2012 Minor League Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 4, 2012 -> 12:51 AM)
"Bell: Saladino is a very good prospect, will start 2012 in Birmingham"

Uh, no. He's not. I've seen him play and talking to scouts, he's barely an average prospect right now.

Well, the numbers disagree. We'll see how he plays this year.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Feb 4, 2012 -> 02:47 AM)
Other than having a cool last name, this move is not of any importance, but the Sox resigned RHP Matt Zaleski. Even as a Charlotte/Birmingham filler, this make little sense to me. I already figure both of those clubs have full rotations.

He's an all purpose guy. He can start and throw 7 innings, or he can be a swing man, long reliever or whatever. He has value at AA and AAA.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 4, 2012 -> 12:51 AM)
"Bell: Saladino is a very good prospect, will start 2012 in Birmingham"

Uh, no. He's not. I've seen him play and talking to scouts, he's barely an average prospect right now.

Funny, every report I've ever seen keeps saying more and more good things about him. And people are rating him pretty highly, certainly more than "barely above average". You are the first person I've seen say otherwise. No one is saying he's an A+ guy, or a future all-star, but he's got a lot of value.

In any case, AA is always a big test, so this year will likely tell us a lot.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 10:23 AM)
Funny, every report I've ever seen keeps saying more and more good things about him. And people are rating him pretty highly, certainly more than "barely above average". You are the first person I've seen say otherwise. No one is saying he's an A+ guy, or a future all-star, but he's got a lot of value.

Wasn't Saladino hurt early last year? Wrist injury? 2012 is big year for him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 09:23 AM)

Sickels recently answered this Saladino question from one of his "All Questions Answered Threads."

Q: Tyler Saladino. Good power and approach as an age-appropriate high-A shortstop that has a decent chance to stick at the position. You have him higher on the White Sox list than any other outlet I’ve seen. What is the argument against him that lands him so low on other lists, and why do you think it’s wrong?

A: He's not special. The problem is the White Sox just don't have a lot of prospects. A successful Sleeper Alert! pick last year, Saladino was a seventh round pick in ’10 out of Oral Roberts. Although his physical tools are just average, he makes the most of them, providing solid power due to above-average bat speed and adequate strike zone judgment. He was one of the most productive hitters in the Carolina League last year with a 21 percent OPS, although opinions differ about how his bat will hold up against better competition. Scouts rate Saladino’s defensive tools as average. He has a strong arm but his range is just, well, average. However, he’s fundamentally sound and avoids stupid mistakes. I don’t know if Saladino will become a potential regular or not, but at worst he should be a fine utility player with some pop in his bat. If he keeps hitting well in Double-A, you can boost this rating a notch. Grade C.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/2/3/27...swered#90706540

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
Oh funnn!!!!!

Keenyn Walker @Keenyn_Walker

What is wrong with my hip?! Damn it hurts. Can barely even move

:crying

Wonder how long it takes for a White Sox official to read this and call him?

How does it help a player to tweet stuff like this?

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)
Wonder how long it takes for a White Sox official to read this and call him?

How does it help a player to tweet stuff like this?

I don't know, but now he just tweeted this....

About to go get a massage and lucky the family I'm stayin with is a chiropractor! Should be good to go tomorrow! Probably just from lifting

Either damage control realizing how bad his other tweet sounded, or he was just being dramatic the first time.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
I don't know, but now he just tweeted this....

About to go get a massage and lucky the family I'm stayin with is a chiropractor! Should be good to go tomorrow! Probably just from lifting

Either damage control realizing how bad his other tweet sounded, or he was just being dramatic the first time.

If this is true he could be in a lot of trouble. If he goes to a chiro without consulting with any of the team medical staff first, he will get in some deep #%&* from the team.

Edited by ptatc

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 08:56 PM)
I know the Sox are projected and expected to take a pitcher with the #13 overall pick, but I can't help but think Kenny is licking his lips if this guy falls to #13.....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/924427-...andings/page/11

He just looks like someone we would typically draft.

Victor broke his wrist yesterday. Likely to miss the entire season. Someone make a draft thread already!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)
Isn't "taking a guy in the 2nd who fell out of the first" what people would really like the Sox to do?

Potentially. I'm no doctor, but I'm somewhat leery of a broken wrist on a player who's calling card is his power. Depending on the severity of the injury, I'd wager he's picked up by a team with an abundance of picks. Maybe Oakland. He's a prospect not all that different from Choice who they took in 2010.

I still think the Sox will continue the trend of college pitching with their 1st rounder. That might be for the best due to their inability to develop legitimate position players.