play Honduras in a WCQ at Soldier Field that summer...until I learned my cousin was getting married in Kansas that day. Then I was in England when they played the friendly against Poland, and was never brave enough to pull the trigger for any of the Gold Cup semis or finals here. This'll be awesome, though. If anything, better than a WCQ. Should be a hard-fought match with Costa Rica, too.

I'm also lucky enough to get to see Messi and Argentina, plus a semifinal........and Jamaica/Venezuela.

You might want to skip that one. That has dud written all over it :lol:

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 25, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)
I'm thinking about visiting Chicago in July to catch a USMNT game during Copa America. Not sure how sold out that'll be.

The tournament ends in June so I hope you're not hoping to see them play Copa games in July.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 25, 2016 -> 04:47 PM)
The tournament ends in June so I hope you're not hoping to see them play Copa games in July.

lol s*** for whatever reason I thought it was July 3rd as opposed to June 3rd.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ May 25, 2016 -> 01:14 PM)
International tournament season!

Anyone going to the Copa America? Due to a StubHub listing error I was able to get venue passes (tickets to all four matches at Soldier Field) for a fraction of the price. I'm pretty pumped.

I'm going to the U.S. v. Costa Rica game on 6/7 in the Outlaw section.

There was some drama late in the game but overall it seemed kind of boring today. It doesn't help that Fox's soccer coverage pales in comparison to NBC, makes me really appreciate their EPL work. Of course Ronaldo was invisible all game but scored the game winning PK.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 28, 2016 -> 10:19 PM)
There was some drama late in the game but overall it seemed kind of boring today. It doesn't help that Fox's soccer coverage pales in comparison to NBC, makes me really appreciate their EPL work. Of course Ronaldo was invisible all game but scored the game winning PK.

People's on Ronaldo's dick for scoring a penalty...sigh. Atletico made him invisible tonight.

I really don't like Atletico, but it really does suck they've gotten beat twice in extra time the past 3 years.

As far as TV coverage of the sport in the US goes...

NBC>ESPN>>>>>>>>>>>FOX

ESPN's handling of the World Cup in '10 and '14 was masterful, as is its handling of the Euros (they didn't do a bad job with their PL coverage when they had a match a week back in the day later, being the first PL broadcaster in the US to send their own teams to cover the matches on site). Clearly NBC learned a lot from them, inclulding poaching Rebecca Lowe off their Euro '12 coverage.

FOX really does lag behind and it's disappointing to see that they'll have the next THREE World Cups. They have improved, however. Their FA Cup and CL coverage is better than it once was. I didn't really see any of their Women's World Cup coverage last year but heard it was a step forward for them. We'll have to see how they do this summer with Copa America. Thank God ESPN still has the Euros. (I think they already sealed 2020 as well)

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ May 31, 2016 -> 07:29 AM)
As far as TV coverage of the sport in the US goes...

NBC>ESPN>>>>>>>>>>>FOX

ESPN's handling of the World Cup in '10 and '14 was masterful, as is its handling of the Euros (they didn't do a bad job with their PL coverage when they had a match a week back in the day later, being the first PL broadcaster in the US to send their own teams to cover the matches on site). Clearly NBC learned a lot from them, inclulding poaching Rebecca Lowe off their Euro '12 coverage.

FOX really does lag behind and it's disappointing to see that they'll have the next THREE World Cups. They have improved, however. Their FA Cup and CL coverage is better than it once was. I didn't really see any of their Women's World Cup coverage last year but heard it was a step forward for them. We'll have to see how they do this summer with Copa America. Thank God ESPN still has the Euros. (I think they already sealed 2020 as well)

I actually think Fox did really well with the Women's World Cup so I'm hopeful it will get better. You're right though. They do lag behind the other two networks in terms of soccer coverage. Their Bundesliga and Champions League coverage is only OK and their streaming support is well behind the other two.

Second half was god awful for the most part. Dempsey with a couple of good attempts on goal, but that was it. Seemed like Pulisic had no chemistry with some of the other forwards on the team as well. Really poor showing.

5th year of the Jurgen era and this team couldnt produce one legit scoring threat from the run of play. Two best chances were the Dempsey free kick and Cameron's header off the corner.

This team showed nothing going forward for the first hour of this match. I dont think they were run off the field by any means but there was never a point during the game where I thought this team had a chance.

And FOX Sports is a joke. First, the audio from the commentators was ahead of the video on the first Colombian goal. And how can FOX have Friedel in the booth? He was terrible when it came to observations. I couldnt believe how he thought that wasnt a handball on Yedlin and how well he thought this team played for the most part. Then I go online and I'm reminded that Friedel is currently the U19 US head coach. Talk about a conflict of interest when Jurgen is his boss. What a joke.