Sox Winter Meetings thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 05:58 PM)
Peavy saying he doesn't want to be part of a rebuilding process due to the team struggling and having a bloated payroll is like Tigers Woods sleeping with 100 women and then telling Elin that he doesn't want to be in a troubled marriage. Dear Jake....shut up before you pull a muscle in your mouth.

I'm not sure that it's Peavy (assuming that the story is true)....

The list of candidates include:

AJ, Konerko, Peavy, Thornton.

I have a hard time believing that the three players - Dunn, Rios and Peavy - most responsible for the payroll squeeze and underachieving team would have the nerve to request a trade. I could be wrong, and wouldn't be shocked if I were incorrect, but I would think it's one of the 3 names other than Peavy that i mentioned above, and, guess what, if Williams decides to move Floyd and/or Danks, along with losing Buerhle, what sense does it make to keep Konerko or AJ?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 06:39 PM)
I'm not sure that it's Peavy (assuming that the story is true)....

The list of candidates include:

AJ, Konerko, Peavy, Thornton.

I have a hard time believing that the three players - Dunn, Rios and Peavy - most responsible for the payroll squeeze and underachieving team would have the nerve to request a trade. I could be wrong, and wouldn't be shocked if I were incorrect, but I would think it's one of the 3 names other than Peavy that i mentioned above, and, guess what, if Williams decides to move Floyd and/or Danks, along with losing Buerhle, what sense does it make to keep Konerko or AJ?

I'd actually be surprised if it weren't Peavy. I've truly grown to hate that guy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
\Bingo. And the Sox would love to deal him if they get the chance. The problem is no one will want him.

The Sox owe him something like $6 million for next season so they would probably have to assume at least half of the money in order to move the 2nd half of the contract, and get nothing more than a marginal prospect in return.

I wonder if the Sox are talking to Marlins about AJ. Ozzie always liked him and he could platoon with Buck, or maybe Ozzie doesn't want Buck to be his everyday starter. I don't think they'd get much for AJ but they'd rid his salary which should be good enough.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 06:48 PM)
I wonder if the Sox are talking to Marlins about AJ. Ozzie always liked him and he could platoon with Buck, or maybe Ozzie doesn't want Buck to be his everyday starter. I don't think they'd get much for AJ but they'd rid his salary which should be good enough.

Florida may make some sense since they seem to be throwing money all over the place. If they want to add a lefty bat, the Sox would still have to eat half of that salary, but if Ozzie isn't sick of him, there could be some sense to that.

I thought it was funny that after talking to my sportwriter friend last week, he put a blurb in his "Rumblings" column on Friday about the Sox and Reds talking trade. It's about 1/2 way down.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sp...gugf418i-1.html

In a couple emails we've exchanged since then he's said that Alonso is the most likely target but I wouldn't put Jay Bruce off the Sox's radar either.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 08:22 PM)
Kenny is there. Thanks for showing up 24 hours late.

I figure the following will occur. He will go into this trying to ask for the world. In the end he only moves Quentin for a MLB ready c prospect and declares victory. He checks his magic dice and decides one last round of all in by nature of keeping the same team. The man doesn't have the stomach to rebuild. It's the tinker and pray approach. Buehrle goes to another team. And if anything we sign a reliever to round out the pen.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 08:09 PM)
I thought it was funny that after talking to my sportwriter friend last week, he put a blurb in his "Rumblings" column on Friday about the Sox and Reds talking trade. It's about 1/2 way down.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sp...gugf418i-1.html

In a couple emails we've exchanged since then he's said that Alonso is the most likely target but I wouldn't put Jay Bruce off the Sox's radar either.

Maybe we're finally getting around to trading Jermaine Dye for Homer Bailey and Chris Dickerson.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 09:48 PM)
ESPN winter meeting special it is sad to see for Sox all it says is shed payroll through trades, that gets people excited for 2012! :snow KW will be fleeced again!

I'm just itchin for this all to go down. Can't wait - will be glued to screen for months. :)

Is it March yet?