Braun tests postitive for PEDs

Sockin

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)
The blood testing along with HGH will go a long way towards doing this. Much more difficult to cheat a blood test.

Yeah, I was very glad to see that this would be part of the new regimen.

One question ptatc, do blood samples maintain their integrity forever, if frozen, or otherwise? Such that if a test is developed down the road for substances that players are getting away with using now, can those earlier samples be tested in the same way as a fresh one?

The threat of future pariah status for players that are clever/lucky enough not to get caught during their careers, could be at least a bit of a deterrent for some.

Verbiage mandating retroactive testing should be part of the next CBA, if it isn't in the current one. I realize that this is another leap in concessions needed from the union, but most of us, while hoping for it, didn't think the blood/HGH testing would become a reality so soon.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)
I know it's similar, but it's also extremely different. Braun got caught like a week after being given the award. It seems pretty stupid that he'd be allowed to keep it.

I agree it is stupid, but is there much of a difference between a week, a month, or 5 years? Either he earned it or not. And as noted he wasn't caught during the season, it is probably he's to keep. But no matter how hard he tries to clean it up and give it a shine, it will never shine as bright as the "clean" players.

The Associated Press held a re-vote on Brian Cushing's Defensive Rookie of the Year award 2 years ago after tests showed he had elevated levels of some hormone in his system 4 months after winning the award. So there is some precedence in another sport.

I like the idea of a re-vote on the NL MVP award after his appeal is heard.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 09:49 PM)
If the writers aren't going to vote roiders into the hall then how the hell can they not strip Braun of the mvp?

It'll only happen if they re-open the vote. I can't imagine baseball taking an award away even if he does deserve it.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 10:49 PM)
If the writers aren't going to vote roiders into the hall then how the hell can they not strip Braun of the mvp?

The HOF is an independent organization that is not subject to the rules of collective bargaining. League organized awards are run directly through the league, to the point where those awards can be included in people's contracts.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 07:30 AM)
The HOF is an independent organization that is not subject to the rules of collective bargaining. League organized awards are run directly through the league, to the point where those awards can be included in people's contracts.

Awards don't have to be officially sanctioned to be a part of someone's contract incentives.

The old "private medical issue" excuse.

foxsports

National League MVP Ryan Braun's failed drug test was the result of medication he was taking for a "private medical issue," a source told TMZ Monday.

The Milwaukee Brewers outfielder tested positive for a substance that is banned under Major League Baseball's drug policy. The result was announced Dec. 10, but Braun said he had known about the positive test since late October.

Last week, a source told FOX Sports that the test result was not linked to a performance-enhancing drug. The original report from ESPN stated the 28-year-old Braun had elevated levels of testosterone.

The specific issue for which Braun was taking the medication is unclear, but the source told TMZ the medication contained the substances which triggered the failed test.

Immediately after the test result was announced, a spokesman for Braun called the situation "highly unusual" and said the four-time All-Star was confident he would be exonerated.

Braun's .332 batting average in 2011 was second in the National League, and Braun led the league in slugging percentage at .597 and on-base plus slugging percentage (OPS) at .994.

Is TMZ really all that reliable with these sources?

In any event, what is so private that he can't tell the team doctors so they can check the ingredients?

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
The old "private medical issue" excuse.

foxsports

Is TMZ really all that reliable with these sources?

In any event, what is so private that he can't tell the team doctors so they can check the ingredients?

Sounds like someone may have caught a case of the herps.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 09:49 PM)

The timing would be the easiest reason why. I do not believe he would have won the award if he was caught during the season.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
Ptact, is this herpes thing even possible?

I don't think so. From what I've read, the meds could produce a positive test. However, he would need to take massive amounts of the drugs to do it. Somewhere in the range of 200 times the presciption amount per day.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 04:58 PM)
I don't think so. From what I've read, the meds could produce a positive test. However, he would need to take massive amounts of the drugs to do it. Somewhere in the range of 200 times the presciption amount per day.

And if you know that, I don't understand why they don't know that...seems silly to create an excuse if it is obviously silly and impossible.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)
And if you know that, I don't understand why they don't know that...seems silly to create an excuse if it is obviously silly and impossible.

Because that excuse will work for a large contingent of people. People like us, who are willing to look for the answer, will find out easily from guys like ptatc that it's impossible. A lot of people will hear his excuse and believe it. Never underestimate human ignorance.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)

Athletes try it all the time. There was a female swimmer from Ireland a few years ago you said she failed due to birth control pills. These would cause a positive test if she took 400 per day.

Lance Armstrong tested positive for EPO (he tested positive before it was banned for cycling so no action was taken). He claimed it was treatment for his testicular cancer. Again it was far and above what would be normally administrered.

Athletes attempt to come up with legal drugs to explain positive tests to provide their excuses. It makes them look better.

I have not worked in MLB since the drug testing started so I'm not familiar with what they consider a positive test. But from what I've read and what is on the graprevine, this could get ugly with the amount banned substance he had in his system.