2012 Minor League Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)
I think most people do. I don't see Sanchez as anything special, really.

I think a lot of people really love Sanchez here. I've never seen it. At least Tyler has show flashes of power in the past (16 last year -- only 4 this year). Sanchez has hit a whopping 3 HR's in 865 AB's. That power ain't coming. I don't care if he is 20. Unless he starts taking PED's he's just gonna be a singles hitter with a high average in the Minors. No different than Jeremy Reed...

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 05:22 PM)
I think most people do. I don't see Sanchez as anything special, really.

I disagree, I think most people feel Sanchez is the superior prospect. Given the differences in age, I'd go with Sanchez too, although they are both quality prospects IMO.

I actually think Saladino is very underrated, as his on-base ability has been incredible this year and he's got more power than he's shown this year.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 05:26 PM)
I think a lot of people really love Sanchez here. I've never seen it. At least Tyler has show flashes of power in the past (16 last year -- only 4 this year). Sanchez has hit a whopping 3 HR's in 865 AB's. That power ain't coming. I don't care if he is 20. Unless he starts taking PED's he's just gonna be a singles hitter with a high average in the Minors. No different than Jeremy Reed...

Saladino had big power last year in a hitters' park, but his 2010 power numbers are similar to Reed's right after he was drafted and his 2012 is below what Reed showed in Birmingham power wise. Sanchez is getting some buzz nationally because he's 20 and in AA, but Saladino's power has gone away this year and for some reason so has the average. Neither are elite prospects. I'd be surprised if either one turns in an above average everyday player anyway.

On a side note I know Sanchez was the Sox Futures All Star this year, but besides Tank a few years ago, my memory is that the Sox FAS since it's inception have been some pretty laughable "prospects". I seem to remember Borchard going TWICE and Chris Getz going to NYC haha. Possibly even an Edwin Almonte sighting...

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 07:07 PM)
Justin Greene was placed on the inactive list. Last time that happened it was Pedro Hernandez and was the pre-cursor to the Liriano deal.

Interesting. Looks like KW is following the theme this year and trading no one of value to make the team better.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 05:49 PM)
On a side note I know Sanchez was the Sox Futures All Star this year, but besides Tank a few years ago, my memory is that the Sox FAS since it's inception have been some pretty laughable "prospects". I seem to remember Borchard going TWICE and Chris Getz going to NYC haha. Possibly even an Edwin Almonte sighting...

I remember when Fautino De Los Santos went and that was pretty cool, but yeah usually it's not a big deal name from the Sox.

Justin Greene was placed on the inactive list. Last time that happened it was Pedro Hernandez and was the pre-cursor to the Liriano deal.

I noticed that. He completely disappeared off the Barons' roster, but why would Greene have any value? Maybe he's the PTBNL that people were fearful of for some reason.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 09:08 PM)
I noticed that. He completely disappeared off the Barons' roster, but why would Greene have any value? Maybe he's the PTBNL that people were fearful of for some reason.

Great foot speed, great bat speed, good defender. He could fetch something low level.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)
Saladino had big power last year in a hitters' park, but his 2010 power numbers are similar to Reed's right after he was drafted and his 2012 is below what Reed showed in Birmingham power wise. Sanchez is getting some buzz nationally because he's 20 and in AA, but Saladino's power has gone away this year and for some reason so has the average. Neither are elite prospects. I'd be surprised if either one turns in an above average everyday player anyway.

Adding to this, Saladino's defense isn't nearly at the level that Sanchez's is, according to reports I've read. Sanchez is producing better at similar levels, at a younger age, and has better defensive skills relative to position. IMO Sanchez is a much more valuable prospect.

Sometimes it is for personal reasons. Ravelo has been inactive for weeks now for personal reasons.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 10:17 PM)
Great foot speed, great bat speed, good defender. He could fetch something low level.

Justin Greene isn't going to get anything in trade. He's filler, he wouldn't even be among the top 50 prospects in the Sox system most likely.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)
Justin Greene isn't going to get anything in trade. He's filler, he wouldn't even be among the top 50 prospects in the Sox system most likely.

Nick Punto maybe. LOL

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 08:51 AM)
Sometimes it is for personal reasons. Ravelo has been inactive for weeks now for personal reasons.

I know, I was speculating.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 08:06 AM)
I didn't see an AAP on him, but this is a great read on Mitch Mustain

http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/usc/...4341,full.story

Good stuff. I had completely forgotten about his run-in with the law trying to sell those prescription drugs. This kid was always a hot-head and I didn't like him very much in his college days, but he seems to have figured it out a bit. I'm definitely pulling for him. Honestly, he should have never left Arkansas. If he had stayed and Petrino became his head coach, Mustain would likely be in the NFL right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)
Tommy Viola ‏@Tommy_the_V

Tommy Manzella signed by @whitesox and assigned to @KnightsBaseball today.

He had been playing for Milwaukee's AA team.