2012 Minor League Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Confirmed Bayne for the rotation. Confirmed Corey Smith is on the Barons roster with Seth Loman and Andy Wilkins. Wonder what this means for Jon Gilmore and Juan Silverio?

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
Confirmed Bayne for the rotation. Confirmed Corey Smith is on the Barons roster with Seth Loman and Andy Wilkins. Wonder what this means for Jon Gilmore and Juan Silverio?

Smith is filler, he's probably just a bench guy. Wilkins 1B, Loman DH, I'd guess. Gilmore at 3B, Silverio is hard to say, maybe OF, maybe SS or 2B. Are the rosters up yet?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 10:10 AM)
Smith is filler, he's probably just a bench guy. Wilkins 1B, Loman DH, I'd guess. Gilmore at 3B, Silverio is hard to say, maybe OF, maybe SS or 2B. Are the rosters up yet?

Smith is going to play everyday and he can only play 1B and 3B on defense. B'ham roster is up. No Silverio, Dubler on the DL.

Edited by JPN366

Interesting to me that Shirek is the OD starter for Charlotte, but never made an appearance with the big club in Arizona. Also surprised he is starting at all, I really think he's better suited to relief work.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
Charlotte roster up, Olsen and Infante on the DL.

I wasn't aware Infante was hurt, anyone know the story there?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 01:12 PM)
Smith is going to play everyday and he can only play 1B and 3B on defense. B'ham roster is up. No Silverio, Dubler on the DL.

Unless he changes positions, no way Smith plays every day. He's not a prospect. He won't take playing time away from Gilmore, Silverio, Wilkins or even Loman.

B_Ham Roster

Thoughts... Henry Mabee is now, apparently, Hank Mabee. Remenowsky is back in B-Ham? That surprises me. Their catchers are Espino and Sierra? Yikes. Also, thought Morrison might be in AAA, guess I was wrong there. They have him listed as a 2B.

Charlotte Roster

Thoughts there... Whisler is back? Also they have only 3 healthy OF's on the squad, but I guess Johnson and Kuhn can fill in as needed.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
Interesting to me that Shirek is the OD starter for Charlotte, but never made an appearance with the big club in Arizona. Also surprised he is starting at all, I really think he's better suited to relief work.

I wasn't aware Infante was hurt, anyone know the story there?

Oblique injury. Not a lot of details out there.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)
Here's a pair of Barons previews: FutureSox and AL.com.

I see 25 on the active Charlotte roster. Who's the extra guy there?

B'ham has 25 too. Maybe they finally decided that it was arbitrary to only allow 24 at AAA and AA.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
Unless he changes positions, no way Smith plays every day. He's not a prospect. He won't take playing time away from Gilmore, Silverio, Wilkins or even Loman.

Don't be surprised. He's a AA lifer, he played for the Barons in 2006. Big bat. Loman may sit against lefties. I guess Silverio is in Extended, wonder if Taylor Thompson is too?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
B_Ham Roster

Thoughts... Henry Mabee is now, apparently, Hank Mabee. Remenowsky is back in B-Ham? That surprises me. Their catchers are Espino and Sierra? Yikes. Also, thought Morrison might be in AAA, guess I was wrong there. They have him listed as a 2B.

Charlotte Roster

Thoughts there... Whisler is back? Also they have only 3 healthy OF's on the squad, but I guess Johnson and Kuhn can fill in as needed.

Mabee got cut early last year from B'ham, then they re-signed him over the winter. Maybe he decided that going by the shortened version of Henry was cooler. Whisler is a lefty side armer/LOOGY now, so he may still have a future. Jim Gallagher can play the corner outfield spots as well.

Gonna be going out of town for work in New Orleans. Anyone good/worth watching on the Zephyrs? Never been to a minor league game before, figure this would be a good time...

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 08:22 PM)
Gonna be going out of town for work in New Orleans. Anyone good/worth watching on the Zephyrs? Never been to a minor league game before, figure this would be a good time...

Matt Dominguez is the best prospect on the team, but there are a few other names who you'll probably recognize. Also, Gary Glover - yes, that Gary Glover - is on the team as well as Cole Armstrong, who caught in the Sox system for about 4 years.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)
He'd be our top prospect by far, it would seem

And not only that, the Dbacks are in a position that they could trade Holmberg as part of a final piece of a pennant run because they have so much pitching depth in their farm system. Compared to the Sox a couple years ago, that had no pitching depth and very little chance of making the playoffs with or without Edwin Jackson.

Edited by flavum