Sox rolling dice in Rule 5

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 01:21 PM)
They should have been aggressive and moved Rios in 2010, but didn't do so because they were "Borderline" in the race, and then a miracle occurred. "Borderline in the race" has been enough reason to fail to do what was necessary for this team 2 years in a row.

Great.

But obviously things have changed a wee bit, otherwise we wouldn't be shopping Danks, Floyd, Q, Thornton etc. The idea that Jordan Danks getting picked in the Rule 5 not letting us deal Alex Rios is irrational at best.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
Great.

But obviously things have changed a wee bit, otherwise we wouldn't be shopping Danks, Floyd, Q, Thornton etc. The idea that Jordan Danks getting picked in the Rule 5 not letting us deal Alex Rios is irrational at best.

If we went into July 2 games back of first place, and Dunn and Rios were putting up average seasons for themselves, would they get moved? The right answer should be yes, the real answer I'd guess would wind up being no.

Any reason I can come up with to "encourage" a GM to do the right thing and pull the plug on Rios the second he can be moved I could as a good one, even if it's just Jordan Danks's defense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)
If we went into July 2 games back of first place, and Dunn and Rios were putting up average seasons for themselves, would they get moved? The right answer should be yes, the real answer I'd guess would wind up being no.

Any reason I can come up with to "encourage" a GM to do the right thing and pull the plug on Rios the second he can be moved I could as a good one, even if it's just Jordan Danks's defense.

I can't believe you are actually trying to defend this one.

Jordan Danks has less than nothing to do with Alex Rios's status with the Sox. Making up some scenario doesn't change that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 12:03 PM)
"Well, sure, we could move Alex Rios, he's hit OK, but we lost our defensive replacement CF in the Rule 5 draft. So I guess we're going to have to hold onto Rios for another year."

This is just silly, Balta baiting.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 01:21 PM)
They should have been aggressive and moved Rios in 2010, but didn't do so because they were "Borderline" in the race, and then a miracle occurred. "Borderline in the race" has been enough reason to fail to do what was necessary for this team 2 years in a row.

If we're going to play in the world of "should haves"...

The Sox "should have" avoided taking on someone else's problem at such a costly rate in the first rate.

They "should have" let Detroit claim him.

Kenny "should have" been fired over this move alone.

I "should have" stopped watching 2011 White Sox baseball in May when it was apparent Ozzie was more interested in tweeting than winning.

I "should have" stayed out of Pale Hose Talk today, since it never contains anything remotely encouraging.

Edited by Steve9347

Jordan Danks struck out about half the time his last 100 or so ABs in AAA. He's not very good. If someone takes him they will be doing the Sox a $50k favor. 25 year olds with little power who strike out over 300 times in 2 seasons in AAA generally don't pan out.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
Wow.

Guys, they'd roster him if we was worth it. He's never shown evidence that he can hit at anything close to an acceptable rate. We can find someone to play solid defense and hit like a pitcher if we need. Let's not let this stress us out.

to be fair, before his injury (wrist i think?), he was pretty damn good offensively. the strikeouts were still there, but he had power to go with it, to summarize: he looked at least major league ready, whereas now, he's nowhere close offensively

with that said, i agree, this isn't a huge deal. it's odd, as I thought the Sox were trying to keep John and Jordan together, even if they were traded. as it stands now, if Jordan gets picked up in the Rule 5, the only way John joins him is if we seek that team out and trade him to Jordan's new team, or if John signs w/ that team next year in FA

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 05:42 AM)
to be fair, before his injury (wrist i think?), he was pretty damn good offensively. the strikeouts were still there, but he had power to go with it, to summarize: he looked at least major league ready, whereas now, he's nowhere close offensively

with that said, i agree, this isn't a huge deal. it's odd, as I thought the Sox were trying to keep John and Jordan together, even if they were traded. as it stands now, if Jordan gets picked up in the Rule 5, the only way John joins him is if we seek that team out and trade him to Jordan's new team, or if John signs w/ that team next year in FA

Jordan Danks has never flashed enough power to even remotely offset his Dunn-like propensity to K. He's horses*** (as a player), never been much of a prospect and wouldn't have garnered anywhere near the attention he did for a while there if he hadn't been related to John.

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 02:11 PM)
It would be Classic White Sox if JorDanks caught on with another team and flourished...

Um, no. That's just being negative for no reason. And that's sad coming from me. Jordan wouldn't hit .200 in the big leagues as even a part-time player. He's left-handed Brian Anderson.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
Jordan Danks has never flashed enough power to even remotely offset his Dunn-like propensity to K. He's horses*** (as a player), never been much of a prospect and wouldn't have garnered anywhere near the attention he did for a while there if he hadn't been related to John.

This. And I wouldn't be surprised if he goes unclaimed, or he's claimed by a team only hoping to sign John Danks after next season.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)

The first part (power vs K's) is true, and the second part (he's not a good player/prospect right now) is also true. However, the third part (that his attention is due to his brother) just isn't true. Jordan was well thought of at the time of the draft, and most people thought the power would come. His defense certainly progressed as advertised, but the power never really developed. He also never could make enough contact to be a major league hitter. These things happen all the time with prospects, but he wasn't some no-name prospect that people only got excited about because of his brother (ok, maybe SOME people did that, but he was a legitimately interesting prospect in his own right).

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
The first part (power vs K's) is true, and the second part (he's not a good player/prospect right now) is also true. However, the third part (that his attention is due to his brother) just isn't true. Jordan was well thought of at the time of the draft, and most people thought the power would come. His defense certainly progressed as advertised, but the power never really developed. He also never could make enough contact to be a major league hitter. These things happen all the time with prospects, but he wasn't some no-name prospect that people only got excited about because of his brother (ok, maybe SOME people did that, but he was a legitimately interesting prospect in his own right).

He wasn't as well thought of as you think after all he was a 7th round pick, if his name was Jordan Guillen, that would have caused a huge problem. Right now, if his name was Jordan Smith and he performed the same, no one would even notice he was left unprotected. I really doubt anyone takes him. The only 7th round pick by the White Sox who actually broke into the majors with the club since the draft began is Matt Merullo. Only 6 White Sox 7th round draft picks have played major league baseball. The only 2 who have accomplished anything both didn't sign, Warren Cromartie and Willie McGee. Jordan Danks would be beating the odds just to have a cup of coffee with the White Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
He wasn't as well thought of as you think after all he was a 7th round pick, if his name was Jordan Guillen, that would have caused a huge problem. Right now, if his name was Jordan Smith and he performed the same, no one would even notice he was left unprotected. I really doubt anyone takes him. The only 7th round pick by the White Sox who actually broke into the majors with the club since the draft began is Matt Merullo. Only 6 White Sox 7th round draft picks have played major league baseball. The only 2 who have accomplished anything both didn't sign, Warren Cromartie and Willie McGee. Jordan Danks would be beating the odds just to have a cup of coffee with the White Sox.

He was a 7th round pick because his agent on day 1 was Scott Boras and although he probably belonged as a 2nd round pick, no one wanted to deal with a Boras holdout and first round signing bonus demand for him.

The real worry going in was that the White Sox would pick him in round 1 with the 8th pick because he didn't belong nearly that high, but he was a solid 2nd round talent that the Sox got by going over-slot in the 7th.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)
He was a 7th round pick because his agent on day 1 was Scott Boras and although he probably belonged as a 2nd round pick, no one wanted to deal with a Boras holdout and first round signing bonus demand for him.

The real worry going in was that the White Sox would pick him in round 1 with the 8th pick because he didn't belong nearly that high, but he was a solid 2nd round talent that the Sox got by going over-slot in the 7th.

If he was a second round talent, surely some team with a decent working relationship with Boras would have snapped him up before round 7.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
If he was a second round talent, surely some team with a decent working relationship with Boras would have snapped him up before round 7.

That's not how the draft works unfortunately. Or I guess I should say worked. The changes made to the draft may not allow for many more picks like Jordan in round 7.