Sox Winter Meetings thread

NorthSideSox72

I have a feeling he's going to make a lot of deals in a "rebuild" mode, but I just hate this because we are stuck with Dunn and Rios.

Since we are stuck with them, I think we should put off rebuilding and tweak.

It makes no sense to have a batch of young players if we have to play Dunn n Rios every day.

Let the trading begin.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)
I would like to see the Sox get Martin Perez for Danks and Q to the Phillies for D Brown

What's the background on Perez - research showed little other than Keith Law's #7 MLB prospect pick.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 10:33 AM)
Yankees interested in SP not signed beyond 2013 because of 2014 luxury tax, need a lefty in pen. Danks and Thornton mentioned. Blue Jays have been looking at Beckham.

Link

I'm not a big fan of Beckham, but what's the point in moving him now? His value can't be very high around the league. If I'm Williams, I keep him (unless somebody else just completely gets stupid in their compsenation offer for him) and make him earn his job in spring training, whether that's competition from one of the players acquired from Florida or maybe Brent Lillibridge, who I know may not be as good defensively as Beckham was, and was incredibly valuable in a utility role last season, but is not somebody I want to keep in that role at the expense of Beckham's struggles at the plate.

cst_Cowley

@cst_Cowley cst_Cowley

Just heard the latest on the Buehrle front from a source. Three teams have the money and the three years on the table.

@cst_Cowley cst_Cowley

As I reported Thursday, Buehrle wants a no-trade, and that is still yet to be met. Two of the teams are close to changing that stance.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
cst_Cowley

@cst_Cowley cst_Cowley

Just heard the latest on the Buehrle front from a source. Three teams have the money and the three years on the table.

@cst_Cowley cst_Cowley

As I reported Thursday, Buehrle wants a no-trade, and that is still yet to be met. Two of the teams are close to changing that stance.

Joe said we arent one of the teams. But Mark will give us the last chance before he signs.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
I'm not a big fan of Beckham, but what's the point in moving him now? His value can't be very high around the league. If I'm Williams, I keep him (unless somebody else just completely gets stupid in their compsenation offer for him) and make him earn his job in spring training, whether that's competition from one of the players acquired from Florida or maybe Brent Lillibridge, who I know may not be as good defensively as Beckham was, and was incredibly valuable in a utility role last season, but is not somebody I want to keep in that role at the expense of Beckham's struggles at the plate.

Agreed on Beckham. If this is a real rebuild, deal Ramirez and put Lillibridge at short.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 10:45 AM)
Agreed on Beckham. If this is a real rebuild, deal Ramirez and put Lillibridge at short.

A real rebuild would have Escobar there (barring trade for another ML ready young SS) unless sox still thinks he needs another year in AAA with the bat (or how highly they view him at all).

cst_Cowley

@cst_Cowley cst_Cowley

@cst_Cowley cst_Cowley

Unless the dollars are matchable, a no trade would be automatic with the Sox, and three years is doable.

A change in plans forced cancellation of general manager Ken Williams' conference call Saturday with reporters.

Driving up prices?

Change of plans? Reading comments here and on various sites I think maybe the change of plans could be that the company car wouldn't start as it needed a new engine- a complete overhaul- and the team is so broke It couldn't even afford to rotate the tires or change the oil now everything must be replaced. KW just couldn't make it as he is looking to hock off spare parts to fix up the old jalopy. :bang :bringit :gosox1:

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)

A change in plans forced cancellation of general manager Ken Williams' conference call Saturday with reporters.

Driving up prices?

Change of plans? Reading comments here and on various sites I think maybe the change of plans could be that the company car wouldn't start as it needed a new engine- a complete overhaul- and the team is so broke It couldn't even afford to rotate the tires or change the oil now everything must be replaced. KW just couldn't make it as he is looking to hock off spare parts to fix up the old jalopy. :bang :bringit :gosox1:

what is this crap? you are the one telling us we need to keep the car because the front right cv joint was recently replaced, and the rear passenger side tire is kind of new, and the steering wheel isnt so bad.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
Can't blame Buehrle for wanting a no-trade. Hell, if these teams knew anything about him, they shouldn't even approach him without knowing a no-trade is a must.

I'm sticking with Washington as his next team.

Unless Kenny is going for it this year, I hope Mark signs anywhere but Chicago. It would be kind of neat if Washington signed both CJ and MB.

Can't blame Buehrle for wanting a no-trade. Hell, if these teams knew anything about him, they shouldn't even approach him without knowing a no-trade is a must.

I wouldn't mind that at all if he's not coming back here. Stras, JZimm, and Mark would be a very nice threesome.

I'll be surprised if the Sox don't match a 3-year offer.

cst_Cowley

@cst_Cowley cst_Cowley

@cst_Cowley cst_Cowley

He also mentioned a "mystery" 4th team. Hey Joe, you haven't named the teams, they all are mysteries.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
I'll be surprised if the Sox don't match a 3-year offer.

I think the Sox should offer 4 with a no trade clause, or three with options. There is no reason we can't match what others might put out there moneywise and we can offer the years and no trade clause others might not