Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 02:26 PM)
I truly think Jerry's been burned by the buck so often under Kenny, he's now just salivating over getting the payroll back down to pennies.

Sox aren't in position anymore to win anything of significance so why not save tons of money?

I'd be shocked if Paulie wasn't dealt. I can't believe AJ is still around.

Who exactly is interested in trading for AJ? There's no market for him, he is staying

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
Lot of fluff there outside of this. Once again, where are the offers close to home?

FYI, he cant take something ridiculously low because he is part of a union. Can he take something under market value to stay close to home? Probably. Are there offers out there from those teams? Nope.

Kerry Wood signed $1.5 million to stay in Chicago last season, when he could have gotten at least $10 mil in a multi-year deal from the Yanks or someone else.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
Kerry Wood signed $1.5 million to stay in Chicago last season, when he could have gotten at least $10 mil in a multi-year deal from the Yanks or someone else.

I dont recall anyone offering him 10 million dollars last season. Mark is one of the two top FA pitchers on the marketplace, he cant go and sign for league min somewhere.

Unless you can point to a specific rule in the Union Agreement, I really believe Mark can sign for any amount of money, provided that there is no collusion or Mark is not getting some sort of non-salary benefit that makes up for his lack of salary.

If I refuse to play in NY the Union cant make me play there, even if NY offers 100x more than Chicago. I think you are referring to the fact that a player who is being traded cant renegotiate his salary lower after being traded. And that is because the contract has already been signed and the Union wants to make sure that there is no precedent for players being traded and then giving discounts. I believe this was A-Rod to the Red Sox.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
I dont recall anyone offering him 10 million dollars last season. Mark is one of the two top FA pitchers on the marketplace, he cant go and sign for league min somewhere.

He was very adamant about staying in Chicago, so the only other official offer out there was for $3.5 million from the White Sox. But he pitched well in New York, and there were reports that he turned down multi-year deals from them & the BoSox among others. Considering what other relievers signed for, over $10 mil for 2 seasons was market value at the least.

Why do I have the strangest feeling that because the Sox are quiet on this front, Buehrle pulls a complete U-e and re-signs with us? It's when KW is the most quiet on a situation is when he does the most damage. Granted KW denied a Buehrle return, but we all know in KW's language it means "We want him back, and will exhaust all values to re-sign him."