Penn State horror story

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 10, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
I think she's probably trying to clear his name one final time, but I think you're right...just dredging this back up makes it worse...I think people will ultimately just think of JoePa as a bit naive and detached from this, but they won't really lay too much blame on his shoulders. It certainly destroys the rainbows and unicorns associated with him though, and I don't think there's anyway of getting around that.

There is a vocal group that will not stop until the wins are given back, the statues put back in their places and the murals repainted. Unfortunately (for them) none of that is likely to happen

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Here's my take: I think this is actually a good decision, even if unfortunate result is that Penn State ultimately benefits from it. The players and coaches won those games. 99% of those people weren't involved in the Sandusky stuff. It makes little sense to claim those games never happened and that Penn State never won them based on that scandal.

On top of that, you can divorce Paterno winning on the field with Paterno being an immoral, unethical slim ball protecting his child molesting friend. One has little to do with the other if you think about it. It's not like the program was deriving any benefit from that activity. It's not, from a winning and losing perspective, the same as a head coach knowing that his players are cheating and breaking NCAA rules or flat out cheating himself. It'd be one thing if Sandusky was the DC or OC with clear ties to the play of the team, but he wasn't.

So, I don't have a problem with it. What everyone wants, Paterno's legacy being tainted, is already going to happen/has already happened. Outside of Happy Valley he's always going to have the Sandusky stuff linked to him. If they want to create a little bubble and pretend like it never happened, fine. It's not like other universities haven't done the same thing. Hell, our entire country does that with certain atrocities we committed in the past.

The reason they took the wins away is because Paterno and Penn State believed winning football games was more important than reporting child rape. They continued to cover it up during the duration of those wins they took away.

It's a f***ed up town. Tonight the hockey team is putting 409 on their helmets. Sickening.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 09:02 PM)
They are the ones who have spent the last month cheering.

That's what has bothered me.

That and applying for a job there.

There were millions of people cheering on Penn State. They had no idea what was going on. They are not guilty of anything. Crimes happen on every college campus, most people have no knowledge of them. You can't hold an entire campus guilty. There is one person still not punished, which pisses me off. But I'm not concerned about punishing a campus.