Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

Looks like I will be driving to Miami in 2012 to see MB pitch.

I think the Marlins will be a train wreck within two years, that ballpark is not going to sell out. When you build a park in a neighborhood called "Little Haiti" with no public transportation to speak of, it makes US Cellular's neighborhood look like Kenilworth. Miami has trouble drawing fans to Dolphins games and even Heat tickets are relatively available.

The news down here is that every contract they sign they refuse to put in a no trade clause so if they don't draw fans they will be trying to trade all these contracts when they go belly up. Not to mention the trainwreck that is Hanley Ramirez, that guy has the mental fortitude of a three year old...and I am sure LoMo will be pissed that he will be losing attention.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chiguy79 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 04:08 AM)
Looks like I will be driving to Miami in 2012 to see MB pitch.

I think the Marlins will be a train wreck within two years, that ballpark is not going to sell out. When you build a park in a neighborhood called "Little Haiti" with no public transportation to speak of, it makes US Cellular's neighborhood look like Kenilworth. Miami has trouble drawing fans to Dolphins games and even Heat tickets are relatively available.

The news down here is that every contract they sign they refuse to put in a no trade clause so if they don't draw fans they will be trying to trade all these contracts when they go belly up. Not to mention the trainwreck that is Hanley Ramirez, that guy has the mental fortitude of a three year old...and I am sure LoMo will be pissed that he will be losing attention.

Good, maybe we can trade for Mark in a year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 10:01 PM)
No, he gave them every chance to give him a counter offer, of which there was no guarantee he would accept. I'm sure he would have accepted a bit of a hometown discount, but exactly how much less? If the Sox could only afford 3/$27, I doubt he stays in Chicago instead of going to Miami. With the recent bad seasons & the Terrible Trio's contracts, I'm not sure the Sox thought they could offer him a fair market offer.

That was also before Miami offered anything. He told them he would take a hometown discount before FA hit.

Of course the Sox offered nothing in return, so we never know what he would have taken.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 03:22 AM)
Wait, so you defend the veteran manager with a bloated payroll but you're ready to jump on Ventura, the rookie manager with a rebuilding squad? I can't wait!

I didn't mean to ignore your question. Just went back and found it.

I won't go out of my way to blast Ventura for decisions that backfire, as I still think second guessing is kind of counterproductive, but if somebody else points out a blunder I will not defend him at all as I would have Ozzie.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Nov 4, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
If someone is going to overpay MB so be it, I do not want it to be the Sox.

And that's exactly what the marlins did

Funny how he always said he wanted to end his career playing for the Cardinals.

I guess his home time team didn't share his sentiments

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 07:40 PM)
MDGonzales Mark Gonzales

KW sounded less than lukewarm on the prospects of Buehrle returning.

7 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

ESPNChiSox Doug Padilla

KW tried his best to sound optimistic on Buehrle. Didn't sound good though.

4 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

CST_soxvan Daryl Van Schouwen

Williams on Buehrle had pessimistic, realistic feel: "There’s a time for everyone to come. There’s a time for everyone to go.''

3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

it certainly was time for Williams to go....

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 10:38 PM)
I'm not upset we didn't re-sign him, but Opening Day will not be the same without him on the mound.

You'd guess they would give it to Danks, but what are the odds that either Danks or Floyd will both still be around?

Seeing Sale start would be the most exciting, but they probably wouldn't do that to him.

Which leads me to the sneaking suspicion it will be Peavy...after a series of Scott Merkin puff pieces hyping his reinvigorated fastball and nastier breaking slider.

Actually, based on the way he pitched for the majority of the season, Phil Humber is probably the most deserving over Danks/Floyd.

Zach Stewart? Molina?

Excellent 95 pictures by the Trib.

This man leaving the White Sox is a travesty, a sad, dark day in White Sox history.

I love the no hitter pix; Mark sliding on the tarp and of course posing with the WS trophy.

I hope Reinsdorf likes the photo of he and Mark celebrating together. What a joke to not pay this man.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...04.photogallery

Also an excellent column by Rogers on missing Mark.

I especially like this paragraph...

"Meanwhile, back at U.S. Cellular, the White Sox head toward a period of losing seasons and declining attendance. Ken Williams wasn't able to keep Buehrle from free agency because he painted himself into a corner with the high-cost, low-impact additions of Jake Peavy, Alex Rios and Adam Dunn in 2009 and '10, when Buehrle was talking he might go away from baseball after 2011, when his contract ended."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,5043247.column

Edited by greg775

The Marlins new manager, Ozzie Guillen, was Buehrle’s manager with the Chicago White Sox the last eight years. They are close friends, a factor that undoubtedly contributed to Buehrle’s decision.

“I’m glad to have him because now I can see his kids grow up,” Guillen said. “It’s about pitching. … He made my life a little bit easier because pitching can drive you crazy and now we have one guy who can help us win.”

yahoo.com/sports

So the Marlins have offered 6 year and $100+ million to CJ Wilson...and the Angels are their main competion. And down to the Angels/Cardinales for Pujols apparently.

While their bid for Pujols generated the biggest buzz, and rightfully so given his stature as perhaps the best baseball player in the world, the Marlins withdrew their offer Wednesday when it became apparent his heart remained with the St. Louis Cardinals.

With Pujols out of the picture, the Marlins quickly turned their attention to upgrading the starting rotation, reaching agreement with Buehrle on a four-year, $58 million deal and taking aim on Wilson.

“This kid is special,” said manager Ozzie Guillen, who was also Buehrle’s manager with the Chicago White Sox. “Very happy to have this kid. One of my favorite players.”

Buehrle, 32, has spent his entire 12-year big-league career with the White Sox, compiling a 161-119 record and 3.83 ERA. Known for his durability and consistency, Buehrle has thrown at least 200 innings each of the past 11 seasons. He has also thrown a pair of no-hitters, including a perfect game in 2009.

“He just wins,” said Larry Beinfest, Marlins president of baseball operations. “He’s got a world championship under his best (belt). One of the best fielding pitchers in baseball. Super competitive. He’s not throwing 95 mph, but he knows how to get people out.”

Buehrle joins a rotation that already includes Josh Johnson, Anibal Sanchez, Ricky Nolasco and Chris Volstad. If Wilson accepts their offer, the Marlins will have solidified a rotation that was a weak point last season.

The Angels have reportedly made a five-year deal to Wilson, a California native who has gone 31-15 since becoming a starter for the Texas Rangers two years ago.

“We are certainly looking at other moves, there is no question about that,” Samson said.

Guillen is ecstatic with the acquisitions.

“We have what we want,” Guillen said. “Now, how about three more? You shoot for the moon, just in case.”

All of the activity by the Marlins has generated excitement in South Florida. Samson said the team’s souvenir stores spread throughout the region sold out of dozens of replica Reyes jersey in a matter of hours Wednesday after his signing was formally announced. Samson said more jerseys were ordered.

And Samson said ticket sales increased every day since Friday.

With the team we’re putting together, we expect there to be very few empty seats at this ballpark ever,” Samson said of the team’s new, 37,000-seat ballpark. “We want to deliver to Miami its first division winner ever and it’s third World Series.”

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/07/2536...l#ixzz1fvKDl2xA

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 12:54 AM)
    With the team we’re putting together, we expect there to be very few empty seats at this ballpark ever,” Samson said of the team’s new, 37,000-seat ballpark. “We want to deliver to Miami its first division winner ever and it’s third World Series.” [/i]

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/07/2536...l#ixzz1fvKDl2xA

Tell that to the Miami Heat.

God, I hate the Marlins so much.

No words for this... my second favorite player ever (Frank of course is the first) and now he's gone. This was KW's doing here. Mark should have retired here. We all knew this was going to happen, but it really is a kick in the balls to officially see it. Gonna miss my favorite sox pitcher ever and a guy who has battled adversity all his career as a no name/stuff/chance 38th round pick.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 08:06 PM)
    Give what up? Are you saying he wasn't going to be ranked #18 in the Blue Jays' 2012 prospect list by Baseball America? Several other people also heard Jim Callis say this. But please ignore this point and pretend that he's some elite prospect. I'm sure it makes the immediate rebuilding process that much easier in your eyes.

He was also going to be rated #2 by BA, but of course you would frame it in the worst possible light...

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 07:12 AM)
    I'm about 80 miles from Cincinnati, so if anybody wants to joint me to see Mark's first game with Miami, let me know. I'd assume he's gotta be in the top 3 in their rotation, right?

Maybe #4. Johnson/Sanchez/Nolasco are already there

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
    There are hundreds. Of course we can agree to disagree at this point. Part of being a hypocrite would be that Mark would turn down the opportunity to do what he has always said he wanted to do. Since there are no offers from the one team he wanted to stay with and none from teams near his hometown, he is stuck negotiating with teams that actually want him and appreciate him. That not hypocrisy, thats called job hunting.

It didn't take long to find someone I agree with.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 12:11 AM)
    You'd guess they would give it to Danks, but what are the odds that either Danks or Floyd will both still be around?

Seeing Sale start would be the most exciting, but they probably wouldn't do that to him.

Which leads me to the sneaking suspicion it will be Peavy...after a series of Scott Merkin puff pieces hyping his reinvigorated fastball and nastier breaking slider.

Actually, based on the way he pitched for the majority of the season, Phil Humber is probably the most deserving over Danks/Floyd.

Zach Stewart? Molina?

Well you can't expect a pitcher a year removed from rehab for a major injury to be better that would just be silly. People never pitch better after strengthening thier shoulders. So there's no reason to expect him to better this year at all.

I'm tired of people ripping a guy who had a major, unique injury to his throwing shoulder for trying to pitch. The guy worked his rear end off trying to help his team and he gets nothing but complaints. I know I've said it before but I would rather have a competitive guy like Peavy who refuses to give up as opposed to a guy like Mark Prior who rfuses to pitch because of soreness in his shoulder.