Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
So why didnt they at least offer him something. Or how about keeping in touch with him during the process. Sorry, this isnt the case of the player leaving when he could have stayed. The White Sox didnt even try.

Sounds like they are rebuilding like they said they were. A rebuild that is quite necessary. Just like they don't need a good closer in Santos if they won't be contending, they also don't need to spend money on a front of the line LHP either.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:39 PM)
Sounds like they are rebuilding like they said they were. A rebuild that is quite necessary. Just like they don't need a good closer in Santos if they won't be contending, they also don't need to spend money on a front of the line LHP either.

Very very true. I just wish part of the rebuild was hiring a new GM

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:18 PM)
Just woke up. Had a text message.

f*** Buehrle and f*** the Marlins.

"I want to retire a Cardinal or a White Sock and play close to home."

My ass.

I love him, but man...screw you Mark.

I won't ever believe another player again when they "aren't in it for the money."

Except Paul Konerko. That man means it.

So Mark Buehrle becomes a free agent, and neither of those two teams makes him an offer, so now he's a bad guy, huh?

Genius. Mark can still retire in either spot. He's 16 years younger than Jamie Joyed, btw.

I repeat. Neighed the White Sox nor the Cardinals offered him a contract. To keep your respect, he has to retire?

I think the vitriol is a bit harsh in here, but I guess the day Mark leaves would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

I don't see this rebuild being as daunting as many of you think...have you seen the production we've been getting out of some of the pieces we're talking about moving? It's not as though that kind of production is impossible to replace. I've felt like the last 2-3 years the White Sox have been heavy on name players and light on production.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 01:00 AM)
When was the last time Jerry Reinsdorf "went cheap"?

please, please, please answer this question.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 01:08 AM)
Greg, about 20 minutes ago, Dan Bernstein commented on his radio show here in Chicago (a show that usually has the most critical listeners) that he was shocked at how little the Sox fans cared about Buehrle leaving.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 01:13 AM)
I'm now officially an ex-season ticketholder. I don't like rebuilding, and the rebuilder is a clown. As for Buerhle being a hypocrite, I don't think that's right. Being a free agent and talking to other teams, he was exposed to things he wasn't exposed to before. Opinions can change, and $58 million is $58 million to do something you love doing.

IMO KW is rebuilding to give himself more time. They won't fire him if the team sucks for a while. Its imperative he hits a home run in at least a couple of these deals, but I have zero confidence. He's a bulls***er. Even his talk about "interviewing" Robin while he was playing for a manager job was sickening. If he truly did that, how come JR was one of the last to know? I hope he doesn't sit in his chair too much longer. Having him re-build is very dangerous.

1.) I credit Jerry for having a very nice payroll the last several years. What I'm trying to say (poorly) is I feel (I could be wrong) that at this stage of Jerry's life, with it painfully obvious the team is not going to contend, it is easy for Jerry to revert to his old ways (prior to the Ozzie era) when the Sox were known as a lower payroll team. I feel it's easy for a rich guy like Jerry to say to himself, 'f*** it, we suck anyway, let's just strip the payroll to nothing and do a rebuild.'

I should give up, cause I know I'm not explaining it correctly. I will say I'll be stunned if Paulie and AJ are on the team next season.

2.) Well I respect you hearing that. I care.

3.) Dick Allen, I love your posts and it's very very telling that a season ticket holder like yourself is bailing. I think the Cell will be a morgue this season.

I've pretty much backed Williams and like how he is usually willing to take risks to try and win. But he has this team a mess right now. He's obvioulsy asking for way too much in trades for his pitchers and then doesn't even try to keep Buerhle. My two points of contention are why does anyone care whether or not JR makes money? As long as the Sox put a good team on the field and can win, I could care less what the payroll is. Secondly, alot say they wouldn't sign him for that amount of money. Why not? That's what the market price was for him. He's only 32 and is going to give 200+ innings and 13-18 wins every year. Didn't he just have a long streak of quality starts snapped late last year? Plus, he's great in the clubhouse. For some reason, I think if he was strikeout pitcher who threw 95 mph, with the exact same stats and situation, alot more people would be pissed.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:50 PM)
I think the vitriol is a bit harsh in here, but I guess the day Mark leaves would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

I don't see this rebuild being as daunting as many of you think...have you seen the production we've been getting out of some of the pieces we're talking about moving? It's not as though that kind of production is impossible to replace. I've felt like the last 2-3 years the White Sox have been heavy on name players and light on production.

You don't think the rebuilding will be daunting? We just traded for the Blue Jays' #18 prospect and he immediately became our #2 prospect. That's how bad our minor league system is. While our drafting has been better in recent years, it will take several strong drafts to replenish the system and the new CBA isn't going to make that any easier for us. I don't care how much production you think we'll be giving up, which is a lot more than you're giving credit for, we simply don't have the talent to replace most of it. If we don't hit on most the prospects we acquire and most of our young players on the major leage roster don't develop into solid regulars, we are going to be in serious f***ing trouble.

Rebuilding may be the right decision, but let's not kid ourselves, it's most likely going to be a long and painful process.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:45 PM)
Very very true. I just wish part of the rebuild was hiring a new GM

Just my opinion. You clearly have more insight on the situation with your sources. It does seem odd if they were indeed willing to offer him a contract and abruptly changed their mind though.

I'd also like Kenny gone.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 01:03 AM)
I've pretty much backed Williams and like how he is usually willing to take risks to try and win. But he has this team a mess right now. He's obvioulsy asking for way too much in trades for his pitchers and then doesn't even try to keep Buerhle. My two points of contention are why does anyone care whether or not JR makes money? As long as the Sox put a good team on the field and can win, I could care less what the payroll is. Secondly, alot say they wouldn't sign him for that amount of money. Why not? That's what the market price was for him. He's only 32 and is going to give 200+ innings and 13-18 wins every year. Didn't he just have a long streak of quality starts snapped late last year? Plus, he's great in the clubhouse. For some reason, I think if he was strikeout pitcher who threw 95 mph, with the exact same stats and situation, alot more people would be pissed.

I said all along, just pay him what he wants.

It's pretty obvious our team is a mess financially cause of the three guys everybody's tired of me mentioning.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:48 PM)
So Mark Buehrle becomes a free agent, and neither of those two teams makes him an offer, so now he's a bad guy, huh?

Genius. Mark can still retire in either spot. He's 16 years younger than Jamie Joyed, btw.

I repeat. Neighed the White Sox nor the Cardinals offered him a contract. To keep your respect, he has to retire?

Oh, yeah Steve, it's ok, I don't expect you to know what emotion is after you s*** on Santos for crying on TV.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 08:09 PM)
You don't think the rebuilding will be daunting? We just traded for the Blue Jays' #18 prospect and he immediately became our #2 prospect. That's how bad our minor league system is. While our drafting has been better in recent years, it will take several strong drafts to replenish the system and the new CBA isn't going to make that any easier for us. I don't care how much production you think we'll be giving up, which is a lot more than you're giving credit for, we simply don't have the talent to replace most of it. If we don't hit on most the prospects we acquire and most of our young players on the major leage roster don't develop into solid regulars, we are going to be in serious f***ing trouble.

Rebuilding may be the right decision, but let's not kid ourselves, it's most likely going to be a long and painful process.

Here you go with the #18 prospect again. Give it up.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 07:12 PM)
Oh, yeah Steve, it's ok, I don't expect you to know what emotion is after you s*** on Santos for crying on TV.

I did?

I stated a fact. I didn't grow to adore Santos and I don't care that he's gone. I hate over valuing closers.

Good luck to Mark. I wouldn't have minded him going to Nationals, they look like an up and coming team.

The Marlins seem like lottery winners just spending freely. Reminiscent of the 1997 version.

Anyway, by no means am I mad or will be mad at Buerhle. I haven't been this upset about a player leaving since Robin.

It was weird to see Robin and Frank in different unis. I'll have to get used to it for Buehrle. Especially in those hideous Marlin ones.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)
Is this contract backloaded? Reyes' contract is and supposedly so was the one offerred to Pujols. I get the feeling Loria wants a couple of years in the new park and then wants to sell.

There is a reason why Loria refuses to offer no-trade clauses.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 07:55 PM)
There is a reason why Loria refuses to offer no-trade clauses.

There's huge danger if the team fails and/or the people stop coming to the games. If guys are owed too much money, their contract is their no trade clause. If Reyes averages 100 games a year, he doesn't need a no trade clause.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 07:17 PM)
Here you go with the #18 prospect again. Give it up.

Give what up? Are you saying he wasn't going to be ranked #18 in the Blue Jays' 2012 prospect list by Baseball America? Several other people also heard Jim Callis say this. But please ignore this point and pretend that he's some elite prospect. I'm sure it makes the immediate rebuilding process that much easier in your eyes.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 07:58 PM)
There's huge danger if the team fails and/or the people stop coming to the games. If guys are owed too much money, their contract is their no trade clause. If Reyes averages 100 games a year, he doesn't need a no trade clause.

Which will happen because it's Miami and only college football & NASCAR matter down there. The Heat were having trouble selling out playoff games this year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:13 PM)
I'm now officially an ex-season ticketholder. I don't like rebuilding, and the rebuilder is a clown. As for Buerhle being a hypocrite, I don't think that's right. Being a free agent and talking to other teams, he was exposed to things he wasn't exposed to before. Opinions can change, and $58 million is $58 million to do something you love doing.

IMO KW is rebuilding to give himself more time. They won't fire him if the team sucks for a while. Its imperative he hits a home run in at least a couple of these deals, but I have zero confidence. He's a bulls***er. Even his talk about "interviewing" Robin while he was playing for a manager job was sickening. If he truly did that, how come JR was one of the last to know? I hope he doesn't sit in his chair too much longer. Having him re-build is very dangerous.

Where's Greg Hibbard when needed, haha?

This whole thread is ridiculous. Buehrle has said the same types of things that EVERY ATHLETE IN THE HISTORY OF PROFESSIONAL SPORTS has said about money.

It would be the corollary to an athlete saying, "F--- my family, I'm going where the union and my agent tell me to go, for the most years, and the most dollars."

Buehrle leaving was the right business decision for the Sox, there's no question about it.

It just seems pointless that we kept the likes of Juan Pierre and Omar Vizquel on the team for as long as we did...but I guess most of that can probably be blamed on Ozzie, right?

Buehrle will always be a favorite...and the lack of reaction is more of a generalized acceptance that our team is returning to the 1985-1989 and 1998-1999 mode of rebuilding and patience. That KW is still around absolutely sucks...when all we can do is hope if things go wrong next year (again) that it's so uncomfortable for Williams that he has no choice but to fall on his own sword. Seriously, it absolutely sucks when you expect that you're more likely to compete for the #1 overall draft pick than first place, and yet you have zero faith the White Sox will actually select the right player.

I guess because Ozzie and Mark will be together, that does cause more of an emotional reaction on the part of fans...that he picked Ozzie over the White Sox/KW. Anyone is free to see it that way...but the same thing will happen to the future Marlins as happened to the 1997 and 2003 teams, eventually.

I prefer to HOPE that everything that can go wrong won't continue to go wrong forever...otherwise, I won't be watching any baseball games for the next 2-3 seasons, except to watch Dayan Viciedo and Paul Konerko hit.

They might as well just send Konerko, Danks, AJ, Thornton, Ramirez, Quentin and Floyd packing. With the possible exception of Ramirez, none of them will be around for when the White Sox are capable of contending again.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 08:06 PM)
Give what up? Are you saying he wasn't going to be ranked #18 in the Blue Jays' 2012 prospect list by Baseball America? Several other people also heard Jim Callis say this. But please ignore this point and pretend that he's some elite prospect. I'm sure it makes the immediate rebuilding process that much easier in your eyes.

How many of the "phenoms" even in top 25 for all the minors make it big?

Most bust.

Look at the White Sox and their huge backload of pitching depth in the minors from 1999-2001.

Of all those guys, who are the ones who had the most impact?

Arguably the most lowly regarded prospects, Mark Buehrle, Josh Fogg and Chad Bradford (yeah, I know some will argue Garland too).

If the White Sox and Paddy really like someone, we have to live with that...we can second-guess all we want. You can look at all the 3-4-5 star ratings for high school football players, but it really is just ONE indicator, in the end. I know with my Iowa football team, having underrated 2-3 prospects like Bob Sanders, Robert Gallery or Dallas Clark was preferable to the blue chip 4-5 star guys that always picked OSU, Michigan, Penn State or Nebraska.

Those players became stars because of work ethic and great coaching. The same is equally true in baseball as well.

And 80-90% of the success of our pitchers has always been attributed to Don Cooper, right? I'm guessing Cooper had to have seen video of this kid (pitching in the minors this season), or they never would have traded for him.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:58 PM)
Are you guys kidding me??? Fighting and insulting one and another cause of a stupid baseball player? Really??? Some of you need to chiill out and get a life, mark is no longer with the sox, so face it the world ain't gonna end, there will be other favorites sooner than later, you tip you're cap to mark he was always classy in his 12 solid seasons, but he's gone and no insult is gonna make that change. GROW UP

^^^

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:38 PM)
Good thing he wasted money on Frasor to try and justify a terrible trade.

The only time I can ever remember letting a player go and not attempting to keep him (to justify a past trade) was David Riske...(ironically we would have been better off keeping the LH set-up guy Javier Lopez in the first place).

We now shouldn't be surprised that he's hoping and praying for a Frasor rebound (and possible trade to a contender) this time around.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 08:16 PM)
This whole thread is ridiculous. Buehrle has said the same types of things that EVERY ATHLETE IN THE HISTORY OF PROFESSIONAL SPORTS has said about money.

It would be the corollary to an athlete saying, "F--- my family, I'm going where the union and my agent tell me to go, for the most years, and the most dollars."

No Buehrle hasn't at all. That's what was so awesome about him, that he talked about how the money wasn't that important, how he could retire early, how just being close to home and close to family matters. Obviously $58 million quickly changed his opinion about that. Very few athletes talk like Buehrle did though. Most athletes aren't afraid to admit they just want the most money possible in free agency. (There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, especially since careers can end so quick.)