2012 Minor League Catch All thread

southsider2k5

Winston-Salem Dash ‏@WSDashBaseball

Dash starter and highly-touted #WhiteSox prospect Jake Petricka left today's game after just 4 pitches.

Winston-Salem starter Jake Petricka exited Friday night’s game against the Carolina Mudcats after Tyler Holt lined a ball off Petricka’s right elbow.

Holt’s line drive came on Petricka’s fourth pitch of the outing. After trying to walk off the injury for a few moments, Petricka headed briefly for the dugout before walking to the clubhouse.

Fellow right-hander Justin Collop relieved Petricka, who had been pitching well lately. The former second-round pick had worked through six innings in each of last three starts, with the most recent pair of outings resulting in quality starts. Petricka, who is the fifth-best prospect in the White Sox minor league system, entered Friday with a 3-3 record and a 4.50 ERA.

http://dashboard.mlblogs.com/2012/05/25/pe...n-first-inning/

Edited by OilCan

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really weird that Cyle Hankered hasn't reported to whichever team he's been assigned to. Guys who get purchased from Indy ball teams usually haul ass to report to an affiliate. It's also odd that Jon Gaston took three days to report.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 27, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
It's really weird that Cyle Hankered hasn't reported to whichever team he's been assigned to. Guys who get purchased from Indy ball teams usually haul ass to report to an affiliate. It's also odd that Jon Gaston took three days to report.

Talked to Cyle on Twitter, going to Kanny. Weird, since he's played over 300 games at AA and is 27.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 27, 2012 -> 10:14 PM)
Talked to Cyle on Twitter, going to Kanny. Weird, since he's played over 300 games at AA and is 27.

Not to mention it's not like Kanny is on the cusp of first place this first half. (14.5 games back) W-S is fine in the OF and in the standings (although I thought they would promote Shoemaker and put Cyle in his place or even in AA like you said since the Barons are weak in the OF) but no. Very odd.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 27, 2012 -> 10:44 PM)
Not to mention it's not like Kanny is on the cusp of first place this first half. (14.5 games back) W-S is fine in the OF and in the standings (although I thought they would promote Shoemaker and put Cyle in his place or even in AA like you said since the Barons are weak in the OF) but no. Very odd.

The Barons have one open roster spot and they're carrying 3 active catchers. They've been DH'ing one of those catchers the last few games. Hankerd would be a perfect fit for their needs, especially since he can play first base. I mean, hell, he made it to AA in the Southern League 4 years ago, and that was a full season.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ May 28, 2012 -> 06:52 AM)
Any Erik Johnson news update? Haven't really heard anything on our wonderful 2nd round draft pick that was supposed to move through our system quickly. Shoulder issues right?

Elbow I believe. Tommy John might be in his future (though probably not immediately) from what I've heard.

Edited by DirtySox

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=2...p;tcid=tw_share

About the only thing that could stop Terry Doyle on Monday was a cramp.

Doyle allowed a one-out double in the eighth inning to Matt Carson, spoiling his no-hit bid, as Triple-A Charlotte beat Rochester, 4-1, on Memorial Day.

Doyle, who exited after the base hit, struck out three and walked two. A 37th-round pick by the White Sox in 2008, he threw 50 of his 82 pitches for strikes and retired 11 straight before the double.

"I think I just threw a lot strikes early in the game and got the hitters to be a bit more aggressive. I exploited that late in the game," he said.

While warming up to open the eighth, Doyle (4-3) suffered a cramp in his left leg. He stayed out there to start the frame following a conference with Knights manager Joel Skinner, but didn't think it affected his pitching.

"I called out the coach to let him know I didn't know how much longer I could go out there," the 26-year-old right-hander said. "He gave me a shot to finish out the inning and get the no-hitter. I tried to make a good pitch and Carson got a good piece to get a double."

Doyle endured a rough offseason. After being exposed by the White Sox to the Rule 5 Draft, the Massachusetts native was selected by the Twins. He was returned to Chicago after posting a 21.60 ERA in four Spring Training appearances. His exposure and performance this spring has been a motivating factor for Doyle.

"I'm trying to show to everybody what I can do and get another chance," Doyle said. "I was a little disappointed when the White Sox didn't protect me, but this game is very humbling.

"When I heard my name called, I was excited because it was a good fit but it just didn't work out the way I hoped. I tried to buckle down and get back to pitching well."

Overall, Doyle has a 3.05 ERA and International League hitters are batting .217 against him. He's fanned 56 batters over 62 innings in 2012, good for sixth in the league, and his 1.02 WHIP ranks seventh.

Monday's outing was just the third time in 10 appearances that Doyle had fanned less than five batters, which he credited to the Rochester hitters.

"I think that they just did a good job of putting the bat on the ball," Doyle said. "Their two-strike approach is really good. They do a good job of putting the ball into play with two strikes, which is what you're supposed to do."

Leyson Septimo took over for Doyle and allowed a run on two hits over the final 1 2/3 innings for Charlotte.

Tyler Kuhn and Jordan Danks contributed an RBI apiece while Josh Phegley, Chicago's No. 20 prospect, singled and scored a run for the Knights.

Pedro Florimon, the Twins' No. 20 prospect, hit a solo homer in the ninth for the Red Wings.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
Josh Feldman ‏@BigTexJosh

Intimidators starting rotation update: Tomorrow LH Jefferson Olacio then LH Scott Snodgress, RH Myles Jaye, LH Matt Lane & LH Blair Walters.

That's a pretty intriguing rotation they have going down there

I was looking at an old writeup regarding the 2010 Draft Class.

Would we call this a success? Or is there more to come?

To recap:

1) Chris Sale, LHP, Florida Gulf Coast University

2) Jacob Petricka, RHP, Indiana State University

3) Addison Reed, RHP,San Diego State

3S) Thomas Royse, RHP, University of Louisville (TJ surgery 2011 but is supposed to be back this year)

4) Matthew Grimes, RHP, Georgia HS (enrolled at Georgia Tech, good freshman year, but pitched only a handful of games this year)

5) Andy Wilkins, 1B, University of Arkansas

6) Rangel Ravelo, 3B, Florida HS

7) Tyler Saladino, SS, Oral Roberts

8) Josef Terry, 2B, Cerritos Junior College (went unsigned, back to school, now property of the Cincinnati Reds)

9) Kevin Moran, RHP, Boston College (Haven't heard much about him since '11)

10) Ross Wilson, 2B, University of Alabama

For a draft class that some called so-so, not too shabby.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 31, 2012 -> 09:29 PM)
Once signed, everybody LOVED the Sale pick. He was a top 5 talent.

Reed obviously pushes the draft over as a really good one. It could be amazing if they get another MLB player out of it.

Out of curiosity, can anyone else compare to having two major leaguers out of the 2010 draft already? Let alone a #1/#2 starter and a closer?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)
Out of curiosity, can anyone else compare to having two major leaguers out of the 2010 draft already? Let alone a #1/#2 starter and a closer?

From the first 10 rounds of this draft (plus supplementals) I count 7 players who have made the big leagues. Josh Spence (LHP, Padres), Drew Smyly, Chance Ruffin, Drew Pomeranz, some dude named Bryce, and the 2 guys for the Sox.

The Tigers have 2 players in the bigs from that draft.

Kaplan talks Sox minors

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...rce=twitterfeed

White Sox minor league report

June 1, 2012, 9:40 am

Jared Mitchell went 10-for-20 last week with a pair of home runs. (US Presswire)

The Chicago White Sox very well might be the hottest team in baseball right now but with a veteran roster the future may be coming faster than most fans would like. Let’s take a look at how some of the White Sox prospects fared this past week in our White Sox minor league wrap up.

Dylan Axelrod got only one start last week in the second game of the Charlotte Knights double header on Thursday, May 24. He threw seven innings allowing two runs on four hits. Axelrod was flat out dealing and only threw two bad pitches all night but unfortunately both of them found their way into the seats. He also fanned five on the way to his fourth victory of the season. Axelrod is now 4-2 with 52 strikeouts and a 2.36 ERA.

Birmingham Barons shortstop and highly touted prospect Tyler Saladino has been struggling to find a groove as of late. In 28 at-bats last week, Saladino only recorded four hits (.143). He was held to one run and one extra base hit all week. In seven games Saladino struck out 10 times with three multiple K games. His recent struggles at the dish have lowered his season average to a less than desirable .232.

Simon Castro has been the top-pitching prospect for the Barons and quite possibly the entire minor league organization this season. He started two games and put forth two completely different performances. In his first appearance Castro was touched up for six runs on 10 hits in six innings of work and he was credited with the loss. Six days later the dominant Castro was back. He threw eight superb innings, surrendering only one run on three hits with a .111 batting average against on his way to recording the victory

Another chapter was added to the ever-changing story line of Jared Mitchell this week and it might be one that helped him turn the corner in his development. Mitchell went 10-for-20 (.500) last week with three runs scored, four RBI’s, and two home runs. It appears as if Mitchell is finally getting comfortable at the plate again coming off an Achilles injury two springs ago. He is still battling with an over-eagerness at the plate. He walked nine times last week, which tells us, he is becoming more patient in his approach but he still has a high strikeout rate, which is something he needs to improve upon down the road.

Jacob Petricka has been a solid starter all season long and it appeared as if his Friday start would be another opportunity for him to grow. Plans were cut short when the fourth pitch of the game was turned around and lined directly off Petricka’s throwing elbow. He left the game and later that night tweeted that it felt like he threw 200 pitches not four.

For some reason he tried coming back for his next start three days later on a sore elbow and short rest. Needless to say his outing did not go as planned and was once again cut short, this time due to poor performance. Petricka went 2 1/3 and gave up six runs on 11 hits.

The Kannapolis Intimidators sit 13.5 games back in the South Atlantic League Northern division but third baseman Rangel Ravelo is doing everything in his power to help his team climb back into contention. Ravelo went 7-for-19 (.368) last week with a .458 OBP. His run production may not be where he wants it to be yet but Ravelo is doing everything he can at the plate to find his way on base.

Joe Musso contributed to this report