2012 Minor League Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 06:41 AM)
I didn't even know that affiliated teams and independent teams could make trades with each other.

He wasn't on an affiliated team.

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/railc...055ed8914d.html

GARY | The RailCats traded Hammond High grad Mike Coles to Winnipeg for in exchange for reliever Dexter Carter and a player to be named later.

Carter is a former White Sox farmhand who went 1-3 with a 3.99 ERA and six saves this season for the Goldeyes. He has 44 strikeouts in 38 1/3 innings.

Carter was a 13th Round pick of the White Sox in the 2008 Draft out of Old Dominion, Carter split his first four professional seasons between the White Sox and Padres organizations. He was dealt to the Padres as a part of the trade that brought Jake Peavy to the White Sox in 2009.

Coles was second on the team with a .300 batting average and 43 RBIs. He had three home runs in this, his second stint with the RailCats after playing for the club as a rookie in 2006.

Coles has also been an assistant coach at Bishop Noll and is attending Purdue Calumet to finish his degree that was started at Purdue University.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 11:03 PM)
Kevin Goldstein ‏@Kevin_Goldstein

Can really hit, but VERY few secondary skills. RT @samelladad1: @Kevin_Goldstein how about wsox 2b prospect carlos sanchez? any info?

Having just turned 20, should he really have those secondary skills yet? From everything about him pre-season, he was very solid defensively. I mean what does Goldstein want from the dude. Has a very solid walk rate for a guy so young. Solid speed. Little power, but he doens't project to hit more than 10 HRs.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 11, 2012 -> 01:03 AM)
I don't see it with Sanchez either. He could be a decent MLB player, but I'm not convinced of that.

If he plays second base, he becomes a four-tool player. Very good D, SS arm at 2B, ability to hit for average and speed. That's pretty solid for your second baseman.

I am obviously higher on him than you, but I just think he has that "it" quality. Granted, been burned before with similar guys like Sweeney and Reed.

I think there are too many minor league geeks (I'm one of them too, so I can say that) that hear what one scout has to say and they take it as gospel.

Sanchez is 20. I'd like to see what he can do over the next couple years before saying what he'll be 5-10 years from now.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
In addition to the Thompson and Hawkins promotions... Nevin Griffith was released, and Brandon Kloess was send down to B-Ham from Charlotte.

Nev is the poster child for "high risk, high reward" High bust rate. He never could get the control figured out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)
Nev is the poster child for "high risk, high reward" High bust rate. He never could get the control figured out.

He was also seemingly never the same after surgery in 2008. And this was his 6th year as a minor leaguer, whcih I think means he'd be a minor league FA in a month anyway. This year and last in AA were pretty miserable for him, posting 6+ ERA's, with BB/9 rates of 8.0 and 9.2.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)
He also gave up on throwing the pitch that made him a high pick after his injury

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)
He was also seemingly never the same after surgery in 2008.

I'm guessing these are related.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
Tommy Viola ‏@Tommy_the_V

Today's @KnightsBaseball roster moves: Justin Greene back from Birmingham, Damaso Espino activated off the DL, and Jose Lopez a Knight.

I think that's a good move by the Sox to get Lopez. He's much better option in September off the bench than Olmedo is, hitting wise at least.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 02:13 AM)
I think that's a good move by the Sox to get Lopez. He's much better option in September off the bench than Olmedo is, hitting wise at least.

Adam Dunn hs more range than Lopez.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)
Anyone interested in just listing a completely off-the-cuff Top Ten current sox minor league players? Can be as unscientific as need be

That could be a good topic for a seperate thread, see what people think right now.

FutureSox made a Top 25 list in July, where you can start as a reference point. It has only been a little over a month, but, some things have already changed on that list. A few players gone, some injuries, some hot and cold performances.