2012 Minor League Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long before we look at Jordan Danks as a legitimate MLB prospect? He's 25 and is really looking to be a productive player at AAA right now. Talent is sky high and I have to wonder if some of those poor numbers at AAA the past couple years were because we rushed him. I'm not sure if he should be riding the bench in Chicago.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 11:06 PM)
How long before we look at Jordan Danks as a legitimate MLB prospect? He's 25 and is really looking to be a productive player at AAA right now. Talent is sky high and I have to wonder if some of those poor numbers at AAA the past couple years were because we rushed him. I'm not sure if he should be riding the bench in Chicago.

Danks had been a MLB prospect for his entire pro career until recently. It's about time he did something in the upper minors to support that. I'm probably one of his biggest supporters (having watched him show off his plus D in CF in person), but it's put up or shut up time. He's having a good year, but I'm not sure I see him as a full-time MLBer.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 01:25 AM)
Danks had been a MLB prospect for his entire pro career until recently. It's about time he did something in the upper minors to support that. I'm probably one of his biggest supporters (having watched him show off his plus D in CF in person), but it's put up or shut up time. He's having a good year, but I'm not sure I see him as a full-time MLBer.

As we have been discussing in another thread, I would like to see him up as our 4th Outfielder/defensive replacement. Drop Fukodome, and having Danks up allows DeAza to get some rest because he can play CF.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 08:35 AM)
If Sox don't bring him up this year, he will have to be added to the 40 man roster, or he will be gone. Some team will pick him up.

They could have had him this off season and no one took a chance on him.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 08:35 AM)
If Sox don't bring him up this year, he will have to be added to the 40 man roster, or he will be gone. Some team will pick him up.

I think it's pretty much a guarantee he will be the 4th OF next year. Can play all OFs spots well. Good speed. No way Fuku is brought back.

If he hadn't repeated AAA so many times at a young age (maybe we pushed him along too quickly) there would be some major buzz at this point. I'm not eager to make him a big league backup, at least not this year. Next year, at 26, there won't be anything left to prove in AAA.

I know some of us were clamoring for Stetson Allie in 2010, I might have been one of them but I don't remember. Anyhow, after not being able to find the plate whatsoever as a pitcher, he's now been converted to a position player. His only game action this year was in A ball where walked 8 batters and only recorded two outs. Interesting turn of events.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1909481...ngton-kovacevic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 11:06 PM)
I know some of us were clamoring for Stetson Allie in 2010, I might have been one of them but I don't remember. Anyhow, after not being able to find the plate whatsoever as a pitcher, he's now been converted to a position player. His only game action this year was in A ball where walked 8 batters and only recorded two outs. Interesting turn of events.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1909481...ngton-kovacevic

I played against Stetson and saw him pitch a handful of times in person...always caught him on the losing end. Seemed like just an astronomical amount of wild pitches. Too bad for him, but it seemed like this was likely from the get-go.

Just noticed something interesting. The three dominant relievers in Birmingham are Dan Remenowsky, Brandon Kloess and Ryan Kussmaul. They are all NDFA signings - pretty amazing for three undrafted guys to be the three strongest relievers on your AA squad.

And the similarities don't end there. They are all striking out about a guy an inning, all walking guys at a similar relatively low rate, all holding batters around .150 AvgA. They are ages 25, 26 and 27.

Who sees AAA first?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
Just noticed something interesting. The three dominant relievers in Birmingham are Dan Remenowsky, Brandon Kloess and Ryan Kussmaul. They are all NDFA signings - pretty amazing for three undrafted guys to be the three strongest relievers on your AA squad.

And the similarities don't end there. They are all striking out about a guy an inning, all walking guys at a similar relatively low rate, all holding batters around .150 AvgA. They are ages 25, 26 and 27.

Who sees AAA first?

Remenowsky's been to AAA before and didn't do so well, don't know about the others. I still think the most intriguing guy in their pen is Santos Rodriguez, because he's a 6' 5" lefty, and we'll need more lefties sooner after we trade Thornton and/or make Hector a starter. He may finally be figuring it out, and could possibly add to our return from the Javy trade.

I'd like to hear JPN's take on the recent SR.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)
Remenowsky's been to AAA before and didn't do so well, don't know about the others. I still think the most intriguing guy in their pen is Santos Rodriguez, because he's a 6' 5" lefty, and we'll need more lefties sooner after we trade Thornton and/or make Hector a starter. He may finally be figuring it out, and could possibly add to our return from the Javy trade.

I'd like to hear JPN's take on the recent SR.

Santos was interesting a while back, but he's kind of stalled the last few years. 2011 he repeated High A and his peripherals went mostly downhill. This year he seems to be back on track. He's 24 now, so not young anymore, but not really old either. We'l see what happens in AAA.

And to be clear, I wasn't necessarily saying those three NDFA guys were the most talented... just the ones with the best results, at this point.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 11:23 PM)
Kevin Goldstein ‏@Kevin_Goldstein

Stetson Allie's pitching career ends at 26.2 IP, 37 BB, 10 HBP, 10 WP.

Reply Retweet Favorite

I still like him alot as a starter. Was a big fan of his at the time. I think they are giving up on him way too early. Definitely needs a mechanic tweak (hello KW).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)
Kannapolis Intimidators

ROSTER MOVE: Catcher Kevan Smith has been placed on the DL today, so we've received Kevin Dubler from the Birmingham Barons.

That sucks. He was just starting to get hot, and he is a guy who probably makes the top 25 in the system.

Anyone hear what the injury is?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 02:16 PM)
That sucks. He was just starting to get hot, and he is a guy who probably makes the top 25 in the system.

Anyone hear what the injury is?

Someone mentioned a collision at the plate the inning before he came out. No word on exactly what is wrong that I have seen.