Sox Winter Meetings thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 10:45 AM)
I could see KW falling in love with Gary Brown's speed and potential as leadoff hitter. Giants did trade their top pitching prospect last year for Beltran (Wheeler).

Funny you should bring him up. I just heard an interview with him a few days ago on KNBR. First off, he sounds like a great guy. Then I watched a youtube video, and he can fly, but he did make some bad routes in the outfield.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so your barometer on whether to rebuild or not seems to fall on whether they resign Mark Buerhle. Is that fair to say?

I don't think it's the entire barometer, but a good chunk of it. The chances of winning in 2012 are much higher with Mark than without. I can see a scenario where they lose out on Mark yet still decide to go for it by keeping Danks/Floyd/Quentin, but I don't see a scenario where they re-sign Mark yet dump major salary and rebuild.

Even if they've decided not to keep Mark and to a major rebuild, it doesn't make sense to trade Danks/Floyd until there are teams who are more desperate after having missed out on Mark and CJ Wilson, unless there is some team out there who makes some kind of insane offer that KW just can't refuse.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)
The Sox are not going to resign Buehrle. Why is there so much speculation that they will?! Let it go, people.

Because it is still in the FO's plans to bring him back. I have firsthand knowledge that this is part of their plan granted some team doesnt give him 4 years at 15 million. But hey, continue with your statements.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)
Because it is still in the FO's plans to bring him back. I have firsthand knowledge that this is part of their plan granted some team doesnt give him 4 years at 15 million. But hey, continue with your statements.

I have zero firsthand knowledge, but that's what I've been thinking too. They are letting him test the market, but as long someone doesn't go overboard on their offer, they will try to match and keep him.

Is Buerhle going to come back and lose one year that he could have gotten elsewhere and potentially less money in the first 3 years?

Also, based upon your projected pitching staff in the other thread where you no longer have Danks and Floyd, why would Buerhle willingingly return for less years (and money) for a team that appears to be quasi-rebuilding? Why not take more years and more money and sign with Florida or Washington?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:29 PM)
Is Buerhle going to come back and lose one year that he could have gotten elsewhere and potentially less money in the first 3 years?

I think he's saying that he won't be back if some team offers him the four years and $15 million, but if the offers are 3 years, $36-40 million, they will make him a similar offer.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
Also, based upon your projected pitching staff in the other thread where you no longer have Danks and Floyd, why would Buerhle willingingly return for less years (and money) for a team that appears to be quasi-rebuilding? Why not take more years and more money and sign with Florida or Washington?

#1 he has a built in no-trade clause here already

#2 Buehrle cares alot less about money than most pro athletes. If we are in the ballpark he comes back.

The Sox hire a guy (Marco Paddy) from Toronto last week... and trade with the Blue Jays this week to get a player he signed.

They also hired a scout (Kevin Bootay) who's been with the Twins and Rangers. Wonder who he's signed that we're looking into.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
If this Thornton to braves thing happens, I hope Quentin is in a package deal to actually get something good back.

That was my first thought when seeing the Cowley tweet as well. If memory serves, Q was mentioned for guys like Brandon Beachy, correct? I would assume (hope) a package of Thornton and Quentin would be able to get a solid return and tap into that pool of strong SPs Atlanta has been apparently garnering.