Sergio Santos traded to Toronto

Steve9347

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:43 PM)
His numbers remind me of De Los Santos from A ball. And we see what happened to him...traded away and now where? A player with limited AA innings just isn't that 'sure of a thing'. Santos should have brought more than this.

DLS blew out his elbow - hard to say what could have been.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:45 PM)
Dude, it's Keith Law talking about a White Sox-Blue Jays trade, wtf do you think he's going to say?

Wait, people still believe that stuff? Even though it's been proven he wasn't even working there at the time of the Wells/Sorotka trade?

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:43 PM)
His numbers remind me of De Los Santos from A ball. And we see what happened to him...traded away and now where? A player with limited AA innings just isn't that 'sure of a thing'. Santos should have brought more than this.

If Bailey is dealt by Oakland, Fautino will be Oakland's closer next year. He's doing good after TJ surgery in 08.

As of right now I'm not a big fan of this trade. Santos is a good, young, proven and cheap closer. I don't have a problem with the Sox trading him but I think in the long run they could've gotten more for him.

As for Molina, we'll see how he turns out but Jim Callis of BA just said on the score that he not a top of the rotation guy, more of a 3-4 SP when he/if he's ready. It's not like this is the Mulder for Haren trade. Plus for every Jon Danks you might acquire in a trade like this, there's 5 Jeff Marquez's.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
Have we forgot the start of last year? The blown saves we never recovered from? Then came Sergio and at least you could invest 3 hrs watching a game and have confidence we could hold a win. Ready for that feeling again?

IF we're going to play that game then what happened the last month of the season? And Addison Reed wasn't on the big league team and once again if we're truly rebuilding then who gives a f***?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
Sounds to me like the salary unloading is not going very well. Which means at least one of Floyd/Danks will be with the team this season.

Are you saying re-signing Buehrle is contingent upon trading Floyd/Danks/CQ/Thornton or whoever else? I can't see Buehrle coming back to a rebuilding team.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
As of right now I'm not a big fan of this trade. Santos is a good, young, proven and cheap closer. I don't have a problem with the Sox trading him but I think in the long run they could've gotten more for him.

As for Molina, we'll see how he turns out but Jim Callis of BA just said on the score that he not a top of the rotation guy, more of a 3-4 SP when he/if he's ready. It's not like this is the Mulder for Haren trade. Plus for every Jon Danks you might acquire in a trade like this, there's 5 Jeff Marquez's.

This just proved you have no idea what you are talking about.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:46 PM)
DLS blew out his elbow - hard to say what could have been.

Yes and he was one hell of a prospect at the time, which still didn't prevent KW from sending HIM + Gio + Sweeney to Oakland for Swisher.

So while I won't suggest Santos is NEAR as valuable as Joe Di...err, Nick Swisher, it makes no sense how we could trade the bucketload we traded to Oakland (yes Sweeney is MEH and DLS blew out his elbow) and then get only this in return for Santos.

I have NO PROBLEM with the player we acquired, I just believe we didn't get enough. Of course, if this guy makes the Sox staff out of Spring training and wins 15 games then thats egg on my face I suppose.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
Supposedly this Molina kid has a plus splitter, and if you combine that with excellent command than yea, you have a potential all-star pitcher.

It seems the overwhelming consensus is that he's a middle of the rotation guy. A number 3 as his ceiling. Could be a 2 though. I still like the trade.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)

Wonder if Jon Danks is friends with John Garland. Anyways, nobody in the world thought highly of Jeff Marquez at the time we acquired him.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 06:47 PM)
Have we forgot the start of last year? The blown saves we never recovered from? Then came Sergio and at least you could invest 3 hrs watching a game and have confidence we could hold a win. Ready for that feeling again?

6 blown saves, 3.55 ERA....not exactly Mariano

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:49 PM)
It seems the overwhelming consensus is that he's a middle of the rotation guy. A number 3 as his ceiling. Could be a 2 though. I still like the trade.

I've got high hopes for a pitcher with a strong splitter working with Coop.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:49 PM)
Are you saying re-signing Buehrle is contingent upon trading Floyd/Danks/CQ/Thornton or whoever else? I can't see Buehrle coming back to a rebuilding team.

Re-signing Buehrle is contingent upon salary relief. If we cant unload salary we arent going to pay Buehrle.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
Wait, people still believe that stuff? Even though it's been proven he wasn't even working there at the time of the Wells/Sorotka trade?

He has a stick up his ass for the Sox. See: anything he's ever written about the sox.

The dude still thinks Sale was a bad pick. He's a tool

Kevin_Goldstein Kevin Goldstein

Remember all those people telling me Nestor Molina was a future one? That guy got you Sergio Santos. #NotAOne

3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Kevin_Goldstein Kevin Goldstein

That's the thing, this is actually a pretty good trade for both side if you are realistic about what Molina is.

1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)

I don't care why he has a vendetta against the Sox but he certainly does...

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
I've got high hopes for a pitcher with a strong splitter working with Coop.

You and me both. But until then, I just go with the guys who know WAY more about these players than I do.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
I wouldn't say Santos is a proven closer yet. He had one of the highest ERAs for a closer in the majors.

Middle of the road in conversion% ....2nd in MLB in K/9 and BAA for closers....a solid 1.11 WHIP. I'm not a saber guy so not sure about advanced stats, but his overall numbers certainly put him in the middle or upper-middle tier of closers, imo.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
Man that contract for Sanots is so team friendly. I hope he doesnt turn into the dominant closer for the Jays that I thought he could be.

I envisioned someone trading for him at the price of a quality reliever and then stretching him out into a starter.

But regardless, I like this trade. The position with Addison Reed and Santos is EXACTLY the benefit of having a functioning minor league system. Due to Reed's emergence, we were allowed to deal Santos for a quality prospect. This is how it's done.

Whether this means we're blowing up the team, I sure hope it does. Santos on this team versus not was never going to be the difference in this team contending for a playoff spot.

Edited by Flash Tizzle