Phillies sign Jim Thome

Balta1701

Wait I thought Thome was going to retire and be the White Sox hitting coach?

I am not convinced that Thome can play first base. And a NL team cannot afford to give a roster spot to a guy who really only can pinch hit. Don't the Phillies know this?

Phillies need a left-handed bat who plays 1B? We have one of those. Do they want Adam Dunn in a trade? lol!

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Nov 5, 2011 -> 07:14 PM)
Wait I thought Thome was going to retire and be the White Sox hitting coach?

I am not convinced that Thome can play first base. And a NL team cannot afford to give a roster spot to a guy who really only can pinch hit. Don't the Phillies know this?

Phillies need a left-handed bat who plays 1B? We have one of those. Do they want Adam Dunn in a trade? lol!

Actually, an NL team is ideal for a guy that will primarily be a pinch-hitter. And Thome will get plenty of run with Howard out to start '12. lol!

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 5, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)
Actually, an NL team is ideal for a guy that will primarily be a pinch-hitter. And Thome will get plenty of run with Howard out to start '12. lol!

I find it hard to believe he'll be able to play 1B, but it goes to show you cannot trust everything you hear in the media. When he was hitting the tar out of the ball in 2006, we were told he couldn't play interleague too often because of his back and not being able to play the field.

Now he's going to be playing 1B for the Phils next year part time?? Interesting...

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 05:42 AM)
I find it hard to believe he'll be able to play 1B, but it goes to show you cannot trust everything you hear in the media. When he was hitting the tar out of the ball in 2006, we were told he couldn't play interleague too often because of his back and not being able to play the field.

Now he's going to be playing 1B for the Phils next year part time?? Interesting...

Physical conditions can change over 6 years...

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Nov 7, 2011 -> 01:57 AM)
Thome on a NL team makes no sense at all.

The bottom line is YOU SAID IT ALL with that short post.

Paulie is a master at first base digging throws and fielding grounders to his right. He's not so great to his left for some reason.

Jim Thome will be a disaster at first base. a.) He's old. b.) he's huge. c.) didn't he go to the Dodgers a few years ago down the stretch and was only a pinch hitter?

Jim may want a WS title, but what good is it if you never play? I guess he'll be DH for a couple weeks during the season and pinch hitter the rest.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 04:26 PM)
He is recruiting Cuddyear

If that's the case, then they must be REALLY desperate. Yeah, go get a inconsistent mediocre player who's nearing his mid 30s. See how that goes for you.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2011 -> 02:40 AM)
Gotta replace Raul Ibanez somehow, amirite?

With the batch of lefties they have, the injury issues to Howard, the regular injury issues to Utley, and Victorino being a FA after this season (Possibly pushing one of their youngsters to CF), Cuddyer's ability to play multiple positions, none of them great but none of them terrible and his ability to hit RH with power would both fit well there.