Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)
You should be, you couldnt even support your viewpoint with his quotes in your black and white world. Judgmental internet saints like you are generally very different in real life, I hope for your sake you are as saintly as you expect your pro athletes to be.

Take it sleazy, Rock. I'm not wasting my time sifting through articles and looking for quotes to support a subjective argument. Anything I came up with would be overlooked or twisted anyway.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 12:33 AM)
Just want to add, according to multiple reports, after Marlins made the insane offer... Mark and agent contacted the Sox one more time to give them a chance to make a contending bid. KW said thanks, can't do it, good luck.

Did I miss something on the offer? Insane for what reason? MLB reports was that it was simply a small raise over what he was already getting from the Sox and for four more years. Did we think he was going cheaper? Maybe folks were convinced his skill level was diminshing and so that makes it insane? Apparently a lot of team didn't see it that way. Not criticizing your commenst here just trying to wrap my head around the reason we didn't seem to want to keep MB.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:33 PM)
Just want to add, according to multiple reports, after Marlins made the insane offer... Mark and agent contacted the Sox one more time to give them a chance to make a contending bid. KW said thanks, can't do it, good luck.

If the reports are true, thats nice of that damn Hypocrite. Maybe he kept his word to give the sox the last chance. I am happy Mark is going to an exciting contending team and being paid for it. Unlike what we have here.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:37 PM)
Take it sleazy, Rock. I'm not wasting my time sifting through articles and looking for quotes to support a subjective argument. Anything I came up with would be overlooked or twisted anyway.

Blah blah blah. Enjoy your ivory tower bro. You can twist his words all you want to paint the guy in a bad light, he's twice the man you are.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:34 PM)
And I won't say we don't have or not have the money. I don't know, but I really think we do and wouldn't have made the commitments we did last year and before in salary if we didn't. I understand your argument it's just that I am not sold on it

Why arent you sold? The proof is right in front of your face. The Sox went all in with the expectations of winning, and therefore making a lot of money. They did the complete opposite on both ends. Therefore, they are tearing down because A: players like Buehrle, who were part of the ALL IN process, needed more money. That money was not made last season, so he can not be paid the money he was being offered by other teams, and B: after watching the product on the field, management realized this was not going to work.

I know you love your "keep all the great players and deal all the bad players" motto, but it really is totally unrealistic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 12:36 AM)
maybe this will sell you.

owners make money by selling tickets.

fans buy tickets.

when teams suck, there are no fans.

no fans, means no tickets sold.

no tickets sold means no money for owners.

no money for owners means no opening up wallet to INCREASE payroll.

NOT. EVER. GOING. TO. HAPPEN.

OK, that's argument. Fair enough. But, let's just hope we don't keep sucking. Agreed?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
maybe this will sell you.

owners make money by selling tickets.

fans buy tickets.

when teams suck, there are no fans.

no fans, means no tickets sold.

no tickets sold means no money for owners.

no money for owners means no opening up wallet to INCREASE payroll.

NOT. EVER. GOING. TO. HAPPEN.

Let it go. He doesn't understand a single aspect of the business side of sports.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:37 PM)
Did I miss something on the offer? Insane for what reason? MLB reports was that it was simply a small raise over what he was already getting from the Sox and for four more years. Did we think he was going cheaper? Maybe folks were convinced his skill level was diminshing and so that makes it insane? Apparently a lot of team didn't see it that way. Not criticizing your commenst here just trying to wrap my head around the reason we didn't seem to want to keep MB.

we didn't have that much money and he's not WORTH that much money. There's no way a 33 year old pitcher is worth MORE for the same number of years as a 29 year old pitcher. End of story! How do you not understand this stuff?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 12:39 AM)
Let it go. He doesn't understand a single aspect of the business side of sports.

Sure thing. Maybe the other side of business is if you put out the resources to field a competitive team they will come and you will suceed and make money? Don't and they won't and you won't. There are always two ways to look at things. An in some cases more :lolhitting

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:39 PM)
OK, that's argument. Fair enough. But, let's just hope we don't keep sucking. Agreed?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:39 PM)

Asshole

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:37 PM)

Man, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm not sure which team you're following sometimes. JR bankrolled this $127m team because he wanted to win. There's no way he didn't lose a ton of money last year, and there's absolutely no reason to believe now that this team will win as constructed. Why would he lose more of his money on a losing team? We should be grateful he's willing to lose money to take a chance in the first place. You can't just keep adding big money to bad teams.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:41 PM)
Sure thing. Maybe the other side of business is if you put out the resources to field a competitive team they will come and you will suceed and make money? Don't and they won't and you won't. There are always two ways to look at things. An in some cases more :lolhitting

Sure, its so simple. Field a great team. Why didnt KW think of that?!?!

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:41 PM)

Oh my goodness. I surrender. I'm not responding to you anymore.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:42 PM)
Man, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm not sure which team you're following sometimes. JR bankrolled this $127m team because he wanted to win. There's no way he didn't lose a ton of money last year, and there's absolutely no reason to believe now that this team will win as constructed. Why would he lose more of his money on a losing team? We should be grateful he's willing to lose money to take a chance in the first place. You can't just keep adding big money to bad teams.

It's entirely possible that the team broke even last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:46 PM)

Well, we'll never know. But JR was quoted before the season that his budget each year is to break even. If he increased payroll by $20m+ and attendance was significantly down, I'd be willing to bet he lost a bunch of money.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:46 PM)

I wont believe that until it is proven to me. You could hear people in the outfield talking over the telecast from august through the end of the season