All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

Even down 2-0 Italy did have a few chances, once they went down a man that was the end.

Spain is really good, but 2014 will be tough. Spain could have some challenge from Argentina and Brazil, who are more comfortable with possession style of play. La Liga ruling over EPL, etc right now.

Surprised Italy played more open against Spain than they did against Germany. After Spain got the opener, it seemed like Italy got away from their style and pushed up more. I know Spain sat back more after getting the first but they burned Italy on the counter for the second goal and that was the nail in the coffin.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
Even down 2-0 Italy did have a few chances, once they went down a man that was the end.

Spain is really good, but 2014 will be tough. Spain could have some challenge from Argentina and Brazil, who are more comfortable with possession style of play. La Liga ruling over EPL, etc right now.

Germany/Spain would have been a much better final IMO.

One thing to remember about 2014, a European team has never won a World Cup played in the Americas.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a momentous day for Scottish football today.

Bullying attempts by the footballing authorities to shoe-horn Sevco (the newco zombie club that is attempting to replace the failed club that was Rangers) into the Scottish First Division, following their rejection by the Scottish Premier League last week, have failed following a vote at Hampden Park today by SFL chairmen. An overwhelming 25 voted to send them down to the Third Division.

Ha! G.I.R.F.U.T.* :D

*(Get It Right F***ing Up Them)

You Celtic fans can have a laugh at Rangers' expense, but to be honest this is a terrible thing for Scottish football, Celtic included. The state of the sport in that country already wasn't pretty, but this really hurts it. You think Celtic is going to be a destination for any sort of attractive players without the Old Firm derby 5+ times a year?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 10:01 PM)
You Celtic fans can have a laugh at Rangers' expense, but to be honest this is a terrible thing for Scottish football, Celtic included. The state of the sport in that country already wasn't pretty, but this really hurts it. You think Celtic is going to be a destination for any sort of attractive players without the Old Firm derby 5+ times a year?

I agree. The Scottish Premier League is as relevant as the Ireland Premier Division.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 03:01 AM)

Not so sure about that. That's certainly the line being taken in media circles, but the opportunity to play in European competitions would be Celtic's main pitch rather than games against the cheats. This presents an opportunity to re-energise Scottish football, with the clear opportunity to claim a place in European competition, as well as winning Cups, stimulating other clubs and supporters alike, increased competitiveness leading to increased attendances (in time I do believe that credible League challengers will emerge). And, it won't take too much of an attendance increase for clubs to cover the loss of playing Rangers twice a season.

The financial implications of parachuting Newco back into the Premier League would've seen mass supporter disillusionment (and boycotting) at the game being skewed so much to suit the club that had done so much damage already, not to mention the anger at sporting integrity being rode roughshod over to such an extent.

The road ahead is certainly unchartered and challenging, but the nearly unanimous voice of football supporters in Scotland felt it was more promising than throwing out the rule book to facilitate those that have done so much damage to the game already.

Your analysis may end up being correct, but I'd rather give it a proper shot.

I'm not saying the SPL clubs should have let them remain in the league, but I think the SPL got knocked down a peg the second Rangers got liquidated. We've already seen the piss poor European showing of both clubs in recent years so I think the view of the SPL isn't going to change. I don't see Motherwell striking fear into many UCL sides.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
I'm not saying the SPL clubs should have let them remain in the league, but I think the SPL got knocked down a peg the second Rangers got liquidated.

Yeah, I certainly appreciate that the rivalry will be missed from an entertainment selling point, but I also see potential for the game to improve.

Whatever way it turns out, I don't think we'll see any Champions League winners from Scotland any time soon. :)

In any event, I won't miss being on the receiving end of their bigotry and hate.

• 2 weeks later...

European action tonight in Celtic Park. Celtic vs. HJK Helsinki in a Champions League qualifier.

Can't wait for it. Was supposed to travel over for the game, but the transport for part of the journey fell through. :crying Just finishing up work now to meet up with a few fellow Celts to watch it.

Here's hoping for a good result.

More European action tonight.

Celtic take a 2-1 lead to Helsinki. Nervous that having conceded the silly away goal may prove costly and it's a pity that we couldn't capitalise more on our dominance last week to score more goals, but fingers crossed.

C'mon the Hoops! :headbang

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
Celtic drew Helsingborgs, of Sweden, for the next Champions League qualifier.

Two of Henrik Larsson's clubs to do battle - hopefully we can emerge victorious.

That's gonna be a good matchup.

For American fans, Alejandro Bedoya is close to a transfer to HIF so there's that element to it as well

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
That's gonna be a good matchup.

For American fans, Alejandro Bedoya is close to a transfer to HIF so there's that element to it as well

I'm just wondering when Bocanegra is going to get out of Rangers. He's suited up in both of their cup games against low division sides.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)
Celtic drew Helsingborgs, of Sweden, for the next Champions League qualifier.

Two of Henrik Larsson's clubs to do battle - hopefully we can emerge victorious.

Helsingborg, huh? I have close family living there, so I have to root for them!

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 06:14 PM)
Helsingborg, huh? I have close family living there, so I have to root for them!

You don't really have to! ;-)

How close? Have they ever made you eat Surstromming? If not, you should demand that they do.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 06:47 PM)
You don't really have to! ;-)

How close? Have they ever made you eat Surstromming? If not, you should demand that they do.

My dad's brother and his family, so very close, but I haven't made out there in over 10 years.

I have never tried Surstromming. I actually eat herring from time to time (since I'm Polish), but that stuff lookes pretty nasty. Especially this quote from Wikipedia; "A Japanese study has shown that the smell of a newly opened can of surströmming is the most putrid smell of food in the world, beating similar fermented fish dishes such as the Korean Hongeohoe or Japanese Kusaya"

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 04:06 PM)
My dad's brother and his family, so very close, but I haven't made out there in over 10 years.

I have never tried Surstromming. I actually eat herring from time to time (since I'm Polish), but that stuff lookes pretty nasty. Especially this quote from Wikipedia; "A Japanese study has shown that the smell of a newly opened can of surströmming is the most putrid smell of food in the world, beating similar fermented fish dishes such as the Korean Hongeohoe or Japanese Kusaya"

Myself and a pal from Finland tried some earlier this year, as documented here:

It was really foul, but not as puke-inducing as I had hoped. Unfortunately, the cameragirl didn't film the 'drinking the liquid from the can' part. It was a very funny evening, though.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)
Myself and a pal from Finland tried some earlier this year, as documented here:

It was really foul, but not as puke-inducing as I had hoped. Unfortunately, the cameragirl didn't film the 'drinking the liquid from the can' part. It was a very funny evening, though.

awesome video, im interested in picking up a can of that now.