Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 07:12 PM)
Oh, yeah Steve, it's ok, I don't expect you to know what emotion is after you s*** on Santos for crying on TV.

Your first f***ing mistake is bringing emotion to this in the first place.

Mark Buehrle was a fantastic pitcher for the White Sox. I don't see why people are dumb enough in this day and age to think athletes view their job as anything other than... their job.

They get paid enormous sums because they are the best in the world at a practice that generates interest, fame, and fortune. However, Mark Buehrle has as much right to do what he just did as anyone else in any other profession.

Let's say I interview for a new job, and receive a great offer. The job will, however, cause me to uproot my family for the next four years and sacrifice some of what I hold dear, but this job is literally offering exactly what I want and giving me the opportunity to try it.

I take this offer to my current company, hoping, though not really hoping because I kinda want to try something new, and tell them "if you match it I will stay."

All signs point to the fact that Mark did this.

My boss (or Kenny Williams) says the money is not there. In fact, in this position, the money is not even there for my old job anymore. So I can either retire (in reality, impossible, in baseball, sure) or I can try this great new job and continue setting up generations upon generations and build my legacy as the best thing that ever happened to my last name.

You are being unreasonable to bring emotion into this. Expecting Mark Buehrle to shun fantastic offers and sign in a s***ty situation in Chicago for whatever tiny sum is made available to Kenny given his woeful track record the past three years, is just unreasonable and shows you have no idea how the real world works.

Baseball players are people, and baseball players want money just as much as anyone. I don't care how much someone makes, they should certainly keep trying to improve their financial footing... and in Mark's case also enjoy a fun new environment under a (please don't read this greg) manager you like playing under.

Take. Emotion. Out.

Or else forever be disappointed in sports stars.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
If you are taking emotion totally out of sports, there is no reason at all for you to be watching it.

also I guarantee that's not what he meant. you have to take emotion out of the business side of the sport.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 07:39 AM)
Well you can't expect a pitcher a year removed from rehab for a major injury to be better that would just be silly. People never pitch better after strengthening thier shoulders. So there's no reason to expect him to better this year at all.

I'm tired of people ripping a guy who had a major, unique injury to his throwing shoulder for trying to pitch. The guy worked his rear end off trying to help his team and he gets nothing but complaints. I know I've said it before but I would rather have a competitive guy like Peavy who refuses to give up as opposed to a guy like Mark Prior who rfuses to pitch because of soreness in his shoulder.

Thank you. I can't believe people expected him to come out in 2011 and be back to full strength. This is the pattern with major surgeries for pitchers... he was injured in 2010, gone. 2011 was his rebuilding year, so he was inconsistent and struggled. It is that 2nd year after when pitchers tend to really get back closer to normal. That would be 2012 for Peavy.

Of course it may not happen at all. But history says 2012 has a decent chance of being a decent year for Peavy.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
also I guarantee that's not what he meant. you have to take emotion out of the business side of the sport.

Which is impossible. that means no reactions to trades, no reactions to signings, no reactions to drafts, no reactions to firings etc.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
Which is impossible. that means no reactions to trades, no reactions to signings, no reactions to drafts, no reactions to firings etc.

lol you can have your reactions, but you also HAVE to realize players don't do this stuff to spite the fans, and they don't do it because they're "hypocritical" or "shady" or whatever. They don't OWE us anything. Baseball is their job. And they treat it just like you and I treat ours, as a business. And we need to realize that.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
lol you can have your reactions, but you also HAVE to realize players don't do this stuff to spite the fans, and they don't do it because they're "hypocritical" or "shady" or whatever. They don't OWE us anything. Baseball is their job. And they treat it just like you and I treat ours, as a business. And we need to realize that.

That is just an excuse to come off a preachy when you want to, and still be able to throw a temper tantrum over essentially the same thing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 10:44 AM)
That is just an excuse to come off a preachy when you want to, and still be able to throw a temper tantrum over essentially the same thing.

hmm. show me where I've thrown a temper tantrum about a player leaving?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 09:37 AM)

I'd say condemning Mark Buehrle for leaving in this situation is letting emotion take over. Look at it from a realistic standpoint, and move along. His time had come.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)
Over a "business decision"?

lol that's all it is.

I'm in the same industry. I work in the entertainment industry and that's exactly what sports is. It's no different than an actor leaving a long running tv series to go do movies ala Steve Carrell and The Office. Getting angry at him is just pointless. Yeah sure it's ruining your favorite show, but he's got other things he wants to do with his life, and that's just the way it is. It ain't personal.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
lol that's all it is.

I'm in the same industry. I work in the entertainment industry and that's exactly what sports is. It's no different than an actor leaving a long running tv series to go do movies ala Steve Carrell and The Office. Getting angry at him is just pointless. Yeah sure it's ruining your favorite show, but he's got other things he wants to do with his life, and that's just the way it is. It ain't personal.

Right. Remember "it ain't personal" when you are one of your loony left wing rants.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 11:01 AM)
Right. Remember "it ain't personal" when you are one of your loony left wing rants.

wow that's a completely different context and not at all related to the topic we're discussing.

and kinda odd and inappropriate for a mod such as yourself to bring the 'buster into a PH thread dontcha think?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
wow that's a completely different context and not at all related to the topic we're discussing.

and kinda odd and inappropriate for a mod such as yourself to bring the 'buster into a PH thread dontcha think?

Why it is only business, right? It ain't personal, right? Kind of odd to have such an emotional reaction, don't you think?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
Why it is only business, right? It ain't personal, right? Kind of odd to have such an emotional reaction, don't you think?

haha yeah ok you keep at it and try and rile me up. That will TOTALLY prove your baseball-related argument. this is pretty silly don't YOU think?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 07:39 AM)
Well you can't expect a pitcher a year removed from rehab for a major injury to be better that would just be silly. People never pitch better after strengthening thier shoulders. So there's no reason to expect him to better this year at all.

I'm tired of people ripping a guy who had a major, unique injury to his throwing shoulder for trying to pitch. The guy worked his rear end off trying to help his team and he gets nothing but complaints. I know I've said it before but I would rather have a competitive guy like Peavy who refuses to give up as opposed to a guy like Mark Prior who rfuses to pitch because of soreness in his shoulder.

I've never ripped on Peavy, really, ever.

My only point is that I'm going to get tired of all the Peavy/Dunn/Rios/Beckham "comeback" stories. Because certainly we're not going to add much going forward outside of unproven young talent.

And my other issue is Peavy now apparently saying he doesn't want to be part of a rebuilding effort when the 2009-2011 seasons he's had have contributed mightily to putting us in this mess where we can't retain one of our two franchise players. (Obviously, KW/Rios/Dunn are the other key part of that equation).

I don't hate Peavy, though. And I wouldn't be shocked if he pitched as well as he has since he was with the Padres in 2007. Maybe a 3.6-3.75 ERA, optimistically.

Edited by caulfield12

This is right move by both sides. Buehrle too expensive for the White Sox as his numbers would probably worsen in the AL. However, in the NL, he will have new life and getting to face the pitcher 2-3 times a game will help him. I think that the Marlins overpaid for him however it will help him to move to the NL.

And having Ozzie manage him only helps Buehrle. Ozzie knows him well and also knows when to protect Buehrle (like limiting spring training innings, giving him an extra day of rest here and there).

Of course if the White Sox didn't have the contracts of Dunn and Rios, then we could have overpaid on Buehrle. We also lost Buehrle in 2007 and we gave him a big contract then. Grateful for all that Buehrle did with his time with the White Sox. Especially 2005. Opening Day 1-0 win (first appearance in 2005) and then the save in Game 3 of the WS (last appearance in 2005)

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
This is right move by both sides. Buehrle too expensive for the White Sox as his numbers would probably worsen in the AL. However, in the NL, he will have new life and getting to face the pitcher 2-3 times a game will help him. I think that the Marlins overpaid for him however it will help him to move to the NL.

And having Ozzie manage him only helps Buehrle. Ozzie knows him well and also knows when to protect Buehrle (like limiting spring training innings, giving him an extra day of rest here and there).

Of course if the White Sox didn't have the contracts of Dunn and Rios, then we could have overpaid on Buehrle. We also lost Buehrle in 2007 and we gave him a big contract then. Grateful for all that Buehrle did with his time with the White Sox. Especially 2005. Opening Day 1-0 win (first appearance in 2005) and then the save in Game 3 of the WS (last appearance in 2005)

damn if that didn't set the tone, huh? good stuff.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)
your business is trolling a message board? ugh. I'm sorry for the life choices that brought you to this point. alright, you win.

You mean like telling people they shouldn't care at all about the favorite players on their favorite team, even after 11 years?