2012 Minor League Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)
Remenowsky's been to AAA before and didn't do so well, don't know about the others. I still think the most intriguing guy in their pen is Santos Rodriguez, because he's a 6' 5" lefty, and we'll need more lefties sooner after we trade Thornton and/or make Hector a starter. He may finally be figuring it out, and could possibly add to our return from the Javy trade.

I'd like to hear JPN's take on the recent SR.

Skinniest motherf***er I've ever seen.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trayce Thompson still hitting pretty poorly in A ball. Not sure how much time he will be given past this year before the BUST label starts getting floated.

Link: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...ws&c_id=cws

Trayce Thompson would fall under Laumann's category of athletic players needing time to develop. The White Sox's No. 3 prospect, selected in the second round in 2009, is currently hitting .213 at Single-A Winston-Salem, though he still has Laumann's confidence.

"We all still like Trayce," Laumann said. "We think he's got a chance to be a great player, and an impact player. It's been three years now, and he's hitting .200 in A-ball. Those kids sometimes just take longer."

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 07:26 PM)
Being reported that Cubs were at Soler's workout today, anyone hear if KW had anyone in attendance?

At the numbers being bandied about, I would be shocked if the Sox were anything but observers. For that kind of cash, they could add a major leaguer to the stretch run.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 09:55 PM)
Skinniest motherf***er I've ever seen.

That's hilarious. Any good though?

It seems like nearly all the B'Ham relievers have terrific BAA, and very good K rate, but they walk a few too many. SR, DR, BKloess, R Kussmaul all qualify. Anyone of these guys a future big-leaguer?

After the Nate Jones experience this year, I want to see anyone with a serious arm get a chance to work with Coop.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)
That's hilarious. Any good though?

It seems like nearly all the B'Ham relievers have terrific BAA, and very good K rate, but they walk a few too many. SR, DR, BKloess, R Kussmaul all qualify. Anyone of these guys a future big-leaguer?

After the Nate Jones experience this year, I want to see anyone with a serious arm get a chance to work with Coop.

Rodriguez has big velocity and good movement, but has struggled with control during his career. He's got a lot of raw talent.

Remenowsky doesn't top 90-91 at most, but one of the Sox development people once said he could nail a gnat in the ass on either side of the plate. Can also throw 3 or 4 pitches for strikes consistently.

Kloess and Kussmaul, I really know very little about their tools or pitches.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
Rodriguez has big velocity and good movement, but has struggled with control during his career. He's got a lot of raw talent.

Remenowsky doesn't top 90-91 at most, but one of the Sox development people once said he could nail a gnat in the ass on either side of the plate. Can also throw 3 or 4 pitches for strikes consistently.

Thanks, 72. I'd heard that about Santos, hope he's finally getting there.

I'd really like to see Hector getting groomed to be a starter as soon as next season, and I'm wondering, if we wind up keeping Thornton, if it doesn't make sense to get a look at LSeptimo sometime soon (another guy with excellent BAA/K but walks a few too many), since he's been doing well at Charlotte, and let Hector build some innings at AAA. Unless the starting pitching sucks, Hector's role on the big club isn't really significant enough to keep him in the pen, IMO.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 12:00 PM)

That was Buddy Bell and it was hilarious.

NNS72, do you think Remenowsky will ever make it to the big show? I mean his K9/BB9 and control as you say have always been quite good.

Remenowsky seems like one of those guys like Wasserman with the unusual build or delivery and without great stuff that never quite seem to make it....Ehren had the advantage of the diminished depth on that 2007 roster, but Remenowsky's going to have to leapfrog over about 5-7 guys.

Then you have to factor in this week's draft class, someone like Beck and Hansen will already be jumped ahead of him, when they sign. You've also got guys like Bruney, Heath, Doyle, Axelrod, Castro. Infante, at one point, was very highly regarded, although he's clearly slipped. Jhan Marinez, Omogrosso (possibly), Shirek, Leesman...he would just have to go on an incredible run to put himself into consideration. With the way Veal and Septimo have pitched, they would both factor in, too.

Maybe if Crain's dealt, he will get a closer look, but the odds of that happening aren't very high.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 02:28 AM)
Remenowsky seems like one of those guys like Wasserman with the unusual build or delivery and without great stuff that never quite seem to make it....Ehren had the advantage of the diminished depth on that 2007 roster, but Remenowsky's going to have to leapfrog over about 5-7 guys.

Then you have to factor in this week's draft class, someone like Beck and Hansen will already be jumped ahead of him, when they sign. You've also got guys like Bruney, Heath, Doyle, Axelrod, Castro. Infante, at one point, was very highly regarded, although he's clearly slipped. Jhan Marinez, Omogrosso (possibly), Shirek, Leesman...he would just have to go on an incredible run to put himself into consideration. With the way Veal and Septimo have pitched, they would both factor in, too.

Maybe if Crain's dealt, he will get a closer look, but the odds of that happening aren't very high.

We drafted Beck Hansen? Awesome. That'll make the music at minor league ballparks so much better.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 12:43 AM)
NNS72, do you think Remenowsky will ever make it to the big show? I mean his K9/BB9 and control as you say have always been quite good.

At one point in 2010, I felt pretty confident he would. He was putting up sick K numbers with superb control, and moving up through the system... then he got hurt in 2010 (knee injury on a fielding play at 1B), and missed some time. 2011 he went to B-Ham anyway, and started off strong again, so it looked like he was past the injury just fine... and was promoted to Charlotte. At that point, I would have said there was an 80% chance he makes it.

Then, he kind of fell apart in Charlotte. He's said he ran out of gas that year - he pitched a lot more innings than the year before because he missed time. The question I had was, was this the hitters catching up to him, or him hitting a wall in terms of exchaustion? Unfortunately, for an older NDFA guy who barely hits 90 on the gun, he didn't have room for error.

At this point, I'd say his chances of making it are closer to 20%. Maybe a little better. The make or break is, if he gets to AAA this year, how he does there. If he puts up numbers like he has up through AA, then I'd say he'll get a good shot, if not on the Sox then with someone else. If he struggles in AAA again, or gets buried and never gets promoted, then its probably over.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 01:28 AM)

The Wassermann comp is limited. Both NDFA's, neither threw much above 90, neither were considered "real" prospects on entering the system. But they are vastly different pitchers. Wassermann's game was the submarine delivery, downward movement on his pitches, and being really tough on righties - but he really only had two pitches. Remenowsky isn't a ROOGY, his arm motion is pretty standard (legs aren't), he can throw 4 pitches consistently for strikes, but doesn't have the sort of weird angles and movement that Wassermann had.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
K-Town Intimidators ‏@Intimidators

ROSTER MOVE: Cyle @Hankerd has been promoted to @WSDashBaseball after hitting .438, 5HR, 14 RBI in 9 games w @Intimidators. Good luck, Cyle!

Should've been there to start.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 12:46 AM)
Trayce Thompson still hitting pretty poorly in A ball. Not sure how much time he will be given past this year before the BUST label starts getting floated.

A 21 yr old playing in High A should not even be in the running for any consideration for the Bust label.

It's a small sample size, but his June splits look encouraging. .259/.344/.630/.973

Give him some time. Those that follow T2 know that he's a raw prospect, high upside.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the minors until he's 24.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 05:28 AM)
Can anyone give me a guess about how the Barons starting rotation shapes up right now? Trying to plan pitching matchups for when they visit Tennessee Next weekend, catch a game or maybe 2.

Hernandez is out for now, and Wickswat is about to be dropped from the rotation.

The past three nights, it has been Castro, Bayne and then Molina going Saturday night.

Tuesday is an offday.

If they stay on normal rest, Castro would be Tuesday and Molina Thursday. Theoretically, you could catch Simon Castro on Sunday at 4:00 p.m. No idea who they'd be starting Friday or Saturday, Sat would be Wickswat's turn, though, Friday, Hernandez's spot.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 07:34 PM)
Hernandez is out for now, and Wickswat is about to be dropped from the rotation.

The past three nights, it has been Castro, Bayne and then Molina going Saturday night.

Tuesday is an offday.

If they stay on normal rest, Castro would be Tuesday and Molina Thursday. Theoretically, you could catch Simon Castro on Sunday at 4:00 p.m. No idea who they'd be starting Friday or Saturday, Sat would be Wickswat's turn, though, Friday, Hernandez's spot.

Yeah, but that offday screws things up, they may continue with a 5 man rotation. Going to try PMing JPN.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 11:06 PM)
So Terry Doyle almost throws a no-hitter, and then decides he wants to go play in Japan now? Huh?

The guy is buried on the depth chart. Think about where he is in terms of starting pitching for the Sox.

You've got the Chicago starters Peavy, Danks, Sale, Humber, and Floyd. Quintana has put himself in the conversation. Axelrod has already made time up here, and is on the 40 man roster. You'd have to imagine Stewart is ahead of Doyle simply from his call up last year, and being on the 25 man roster now. Simon Castro might even be ahead Doyle as he is on the 40 man roster, same with Molina and Hernandez (assuming his injury isn't big).

That puts Doyle somewhere between 9th and 12th in the starters. Plus it isn't just the Sox. All of MLB has had shots at the kid, and no one seems to want him.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-06...-white-sox-sign

Meanwhile, pitcher Thomas Royse, who missed all of 2011 recovering from right elbow surgery, will start at Great Falls.

Mitch Mustain, in his first season of pitching after playing quarterback at Arkansas and USC, will relieve at Bristol.

Great Falls will start its season Monday and Bristol on June 19.