2012 Minor League Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott Olsen activated from the Knights DL, Greg Golson placed on the DL and Jim Gallagher promoted to Charlotte. Brady Shoemaker promoted to Birmingham. Ross Wilson promoted to Winston-Salem.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 10:24 AM)
Scott Olsen activated from the Knights DL, Greg Golson placed on the DL and Jim Gallagher promoted to Charlotte. Brady Shoemaker promoted to Birmingham. Ross Wilson promoted to Winston-Salem.

Glad to see those guys getting moved up. Especially Gallagher and Shoe.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)

Definitely good on Shoemaker, he's been deserving for a while, and I want to see what he does in AA. Gallagher was part of an OF/1B/DH rotation, so now Shoemaker becomes part of that.

Not sure I get moving Ross Wilson up though. He's been playing OF lately, but he's been an IF until recently, and he's not exactly crushing the ball in Kanny for a 24 year old repeating it (though he is drawing a lot of walks). Would have thought for sure it would be Haddow.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)

Gallagher was in Charlotte last year and started there this year. He was in AA because he was struggling in AAA earlier this year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
Not sure I get moving Ross Wilson up though. He's been playing OF lately, but he's been an IF until recently, and he's not exactly crushing the ball in Kanny for a 24 year old repeating it (though he is drawing a lot of walks). Would have thought for sure it would be Haddow.

Wilson did fine there last year and this year. He didn't really need to repeat the level in the first place. It was time to move him up. Plus with DeMichele moving up Kanny needed to clear out possible second basemen.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)
Shoemaker is entering cult status territory. Leo Daigle and David Cook among others had similar resumes and didn't make the bigs.

Cook has mystery "off field" issues that, I think, probably held him back (in part). Daigle was a 1B who never had success above A+, and even that was after repeating it thrice. Shoemaker now gets a chance to show something against AA pitching, and I think that will show whether or not he's a prospect.

So what if it was only the first day? While the BA list is not the end-all, be-all, 14 of the top 20 on their list have already been signed. The longer you wait to dance, the fewer partners available.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)
Shoemaker is entering cult status territory. Leo Daigle and David Cook among others had similar resumes and didn't make the bigs.

Yup. 25 years old and hit well in A+. Not exactly exciting.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 02:12 AM)
So what if it was only the first day? While the BA list is not the end-all, be-all, 14 of the top 20 on their list have already been signed. The longer you wait to dance, the fewer partners available.

+1

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 09:12 PM)

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 09:13 PM)
15 out the Top 20 ranked international players have already been signed. 21 of the Top 30 already signed. Stupid comment about first day. First day is huge.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 09:13 PM)
+1

Wait, I thought deals couldn't be negotiated and players couldn't be contacted until the period started? WTF? What you are describing sounds like its just the first day deals can become official. That is not what I thought was going on.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
Wait, I thought deals couldn't be negotiated and players couldn't be contacted until the period started? WTF? What you are describing sounds like its just the first day deals can become official. That is not what I thought was going on.

I guess not. These are signed, sealed and delivered.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)
I guess not. These are signed, sealed and delivered.

If all this signing period is, is an annual bonus cap renewal date... then why would there be a huge rush at the beginning? Furthermore, if before that date you had no cap to face, why was the rush not BEFORE the period? Something doesn't make sense here, I must be misunderstanding something.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 12:04 AM)
July 2 is the first day you can sign a new crop of foreign-born players. Forget the signing cap.

That still doesn't explain why there was a rush to sign guys AFTER the deadline. Why not before? How is it determined what the "crop" is?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
That still doesn't explain why there was a rush to sign guys AFTER the deadline. Why not before? How is it determined what the "crop" is?

That is the cutoff date for kids who turned 16 in the previous year. If you turn it after July 2, you have to wait until 2013 to be signed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)
That is the cutoff date for kids who turned 16 in the previous year. If you turn it after July 2, you have to wait until 2013 to be signed.

ah, OK, so it is an age eligibility thing. That makes some sense, thanks.