Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:02 PM)
But if the man takes the biggest contract (going against his statements of having enough money) for the most years (going against his wishes to retire early) in a city much further away (going against his desires to be close to his home), then the man is a hypocrite.

Lot of fluff there outside of this. Once again, where are the offers close to home?

FYI, he cant take something ridiculously low because he is part of a union. Can he take something under market value to stay close to home? Probably. Are there offers out there from those teams? Nope.

Edited by RockRaines

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
Lot of fluff there outside of this. Once again, where are the offers close to home?

I find it hard to believe that the Sox haven't at least said, "Here's our best offer...we can't do anything else." I would imagine that might have been done a while back, too. Maybe the Sox, KC, and other teams in the midwest haven't made offers, but that surprises me.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
I find it hard to believe that the Sox haven't at least said, "Here's our best offer...we can't do anything else." I would imagine that might have been done a while back, too. Maybe the Sox, KC, and other teams in the midwest haven't made offers, but that surprises me.

They offered him 1 year 14 million or whatever the number was.

I think it became clear as of yesterday that he's out of their plans, so no offers. Personally I was hoping St Louis would jump in with any offer so he could go there and retire happy instead of being forced to move somewhere else.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)

Why insult the guy if you can't come close? I know that was the think that pissed me off most about the Ventura negotiations, when he signed with the MEts.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)

FYI, he cant take something ridiculously low because he is part of a union. Can he take something under market value to stay close to home? Probably. Are there offers out there from those teams? Nope.

Then he can retire, which is something he so craves, instead of having to play so far away from home, which seems to have been the bane of his existence.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)
I see the inevitable has begun. A hearsay-hearsay rumor published by a guy we all know to hate KW, says supposedly a guy told a guy that the Sox won't match an offer. This was taken as bible (when it probably isn't even true), and then we've somehow also preternaturally seen that Mark will sign for the most money with some distant team. And that in turn has become, he's obviously an asshole who only cares about money.

Seriously, some of you guys are like paranoid girlfriends. Maybe we should... I don't know... wait to see what actually happens? Instead of going down this road based on friggin Cowley's double-hearsay rumor?

:notworthy

When was the last time Mark spoke with other teams about playing there? So he gets out away from Chicago, starts hearing what is available and makes a new decision based on this new knowledge. Happens all the time with people.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
And allow me to clarify. I won't be angry when he signs elsewhere (unless it's the Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs, which is true for any player). But he WILL be a hypocrite.

Unless he retires or takes a free non-existent contract close to home.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:20 PM)
They offered him 1 year 14 million or whatever the number was.

I think it became clear as of yesterday that he's out of their plans, so no offers. Personally I was hoping St Louis would jump in with any offer so he could go there and retire happy instead of being forced to move somewhere else.

This is the most depressing post I've ever seen because it'sfrom Rock.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
Then he can retire, which is something he so craves, instead of having to play so far away from home, which seems to have been the bane of his existence.

This.

I'll always love Mark Buehrle, but I will despise the sight of him for a few years.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:36 PM)

This.

I'll always love Mark Buehrle, but I will despise the sight of him for a few years.

Mark Buehrle loves the White Sox, and made it clear thats where he wanted to play. The White Sox decided he wasnt in their plans. I dont know how I can hate a guy for actually going somewhere where he is wanted and valued.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
And allow me to clarify. I won't be angry when he signs elsewhere (unless it's the Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs, which is true for any player). But he WILL be a hypocrite.

Not even close. Ever walk into a store epecting to buy one thing and come out with something different? He didn't have all the facts before. Easy to understand priorities changing.

This.

I am sure the 1yr offer is for Arbitration..

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:37 PM)
Mark Buehrle loves the White Sox, and made it clear thats where he wanted to play. The White Sox decided he wasnt in their plans. I dont know how I can hate a guy for actually going somewhere where he is wanted and valued.

This.

People are really going to be upset at Mark for going elsewhere? Especially if he doesn't have the option to return here at anything remotely close to market value? All this dumbfounded vitriol I'm reading should be spat at a combination of Kenny/Dunn/Rios/Peavy for creating a situation where bringing Mark back isn't an option.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:43 PM)
This.

People are really going to be upset at Mark for going elsewhere? Especially if he doesn't have the option to return here at anything remotely close to market value? All this dumbfounded vitriol I'm reading should be spat at a combination of Kenny/Dunn/Rios/Peavy for creating a situation where bringing Mark back isn't an option.

I don't see many people being upset, let alone vitriol towards him. And $14 million isn't anywhere near market value?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:49 PM)
I don't see many people being upset, let alone vitriol towards him. And $14 million isn't anywhere near market value?

He's earned much more than 1 year. I also don't buy all this retirement talk he throws out there.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
For a guy that loves to consider retirement every other month, it should be perfect.

But not market value, just so we are clear.

And I was doing some research for you since many have asked for links to quotes and you havent provided any of them.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2009-02...ily-guy-missing

Its stories like this that make me think less of Mark....

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-09...nt-mark-buehrle

Guy sounds like he really doesnt care about staying with the Sox.

http://blog.prorumors.com/2011/03/rumors/m...ent-after-2011/

Edited by RockRaines