2012 Minor League Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 04:27 AM)
BA updated their transactions, no real losses for the Sox with their latest round of releases:

- RHP Jamaal Hollis

- RHP Sam Phippen

- Stephen Sauer

- Justin Edwards

- 2B Drew Lee

They also signed 3B Corey Smith; career minor leaguer.

Corey played for the Barons in 2006. He might play here again in 2012. He's spent most of his career at AA, he split time between AAA and AA for the Dodgers last year.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 02:27 AM)
BA updated their transactions, no real losses for the Sox with their latest round of releases:

- RHP Jamaal Hollis

- RHP Sam Phippen

- Stephen Sauer

- Justin Edwards

- 2B Drew Lee

They also signed 3B Corey Smith; career minor leaguer.

Edwards was a pretty high draft pick, Sauer had one really good season, though he might turn into something.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 11:20 PM)
Justin Edwards just couldn't progress. He had a horrible year in 2011, but I wish him well. Good guy.

Looking over Birmingham's stats, he did have a pretty awful year, no surprise the Sox cut him. But I have to wonder, what are they thinking with Nevin Griffith? He averaged 8 BB/9 and walked more than he struck out. He was far worse. I know he's only 22, but still. Isn't that beyond helping at this point?

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 02:16 AM)
Looking over Birmingham's stats, he did have a pretty awful year, no surprise the Sox cut him. But I have to wonder, what are they thinking with Nevin Griffith? He averaged 8 BB/9 and walked more than he struck out. He was far worse. I know he's only 22, but still. Isn't that beyond helping at this point?

He should've been in A ball last year.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 02:16 AM)

He came off of TJ in 2010. I'd imagine that 12 is his make or break year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 12:18 PM)
He came off of TJ in 2010. I'd imagine that 12 is his make or break year.

He had TJ surgery in 2008 and missed the entire year. He pitched in 2009 and 2010.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 09:44 PM)
Any chance that Tyler Kuhn will get a shot at the 2012 utility infield job?

He hits for decent average but no power at all.

The amount of effort they put into establishing firmly that they're not trying to move him upwards last year argues for no.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 08:51 PM)
The amount of effort they put into establishing firmly that they're not trying to move him upwards last year argues for no.

Plus, there is reasonable doubt about his ability to hit Major League pitching. I'm not so sure they're wrong to be dismissing him.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 11:16 PM)
Plus, there is reasonable doubt about his ability to hit Major League pitching. I'm not so sure they're wrong to be dismissing him.

They may not be...but with the way the Sox farm system is, and the failure of key guys in the IF to develop (Hi Gordon), it sure seems to make sense to push him upwards to see if he can keep doing damage. That's the opposite of what the sox did last year.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
BP's White Sox Top Eleven comes out today.

KG tweeted this a bit ago:

Kevin_Goldstein Kevin Goldstein

Long talk with guy who scouted White Sox system from top to bottom. Major late surgery to list.

32 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

That confused me. I am trying to get him to clarify if he meant someone had surgery, or just a statement on last minute changes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
That confused me. I am trying to get him to clarify if he meant someone had surgery, or just a statement on last minute changes.

I believe he meant he has to rejigger his list now due to some sort of last minute revelation(s).

Edit: I wonder if it has anything to do with Mitchell. He did tweet me in the fall an emphatic "NO" when I asked if I should give up on Mitchell yet. KG does love his toolsy prospects.

Edited by DirtySox